Did you ever....

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
AS A KID, I WAS "SELF EMPLOYED" MUCH OF THE TIME. I BABYSAT, MOWED LAWNS AND DID ODD JOBS TO MAKE A BIT OF MONEY.

DID YOU EVER DO THIS AS A KID? I REMEMBER I MADE 50 CENTS AN HOUR BABYSITTING, AND A WHOPPING $2 FOR MOWING A YARD. DISCOUNT IF IT WAS A SMALL ONE. LOL WHAT KIND OF "WORK" DID YOU DO AS A KID AND WHAT DID YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY ON?

95703832_3802719399770669_7078299123933249536_n.jpg

Reactions: Lynne
I used to breed birds,chickens and ducks and used the money to feed,build cages and buy more birds.

Reactions: Lynne and Charleh
I mowed my neighbors yard for a few years then when I was 12 I started working on a melon farm.

I think I can remember only a few years that I mowed the lawns for £5 pocket money. Not long after I was an apprentice for 3 years then earning a wage.

When I was a kid I got an allowance of 50 cents a week. When I was about 9 I talked to my Dad about a raise. He told me that he would think about it. a few days later he came back to me and asked how a $1.50 a week sounded. I thought that was GREAT. Paper money was BIG money to me back then. He then explained that he had lined me up a job. I mowed our yard every other week and then mowed the neighbor's yard every other week. I raked the yards during the winter and they each paid me $1.50 every other week. I bought a bicycle and I never asked for a raise again.

When I was 15 I got a job and worked in a warehouse every day before school? Later I worked in a rice dryer from 8 pm to 8 am 7 days a week and bought my first car, a 56 Chevy Bellaire fixed it up mechanically then got it painted candy apple red. I then did the interior with crushed leather and Red and black shag carpet. When school started they let me work from 8 pm to 6 am.

When I was a kid I got an allowance of 50 cents a week. When I was about 9 I talked to my Dad about a raise. He told me that he would think about it. a few days later he came back to me and asked how a $1.50 a week sounded. I thought that was GREAT. Paper money was BIG money to me back then. He then explained that he had lined me up a job. I mowed our yard every other week and then mowed the neighbor's yard every other week. I raked the yards during the winter and they each paid me $1.50 every other week. I bought a bicycle and I never asked for a raise again.

When I was 15 I got a job and worked in a warehouse every day before school? Later I worked in a rice dryer from 8 pm to 8 am 7 days a week and bought my first car, a 56 Chevy Bellaire fixed it up mechanically then got it painted candy apple red. I then did the interior with crushed leather and Red and black shag carpet. When school started they let me work from 8 pm to 6 am.
Dan when did you sleep!!

I did the usual babysitting. I cleaned house for a small allowance.

I mowed the lawn for neighbors, some tutoring and delivered newspapers.

Dan when did you sleep!!
I am the sort of person that can go for long stretches without sleeping and then sleep for 12 hours to catch up. In between naps can do the job. I went for a long time with two two hour naps a day, one in the morning and one in the evening. Even now I often go 48 to 60 hours without sleeping for more than an hour or so. I don't seem to have normal responses to several things. I don't always sleep much and I can fast for up to 14 days without ever being hungry.

I have always suspected that I turned to this to balance my brain chemistry. I fought depression for a long time before they developed medications that fixed the problem of a chemical imbalance. Lack of sleep or severe nutritional deprivation makes changes in your chemistry. So will pain which is why so many young people will become cutters and "decorate" their arms with scars from self-inflicted cuts. Pain response is an endorphin release. If you do this too much it is addictive...Adrenalin junkies come in all sorts. I did some cutting. I;m not sure if it was the relief that the endorphins offered me or if it was the fact that it drove my Mother crazy which most attracted me to it.

I am one of the lucky ones. I truly walked through the valley of death and survived. I mourn for every brother and sister that loses their battle and goes into the arms of suicide. That is a real pandemic that is ignored mostly.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi