"Disco Ball" satellite launched

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
'Disco ball' launched into space, glistens in orbit

1516982062067.jpg

A satellite bearing a striking resemblance to a disco ball was recently launched into space, giving sky watchers a chance to watch the glistening object as it orbits the Earth.

The “Humanity Star” is the brainchild of Peter Beck, founder and CEO of California-based Rocket Lab. The satellite, which was launched from New Zealand on Jan. 21 aboard the company’s Electron rocket, aims to remind people of the vastness of space.

“No matter where you are in the world, rich or in poverty, in conflict or at peace, everyone will be able to see the bright, blinking Humanity Star orbiting Earth in the night sky,” explained the New Zealand-born Beck, in a statement. “My hope is that everyone looking up at the Humanity Star will look past it to the expanse of the universe, feel a connection to our place in it and think a little differently about their lives, actions and what is important.”

The satellite, which is built from carbon-fibre, is covered with 65 reflective panels. “It spins rapidly, reflecting the sun’s rays back to Earth, creating a flashing light that can be seen against a backdrop of stars,” according to the Humanity Star website.

More at site

NOT DISCO.......disco sucks, it was the death of rock and roll......
well at least it will be highly visible when it comes crashing back to earth in 9 months......

Reactions: Charleh and Lynne
NOT DISCO.......disco sucks, it was the death of rock and roll......
well at least it will be highly visible when it comes crashing back to earth in 9 months......
Ha ha I just thought it was appropriate for a silver ball. I however I liked disco and rock and roll lives on. I think rap has done more damage in replacing the rebel sound of youth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paulm and 7Critter