Did you...

Erm...British person here - what's air conditioning?? Haha! I have to sit in front of a fan with a bag of frozen broccoli on my head if I get too hot in the summer!

Or...a more recent discovery (born of desperation during a particularly hot summer) -- a wet towel over the legs at night! Does wonders to cool you down but you do wake up with a wet mattress in the morning so... ;th

Erm...British person here - what's air conditioning?? Haha! I have to sit in front of a fan with a bag of frozen broccoli on my head if I get too hot in the summer!
That would be the most enjoyment I ever got out of broccoli! :)
And indeed! We are an AC free nation. Of course, until recently summer was never hot enough to warrant it, but the new genuine heatwaves have been an ordeal.
No air conditioning in a heatwave tips:
Keep the windows shut and curtains closed all day, then open them at night as soon as it's less hot outside. I feel sorry for people with the windows open when it's 40C outside.
Put a container of ice behind the fan. The ice chills the air as it's drawn through the fan, making it much much better. I have trays of ice on the go constantly.
Keep cold water in the bathtub and take a plunge to cool down whenever it's too much.

That would be the most enjoyment I ever got out of broccoli! :)
And indeed! We are an AC free nation. Of course, until recently summer was never hot enough to warrant it, but the new genuine heatwaves have been an ordeal.
No air conditioning in a heatwave tips:
Keep the windows shut and curtains closed all day, then open them at night as soon as it's less hot outside. I feel sorry for people with the windows open when it's 40C outside.
Put a container of ice behind the fan. The ice chills the air as it's drawn through the fan, making it much much better. I have trays of ice on the go constantly.
Keep cold water in the bathtub and take a plunge to cool down whenever it's too much.
Come on Ben, who you trying to kid? There is no ice in the UK. :)

I worked with a number of Brits my age who told me they had no heating in their homes growing up other than fire places.

Come on Ben, who you trying to kid? There is no ice in the UK. :)

I worked with a number of Brits my age who told me they had no heating in their homes growing up other than fire places.
I grew up in a house with no heating other than one fireplace in the sitting room. Dad bought a tiny thing that blew out hot air for when I got changed into my pyjamas at night! Other than that we just wore lots of "extra layers" in the winter :D

Keep cold water in the bathtub and take a plunge to cool down whenever it's too much
I can relate to keeping the house locked in Summer, still hot but a lot cooler than outside. This is how I was cooling off last couple of Summers, water pumped from a spring fed dam. I think the neighboring farmers hated me as I was the only one with water in the area. $200 pool with pump and marquee included, lol. My daughter laughed at it but soon got in on a visit.

Attachments

• IMG_1020.JPG
    IMG_1020.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 98
No ice??? Good grief...that's like a whole business here in the US! Ice at every gas station and store!
Yeah, Duke's right, there's no ice here... unless you make it yourself! I used to date a guy from the US and the amount of ice he needed to put in his drinks used to blow my mind :D

Reactions: Benway
Yeah, Duke's right, there's no ice here... unless you make it yourself! I used to date a guy from the US and the amount of ice he needed to put in his drinks used to blow my mind :D
One cannot drink without ice! lol Another culture difference that takes me by surprise.

Reactions: RoseRed
One cannot drink without ice! lol Another culture difference that takes me by surprise.
If you go out for dinner to a restaurant or pub or something, they'll put ice in your cold drinks for you (unless you say otherwise), but it's not really a "thing" here, like it is in the States.

We don't typically have stores of it in large bags in our freezers or anything, or buy it at the supermarkets or petrol stations (although I think I have seen it for sale once or twice, so maybe it's catching on over here...?). So, it's not that you can't get it at all, it's just that it's not a big deal here.

Reactions: Debi and Benway