Did this card game just predict World War 3?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
How board game that 'predicted 9/11 terror strike' warns of IMMINENT NUCLEAR World War III

WW-III-494479.jpg

Excerpt:

But it is what the conspiracy theorists claim the game says is coming next which makes it even more worrying.
Some claim that Mr Jackson somehow obtained a copy of the Illuminate's master plan and used the roleplaying industry to leak it to the world.

This theory is further fuelled by the fact the US secret service DID raid his business address before the game was released.

The cutting edge report added: "He got a surprise visit from the Secret Service, who tried their best to shut him down and prevent him from publishing his game."

According to Mr Jackson's website, a large amount of equipment was seized, including four computers, two laser printers, hard disks and hardware.

The investigation was into suspected "fraud" in connection with alleged hacking.
But a judge threw out the case and awarded Steve Jackson Games $50,000 plus $250,000 costs.
So what is predicted next?

If you believe all this stuff, then worryingly it is World War III.

The "World War III" card gives players the chance to unleash another global conflict to usher in a New World Order, which is also featured on it.

Full creepy story at site.....be sure to read the history of this game and it's accuracy for predictions.

What do you think?

The article refers to Illuminati: New World Order, a collectable card game from the 1990's published by Steve Jackson Games. INWO is based upon the bookcase version of the game (Illuminati, and its various expansions), which has been in print since the early 1980's. As one might expect, the game is based upon the Illuminatus! Trilogy, which has as some of its plot points World War III, Something trapped inside of the Pentagon, terrorism, the zeitgeist in which it was written...

Steve Jackson Games reportedly gets asked this a lot - the artist of the first card (Smif, I belief) based it upon the World Trade Center Bombings in 1993. The second card is a reference to the Something trapped inside the Pentagon in the Trilogy (in the third book (Leviathan), if memory serves). Princess Diana was included in the game in the Personality category, alongside Bill and Hillary Clinton, Dan Quayle, a certain stuffed dinosaur/children's television personality, George H.W. Bush, Jimma Hoffa... I could go on and on.

As for Steve Jackson Games being raided by the US Secret Service, this really did happen on 1 March 1990 (but the actual trial did not take place until 1993) but not over INWO. The case in question is Steve Jackson Games, Inc. vs. United States Secret Service (816 F.Supp. 432 (1993)). The reasons for the raid were somewhat convoluted...

SJG has published a line of RPG materials called GURPS (Generic Universal Role Playing System) for several decades. Core rules aside, one can purchase worldbooks that add rules, backgrounds, character options, and inventory for whatever genre you want to run (such as high fantasy, horror, super heroes, or what have you). At the time one of their stringers was developing GURPS Cyberpunk, a splatbook for running cyberpunk science fiction-style adventures. The stringer in question was Loyd Blankenship, who had been active in the hacker community as The Mentor (who was also a member of a notorious group called the Legion of Doom) once upon a time. As part of his research SJG ran a message sub on their bulletin board system (the Illuminati BBS), where users of the BBS (some of them hackers) discussed the upcoming splatbook and some of the details that would make it stand out from the other cyberpunk RPGs of the time (the early 1990's were something of a golden age for cyberpunk RPGs). To summarize, the Secret Service was unable to tell the difference between a role-playing game where pink mohawks, bionic implants, sociopathic megacorporations, and android hit-bots were part of the story and real life computer hacking.

If you want to read the full history of the case, the EFF has it online because it lead directly to their creation.

So... no. This article is complete jetwash.

(Full disclosure: I am a lifetime EFF member.)

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
Thanks for the complete rundown, Doc!
This is do confusing to an Internet novice like me. I hope I understand this to be crap and not true.

Reactions: Debi
One possibility is that it's just a silly game based on some random person's guesses about politics. But then why would he have gotten his office raided like that?
Is there much information about the game creator, Steve Jackson, and how he got the information?

This is about the most that I found for people talking about it, and they don't really have any special information either:
the 90's Illuminati Card game.,.

One possibility is that it's just a silly game based on some random person's guesses about politics. But then why would he have gotten his office raided like that?
Is there much information about the game creator, Steve Jackson, and how he got the information?

This is about the most that I found for people talking about it, and they don't really have any special information either:
the 90's Illuminati Card game.,.
I could find nothing else in my initial search, Rak. I usually do some research for backstories on the content here, and I could find none at that time.

Reactions: Lynne