Discontinued/Defunct Brands and Products

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
What brands/products from your yesteryears no longer exist? Were they products routinely used in you home, or maybe just that you saw advertising for? Do you miss them? Were there any you honestly believe have never been adequately replaced?

I can think of a lot of things! The trouble is, they are still out there but have been changed, and are still bearing familiar labels. Some beauty products like Oil of Olay now have branched off into different products still with the same name. Some products have definitely gotten cheaper and/or poorly produced.

One thing that comes to mind is Healthtex clothing. This was widely advertised when I was a kid, and I could still find things for my child if I shopped in second hand shops. These clothes were purported to last for the lifetime of the child, and were reputed to be made from healthy fibers, thus the name Healthtex. The crap they are selling for children now leaves me speechless.

My Mom (and the therefore we) used "Vel Beauty Bar" soap from far back as I can remember, early 1960s, up until her death in 1991. It was one of the cheapest bar soaps you could buy, and lathered up nicely with the hard well water we had in our old farm house.

Apparently it was discontinued several years after her death. When my Dad died four years ago, we found an unopened bar back behind some old wash clothes in their bathroom pantry. It smelled exactly Iike I remembered.

1642554830820.png

I loved the chocolate flavor.

Yardley lipstick is the other thing that comes to mind. They used to make quite a few cosmetic products but no longer do. I was a "Yardley Girl" fan...lol Down to the white lipstick in the hippie days.

I grew up watching TV commercials for all the toy manufacturers of the day....Marx, Ideal, Topper, Remco., etc. They were standard fare during Saturday morning cartoons, and started to slip into prime time around mid November.

With the exception of Mattel, they are all gone.

There are quite a few paint products, putty, and wood finishes I miss.
Won't bore you with the details.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paulm and Debi
I grew up watching TV commercials for all the toy manufacturers of the day....Marx, Ideal, Topper, Remco., etc. They were standard fare during Saturday morning cartoons, and started to slip into prime time around mid November.

With the exception of Mattel, they are all gone.
That first plane? My brothers had that.

Gillespie's Wood Restorer. Imagine a super strength Old English polish. It had a lot of wax in it and could really cover scratches well.
Benjamin Moore Impervo - alkyd satin. We would brush that on and it would lay down and look like it was sprayed.
Aqualock primer. It was the perfect pH for painting brick and mortar and stick like crazy. It was also great for painting shingled mansard roofs.
Fuller O'Brien paints went kaput. They had a great product line.

Reactions: ozentity