Did Werewolves Really Exist?

This reminds me of a story my uncle tells about when he was camping with a mate.He is a very tough old guy and serious at all times.They were camping at a remote camping area at Barrington tops in NSW,the two had a few drinks and retired to their swags for the night(a full moon).Unc was woken a short time later to a blood curdling howl close by and jumped from his swag armed for action.His mate was next to the fire on all fours howling to the moon,in a trance.He tried to snap him out of it but he threw unc to the ground,ripped out a picnic table cemented in the ground and bounded into the bush on all fours howling as he went.Unc eventually went back to his bed and woke in the morning with his mate curled asleep by the fire.When he woke he had no recollection of anything he had done.My uncle is a big tough biker and this memory still haunts him 40 years later.

Last edited:
This reminds me of a story my uncle tells about when he was camping with a mate.He is a very tough old guy and serious at all times.They were camping at a remote camping area at Barrington tops in NSW,the two had a few drinks and retired to their swags for the night(a full moon).Unc was woken a short time later to a blood curdling howl close by and jumped from his swag armed for action.His mate was next to the fire on all fours howling to the moon,in a trance.He tried to snap him out of it but he threw unc to the ground,ripped out a picnic table cemented in the ground and bounded into the bush on all fours howling as he went.Unc eventually went back to his bed and woke in the morning with his mate curled asleep by the fire.When he woke he had no recollection of anything he had done.My uncle is a big tough biker and this memory still haunts him 40 years later.
Wow !! That’s quite an event.

Reactions: ozentity

The first thing crossed my mind when I read this, sir, is that a possibility of your uncle's friend at the time-I'm sorry to say this, could have been possessed for an unknown reason. I will explain it;

It might sound strange to you-about this possession thing for us Indonesians, but, actually there is a particular habit in my culture, so to say, to summon a spiritual being, to possess a person, for entertainment purpose. The performance would usually took place at night-around midnight time. Of course it can also be done during the day as well, but it'd feel different-the aura of the performance, compared to the one that took place during the night time..

Normally, those who did this kind of performance are high school kids around 16-19 years old of age, and they'd usually did it on some special occassion like in the boy/girl scout bonfire night.

I was invited to such occassion myself 26 years ago-when I was in the second grade of high school, by my school's boy/girl scout group, although I wasn't one of their members. It was a boy/girl scout night welcoming ceremony for their new members, held at school. .

By the end of this ceremony, of which lasted to almost midnight, a bonfire was lit, while the electricity in entire of the school building was turned off. And then there was this performance by two of the most experienced boy scout seniors, of summoning a spiritual entity to possess one of them while the other one acted as the watcher, whose task was to watch the possessed one carefully and decided when to call the pefomance off by immediately and properly asking the entity to leave the possessed body should everything started to go overboard.

First, the summoner was standing still next to the bonfire, facing a certain direction; it was toward a nearby mountain called Tangkuban Perahu at the time, and he started to chant jangjawokan*. A moment later, he fell to his knees, and then started to crawling around on the ground, slowly growling and looked at all directions as if he studied each and everyone of us, the audience, carefully and curiously. He acted and moved precisely like a cautious and suspicious tiger.

It didn't really surprise me if the summoner was summoned a spirit of a tiger, so to say, which is something common for us Sundanese as a tiger spirit is believed to be closely related with the mysteriously vanished Sundanese Kingdom of Pajajaran in a way, hence tiger spirits are also believed to be the protectors of Sundanese of West Java. And in the areas surrounding Bandung City, Tangkuban Parahu mountain is believed to be one of their teritorries.

Then the summoner who was already possessed by the tiger spirit asked slowly in growling tone as to why we invited it to come in the first place. The watcher carefully apologized for having disturbed the tiger spirit in the first place and explained the purpose of the summoning. The possessed summoner restlessly listened to the explanation and then he slowly and cautiously growled and nodded a permission. But, he asked for an offering in return; a simple one, since we were but a bunch of high schoolers; a glass of hot black coffee, and a clove cigarette. For the performance itself, he asked for a green coconut, some razor blades, and also some long neon lightbulbs.

Since we've prepared the materials beforehand, it didn't take long to provide the possessed summoner with everything he asked for. Then the show began.
First, he lit the clove cigarette and finished the black coffee with one big gulp although we made the coffee with the freshly boiled water. Then he chewed the glass up before also chewing up the lighted cigarette.
Next, he completely tore off the husk of the green coconut with his teeth, and broke the hard shell by smashing it against his head, before he drank the coconut water and chewed up the inside of the coconut. Then he also chewed up the razor blade and long neon lightbulbs to pieces.

After that, he grabbed a burning piece of wood from the bonfire and tried to also chewing it up, but the watcher acted quickly, slapping the burning piece off his hand and then hurriedly backed off when the possessed summoner threateningly turned his face on him and growled, as if he was annoyed by the action.

Failed on chewing up the burning piece of wood, he crawled slowly toward the metal flag pole not far from the bonfire, and smashing his head so hard on to the metal pole several of times; if you were there you could hear the frightening sound of his skull hitting the pole very clearly in the cold silence of the midnight. That was when the watcher quickly decided things have started to go overboard, and decided to stop the show by grabbing the head of the possessed summoner and chanting a reversal jangjawokan that released the spirit of the tiger off from the body of the summoner at once.

The watcher then helped the collapsed and exhausted summoner to sit on the ground, while the summoner, heavily breathing, spitted out the remaining pieces of glass and blade in his uninjured mouth and rubbed his own head in confusion.He asked the watcher as to what happened to his head since he felt like he was just hit in the head by a sledgehammer or something.

So I wonder if it was something like this, that happened to your uncle's friend back then?
Well, it's just but a possibility...

* Jangjawokan is somekind of ancient Sundanese spell or 'mantra' as we called it in Indonesian.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benway and Paintman
It might sound strange to you-about this possession thing for us Indonesians, but, actually there is a particular habit in my culture, so to say, to summon a spiritual being, to possess a person, for entertainment purpose.
I don't think my uncle was into anything that would summons an evil entity but can't be certain about his friend,I'm leaning towards something in the area they were camping as my first thought but nothing is out of the question.You have some interesting customs.

The first thing crossed my mind when I read this, sir, is that a possibility of your uncle's friend at the time-I'm sorry to say this, could have been possessed for an unknown reason. I will explain it;

It might sound strange to you-about this possession thing for us Indonesians, but, actually there is a particular habit in my culture, so to say, to summon a spiritual being, to possess a person, for entertainment purpose. The performance would usually took place at night-around midnight time. Of course it can also be done during the day as well, but it'd feel different-the aura of the performance, compared to the one that took place during the night time..

Normally, those who did this kind of performance are high school kids around 16-19 years old of age, and they'd usually did it on some special occassion like in the boy/girl scout bonfire night.

I was invited to such occassion myself 26 years ago-when I was in the second grade of high school, by my school's boy/girl scout group, although I wasn't one of their members. It was a boy/girl scout night welcoming ceremony for their new members, held at school. .

By the end of this ceremony, of which lasted to almost midnight, a bonfire was lit, while the electricity in entire of the school building was turned off. And then there was this performance by two of the most experienced boy scout seniors, of summoning a spiritual entity to possess one of them while the other one acted as the watcher, whose task was to watch the possessed one carefully and decided when to call the pefomance off by immediately and properly asking the entity to leave the possessed body should everything started to go overboard.

First, the summoner was standing still next to the bonfire, facing a certain direction; it was toward a nearby mountain called Tangkuban Perahu at the time, and he started to chant jangjawokan*. A moment later, he fell to his knees, and then started to crawling around on the ground, slowly growling and looked at all directions as if he studied each and everyone of us, the audience, carefully and curiously. He acted and moved precisely like a cautious and suspicious tiger.

It didn't really surprise me if the summoner was summoned a spirit of a tiger, so to say, which is something common for us Sundanese as a tiger spirit is believed to be closely related with the mysteriously vanished Sundanese Kingdom of Pajajaran in a way, hence tiger spirits are also believed to be the protectors of Sundanese of West Java. And in the areas surrounding Bandung City, Tangkuban Parahu mountain is believed to be one of their teritorries.

Then the summoner who was already possessed by the tiger spirit asked slowly in growling tone as to why we invited it to come in the first place. The watcher carefully apologized for having disturbed the tiger spirit in the first place and explained the purpose of the summoning. The possessed summoner restlessly listened to the explanation and then he slowly and cautiously growled and nodded a permission. But, he asked for an offering in return; a simple one, since we were but a bunch of high schoolers; a glass of hot black coffee, and a clove cigarette. For the performance itself, he asked for a green coconut, some razor blades, and also some long neon lightbulbs.

Since we've prepared the materials beforehand, it didn't take long to provide the possessed summoner with everything he asked for. Then the show began.
First, he lit the clove cigarette and finished the black coffee with one big gulp although we made the coffee with the freshly boiled water. Then he chewed the glass up before also chewing up the lighted cigarette.
Next, he completely tore off the husk of the green coconut with his teeth, and broke the hard shell by smashing it against his head, before he drank the coconut water and chewed up the inside of the coconut. Then he also chewed up the razor blade and long neon lightbulbs to pieces.

After that, he grabbed a burning piece of wood from the bonfire and tried to also chewing it up, but the watcher acted quickly, slapping the burning piece off his hand and then hurriedly backed off when the possessed summoner threateningly turned his face on him and growled, as if he was annoyed by the action.

Failed on chewing up the burning piece of wood, he crawled slowly toward the metal flag pole not far from the bonfire, and smashing his head so hard on to the metal pole several of times; if you were there you could hear the frightening sound of his skull hitting the pole very clearly in the cold silence of the midnight. That was when the watcher quickly decided things have started to go overboard, and decided to stop the show by grabbing the head of the possessed summoner and chanting a reversal jangjawokan that released the spirit of the tiger off from the body of the summoner at once.

The watcher then helped the collapsed and exhausted summoner to sit on the ground, while the summoner, heavily breathing, spitted out the remaining pieces of glass and blade in his uninjured mouth and rubbed his own head in confusion.He asked the watcher as to what happened to his head since he felt like he was just hit in the head by a sledgehammer or something.

So I wonder if it was something like this, that happened to your uncle's friend back then?
Well, it's just but a possibility...

* Jangjawokan is somekind of ancient Sundanese spell or 'mantra' as we called it in Indonesian.
I believe this is were we hit the culture clash, MaCan. This would not be something done in the Western world, and if it was, it would be considered part of the dark arts.

I believe this is were we hit the culture clash, MaCan. This would not be something done in the Western world, and if it was, it would be considered part of the dark arts.

I don't think my uncle was into anything that would summons an evil entity but can't be certain about his friend,I'm leaning towards something in the area they were camping as my first thought but nothing is out of the question.You have some interesting customs.

Yes of course ma'am, I do understand what you mean about cultural clash :)

By my story, of course I didn't mean to say Mr.Oz's uncle and his friend might have done something similar. I was just comparing the behavior and the strength of the summoned entity in my story with the behavior and strength Mr.Oz told in his story of his uncle's friend. But maybe I was a bit too carried away with my own story so it rather blurred the point that people would easily mistaken it, my apologized.

As we can see, there're indeed undeniable similarities in what I've witnessed myself with that implied in Mr.Oz's story, concerning behaviors (give or take it, between tiger and wolf) and (perhaps) the level of strength displayed by two different persons.
And, for both cases, we also have two persons who didn't remember at all what had happened to them on a certain span of time; the time when they were possessed-of course, by assuming if what happened to Mr.Oz's uncle's friend was also a possession case.

I'd also like to say that, this kind of possession however, does not always have to be triggered by a person who summons a spiritual entity in the first place as it can also happen without a person literally and/or deliberately summons anything.

As for the trigger for the possession cases without the involvement of a summoner itself, it can be many things. I'm afraid I won't be able to point out a single exact reason that might've been the trigger for Mr.Oz's uncle's friend's possession case.

In Indonesia, we have something like a set of rules of proper conduct/ettiquete, that must be strictly followed to the letter in some certain public spaces, especially at camping sites nearby to or in the area of jungle, hill or mountain. These rules are even written on a board and placed almost everywhere in such sites.

Those included in these rules are commonly as follows; if you have to urinate or something like that, you can't do it especially on certain spots like under that tree or behind this bushes, etc. During the night time, don't yell. During the night time, don't talk too loud. During the night time, no guitar/singing (sounds silly, I know). Don't swear on this camp site. Sexual activities are forbidden. Alcohol is not allowed here. Etc.

That'd be up to the things that sounded even more silly, like; do not sleep on certain spots, do not whistle, do not say a certain word, do not act or speak like you're a brave person and that you're not afraid of supernatural entities (acting 'sompral' in Sundanese, or 'arrogant' in English), do not try to challenge supernatural entities to show themselves up or to fight, etc.

Maybe you're now asking as to how come there're so many silly rules to follow in a camping site alone?
Because 'they' are exist everywhere, including in these places. Imagine what kind of supernatural entity that lurks behind the veil in such areas so far away from people? Maybe you don't even want to know, as most likely, they don't like human, and by judging from a fact that they chose to stay at remote places, it won't be far from truth.
Thus, the rules of maintaining ettiquete are there in these camp sites far away from people, mainly for a sole reason; security for the campers, as the result of (normally) an agreement between the owner of these camping sites with the 'original inhabitants' of the area, so to say.

No camp sites will be established in a remote jungle/watery area unless there's such an agreement made beforehand around here, because it'd be the only way available to ensure campers' safety for as long as they stay in those areas (for a price of course, and for the campers' themselves, the price would be to follow the rules), and 'they' on the other side would agree to tolerate the presence of people in their teritorry to some extent.

And here's where everything gets interesting; broke the rules there, and most likely you'll get yourself possessed-it's somekind of common warning for light transgressions upon the agreement, around here and in this case, btw. And near the jungle area, the behavior shown by the possessed persons would usually indicate those of animals' like monkey, snake, or tiger (I didn't mention wolf btw, since unlike in many European countries and US, we don't seem to have wolves in Indonesia except for those in the zoos).
Also, this type of possession case happened around here-like a lot.

For more serious cases, 'they' are often took the persons they possessed away from the camp sites and just 'dumped' them somewhere deep in the jungle. It happened quite a lot in a particular mountain national nature preservation and camping park area of Gunung Gede, West Java, that campers just 'got lost' deep in the mountain jungle for days without remembering what happened, before the rescue team finally managed to find them-if they're lucky, that is.

Thus, it led me to believe that one possibility that took place in Mr.Oz's story is that of this type of possession, and I also agree it had something to do with the camping site itself. But also in the case of Mr.Oz's uncle's friend, I'd say the friend was lucky that the spirit seemed to still have a good will of returning him to the camping site.

Last edited: