Dibs

Paintman

Go Go White Sox
Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
Dibs is a time-honored Chicago tradition dating back to the Blizzard of 1967 (I was born in it !).
In a nutshell, you can't park in a spot that you didn't shovel out. The dibs part is when you mark your parking spot with some old lawn furniture or generally large junk that you can find in your garage. Card tables, play houses, ..... I've seen it all.

It's sort of like putting a coat on the seat at the movie theater. It's saved.

Reactions: Lynne and Benway
Dibs is a time-honored Chicago tradition dating back to the Blizzard of 1967 (I was born in it !).
In a nutshell, you can't park in a spot that you didn't shovel out. The dibs part is when you mark your parking spot with some old lawn furniture or generally large junk that you can find in your garage. Card tables, play houses, ..... I've seen it all.

It's sort of like putting a coat on the seat at the movie theater. It's saved.
This is soooo Chicago...lol

I wish that y'all would take back your freaking ice and snow. People down here don't have a clue about driving in or on that stuff!!! For me it is easy, I just stay at home but lots of people are expected to go to work no matter what the conditions. That Fort Worth pileup was 135+ cars and trucks and so far has killed 6 with about 7 taken to the hospital.

LOL, we had a little snow a few weeks ago of less than 2 inches and they closed the schools. LOL, We have no fear of hurricanes and deal with tornados but cold in single digits and ice just lays us out.

I can't imagine having to dig out a place to park. I think that I like mud. I can handle mud. I used to live 7 miles down a dirt road and had no problem. THEN we had an ice storm and were trapped in the valley for nearly a week. The only vehicle that could get out of the valley easily was a tractor and one small 4X4 that could drive in the ditch without sinking. The big 4X4s sank in and got stuck.

Monday is supposed to be in the single digits and people here are stocking up like it is a blizzard. We are getting ready for it by putting up a lot of water and tomorrow wrapping the pipes and putting a heater under the house.

I wish that y'all would take back your freaking ice and snow. People down here don't have a clue about driving in or on that stuff!!! For me it is easy, I just stay at home but lots of people are expected to go to work no matter what the conditions. That Fort Worth pileup was 135+ cars and trucks and so far has killed 6 with about 7 taken to the hospital.

LOL, we had a little snow a few weeks ago of less than 2 inches and they closed the schools. LOL, We have no fear of hurricanes and deal with tornados but cold in single digits and ice just lays us out.

I can't imagine having to dig out a place to park. I think that I like mud. I can handle mud. I used to live 7 miles down a dirt road and had no problem. THEN we had an ice storm and were trapped in the valley for nearly a week. The only vehicle that could get out of the valley easily was a tractor and one small 4X4 that could drive in the ditch without sinking. The big 4X4s sank in and got stuck.

Monday is supposed to be in the single digits and people here are stocking up like it is a blizzard. We are getting ready for it by putting up a lot of water and tomorrow wrapping the pipes and putting a heater under the house.
Would you like a foot of snow to go with that as a side? I can share that with you Monday.

Heat lamp in the well house, let some water drip through pipes. It's gonna be bad all over, I fear.

A foot of snow down here would be apocalyptic!!! Can you walk around in sandals or tennis shoes in a foot of snow?... That is about all I have except cowboy boots and they are cold and slippery. Freezing cold here during the day is 45 most of the time. We have not had a hard freeze this year but they are predicting the teens and twenties for several days. I am soooooo glad that I am retired. The last time we had this sort of cold I spent the next two weeks wet under houses repairing pipes.

Reactions: Paintman
Can you walk around in sandals or tennis shoes in a foot of snow?
Yup! Tennis shoes! That's the only thing I wear in snow. They have rubber soles and grip pretty well! Granted, feet get wet but that's why I carry extra shoes and socks with me. I am the true Midwesterner who boldly goes forth oddly attired.

LOL, we get snow so seldom that it is a big event. My Dad would chase me out of the house and we would run around in the yard barefoot. Iver a good heavy frost was enough to require a runaround. When it snowed a few weeks ago I went out with my girls and ran around in the snow barefoot.

I almost never wore shoes when I was a kid. This was pre tennis or basketball shoes. I have BIG feet and breaking in new leather shoes was torture. It was a long time before they started making tennis shoes for EEE width feet. I only wore shoes to school, church, shopping, and in the worst few weeks of winter.

This week is one of the first and only times in my memory that we have sleet and snow forecast for several days. I am doing my dialysis at home now. We started that last week and I am really glad. People here don't have even the slightest idea about how to drive on is as that mess in Fort Worth showed. We are going to the store tomorrow and then hunker down for the week.

I wish we had a well!!!! We are stuck with a community water system and don't have any water. They don't want to fix it because it is too cold and dangerous for them to send out crews!!! The power is still on and off. Right now it is on but the other night it went off at 3 am and didn't come back on until noon the next day. It is nothing that you can count on. I can't do my dialysis when the power is off and my chest filled up with fluid. That makes it HARD to breathe. I managed a run yesterday and hope to do another tomorrow.

UPDATE...The water just came on!!! I have now bathed and feel human again. My wife is going now since there is no promise that it will stay on for more than an hour or two. I think that I missed bathing more than I have eating but nonetheless as soon as she is out of the shower she is cooking breakfast. No water for the better part of three days means we ran out of water for flushing the toilets. When you have been carved up as I have you just don't eat if you don't have a functioning toilet!

Last edited:
I wish we had a well!!!! We are stuck with a community water system and don't have any water. They don't want to fix it because it is too cold and dangerous for them to send out crews!!! The power is still on and off. Right now it is on but the other night it went off at 3 am and didn't come back on until noon the next day. It is nothing that you can count on. I can't do my dialysis when the power is off and my chest filled up with fluid. That makes it HARD to breathe. I managed a run yesterday and hope to do another tomorrow.

UPDATE...The water just came on!!! I have now bathed and feel human again. My wife is going now since there is no promise that it will stay on for more than an hour or two. I think that I missed bathing more than I have eating but nonetheless as soon as she is out of the shower she is cooking breakfast. No water for the better part of three days means we ran out of water for flushing the toilets. When you have been carved up as I have you just don't eat if you don't have a functioning toilet!
Awe so sorry you’re going through this. It seems there should be some emergency way for you to get your dialysis. That’s horrible.

LOL, the clinic was even shut down. The doors which are automatic openers were frozen shut and nobody could get in. Finally late that afternoon they got someone there to thaw it and get it open. That REALLY put them behind. they run three shifts 5 hours each and that pretty well put them 2 shifts behind. This has been quite an experience. One that nobody was really prepared for. We never have snow that accumulates more often than once every decade or two and that is nearly always a one-day and then gone type of thing...It snowed a little more today. My daughter works for the State of Texas and hasn't been to work since last Friday. They have closed up.

I at least have not been as cold as most. I have propane heaters that I use in my shops and for camping things so we just camped out in the master bedroom. The come and go water has been a bigger problem. For going on five days the water has been a come and go thing, usually go. The other night when it came on I RAN to take a shower. Good thing it was on for about 2.5 to 3 hours and then off again. That is sort of to be expected I guess when you live in a tiny town. Miles and miles of pipes and only a few men to try and keep up with the leaks. The town is actually a few stores on the highway and then the people live in the woods all around it. Neighborhoods here have lots that are 2 to 10 acres then maybe a place with a couple hundred that is running cattle and horses. We have a fire department but most people wouldn't even recognize it as a town.

We are sort of preppers. We have at least 6 months worth of food and both propane and wood-burning stove so food and heat were not going to be a big problem. I learned a few things. I am going to get a bigger heater and probably move my hundred-pound tank to the house from the shop. One of my 3 shops is heated by my parent's old Dearborn heater.

We got a treatment done today and will do another one tomorrow then take the weekend off. Because our water is so messed up we have gone through our emergency bags of premade solution. We are going to get some from the clinic until we can get a shipment to our home.

Even my Granddaughter Danni is tired of this. The snow is turning into slime that is ankle-deep now. The good news....sort of...is that tomorrow it is supposed to get up to 35 or so and rain. Maybe that will melt the muck.