Discontinued/Defunct Brands and Products

272152479_4844552255623406_8556553733765582655_n.jpg

When I was younger, my bank still required a "man's name" on an account. It wasn't until after 1974 that I could have an account in my own name. I was 21, divorced and had a child, and up until that time my dad had to be on my account for me to have one.
Wow that’s shocking, I must have missed this.

Wow that’s shocking, I must have missed this.
You are younger than me so just missed this insanity. And getting a credit card you could simply forget until several years later.

"in 1974, the Equal Credit Opportunity Act passed which was supposed to prohibit credit discrimination on the basis of gender. Before its passage, many banks granted credit cards to women only with their husbands' signatures and outright refused to issue them to unmarried women."

Ohhh dear...I remember these...

I distinctly remember the last day of cigarette commercials on TV in the US, 1 Jan 1971. All the major bowl games were played that day, and probably 90% of the commercials shown during the games were for cigarettes. That night I also remember a cigarette commercial on Johnny Carson just before midnight. Some sources claim that was the very last cigarette commercial shown on national (US) television.

I distinctly remember the last day of cigarette commercials on TV in the US, 1 Jan 1971. All the major bowl games were played that day, and probably 90% of the commercials shown during the games were for cigarettes. That night I also remember a cigarette commercial on Johnny Carson just before midnight. Some sources claim that was the very last cigarette commercial shown on national (US) television.
I also remember that. I was 17 and my dad lit one up every time one was shown.

Debi, my head is reeling from that video.
Garnet, I grew up watching those! lol It was a very weird time. Especially for women. We were raised to believe we were to be looking for a husband to protect us and then I hit 18 and suddenly there was the feminine revolution. Things got a bit confusing for a bit.

Reactions: garnetsilver
Garnet, I grew up watching those! lol It was a very weird time. Especially for women. We were raised to believe we were to be looking for a husband to protect us and then I hit 18 and suddenly there was the feminine revolution. Things got a bit confusing for a bit.
I saw those commercials too, and they always left me feeling disgruntled. Even as a child, I wondered why the cartoons aimed at boys were filled with interesting toys and those aimed at girls were more for housekeeping skills. :confused:

Reactions: Debi
Closer to topic, who remembers the original green bottle of Prell shampoo? This stuff was so harsh beauticians used it to pull dye colors out of hair!

Reactions: garnetsilver