Discovery in Scotland

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Were these remote, wild islands the centre of everything?

p03bq0nk.jpg

p03bq0r6.jpg

Excerpt:

Archaeologists spend eight weeks digging at the Ness of Brodgar each summer; the day I visited was the last of the 2015 season. It looked like a construction yard, one where several large buildings were being built from dry stone. And built extremely well. The walls of one structure was 4m thick; the building corners squared off at sharp 90-degree angles. Each stone, while slightly different, fit perfectly flush with the next. (You can see the excavations yourself with this 3D model).

The difference, of course, was that the site wasn’t being constructed, but excavated. And that this building had taken place some 5,500 years ago – before mortar or plaster, axes or levels, metal or wheels, even hard hats.

And that was exactly the point.

Archaeologists have known for a long time that Neolithic people hardly lived in the kind of caricature world of the Flintstones. Take 5,000-year-old Skara Brae: the village’s houses had insulation between their two-layered stone walls; furniture including built-in stone dressers and stone box beds that would have been made soft and warm with animal skins and plants; and even, in one home, Britain’s earliest toilet.

“They were no different from us. They were just as inventive – and in some ways more inventive,” Card said. “When most people think about the Stone Age, even the New Stone Age, and the advent of farming, they think of it as a very simple lifestyle. But I think Neolithic society was more or less as dynamic and complex as our society today.”

Fascinating Debi.
Amazing intricate work. Where I live I am surrounded by ruined black houses (traditional stone built houses with thatched roofs) which range from a few thousand years old to a hundred years old. What amazes me it is only the truly ancient ones that have squared worked stone ! Every single modern one (modern being less than 1000yrs) just uses raw naturally shaped stone. Nothing on the scale of the pyramids but certainly makes me think that technology took a step back.

Reactions: Debi
I always love the input from you Scots out there. You add such insight that is not found in some of these stories.

I find it fascinating that you no longer use the worked stone! How interesting! Someday I hope to get to visit the "lands" as I call you over there and see these wonders for myself. Still on my bucket list.

Reactions: Calum
:)
You got to start ticking off that list Debi - You never know what's round the corner :)

Oh ! I hope Aleister Crowley's house wasn't on your list. unfortunately burnt down yesterday
Firefighters called to historic Boleskine House on Loch Ness - BBC News
I heard that! Believe it or not, I saw that somewhere yesterday...meant to post it but I think Santa stuff got in the way around here. Thanks for posting that!

I'm trying to tick a few things off, me dear, but those "things around the corner" have already snuck in and derailed a few plans. But, one always has hope!

Santa always has priority lol

It's not the best article but has the best pictures. The guardian and Telegraph have better articles with the kinda possibly click bait headline of, "Former home of 'most evil man in Britain' burns down" lol

I hate the those things round the corner and we should banish them!
Hope is very powerful and can help us achieve more than we by right probably should.
Wishing you well Debi :)

Reactions: Debi
Not to worry...do that kind of thing all the time myself around here. lol

Reactions: Calum