Destructive ‘Super Pigs’ From Canada Threaten the Northern U.S.

Wow, I just looked that gun up and it shoots accurate at 300 yards, you could hit it twice before it got to you. How big of a gun do you need? That one looked pretty impressive on line.
300 yards? I'd be fortunate to even see a boar at that range, let alone hit it using iron sights (no scope)!

The M-1 carbine was definitely a lightweight, both in terms of weight and firepower, compared to most military rifles of its vintage. It was designed to be issued to support troops as a self-defense weapon to replace pistols. It's very accurate, and has very little recoil. I used to hit bright orange clay targets (like those used in skeet/trap) set up against a small hill on a 100 yard range without any trouble. Only thing I ever killed with it was groundhog with distemper that was scaring my Mom.

It's a fun gun to shoot, and back in the day ammo was both cheap and plentiful. Mine was a commercial model, not military issue/surplus. I think I paid around $100 for it out of the Sears catalog in the 1974. I sold it back about 15 years at a gun show for $350 because I wasn't shooting it anymore.

300 yards? I'd be fortunate to even see a boar at that range, let alone hit it using iron sights (no scope)!

The M-1 carbine was definitely a lightweight, both in terms of weight and firepower, compared to most military rifles of its vintage. It was designed to be issued to support troops as a self-defense weapon to replace pistols. It's very accurate, and has very little recoil. I used to hit bright orange clay targets (like those used in skeet/trap) set up against a small hill on a 100 yard range without any trouble. Only thing I ever killed with it was groundhog with distemper that was scaring my Mom.

It's a fun gun to shoot, and back in the day ammo was both cheap and plentiful. Mine was a commercial model, not military issue/surplus. I think I paid around $100 for it out of the Sears catalog in the 1974. I sold it back about 15 years at a gun show for $350 because I wasn't shooting it anymore.
I have to admit that learning about this gun stuff is interesting. I am reading a book that talked about the old Colt revolvers, it is really fascinating how guns work and have evolved. Did you ever get a report back on the pig hunt?

I have to admit that learning about this gun stuff is interesting. I am reading a book that talked about the old Colt revolvers, it is really fascinating how guns work and have evolved. Did you ever get a report back on the pig hunt?
I don't remember details, but I know they each got a boar. Hard to believe that was 45 +/- years ago.

Reactions: Lynne
I don't remember details, but I know they each got a boar. Hard to believe that was 45 +/- years ago.
That would have been a fun hunt, your boss sounds like an interesting sort. Time has flown way too fast.

Reactions: Duke