Destructive ‘Super Pigs’ From Canada Threaten the Northern U.S.

YES! Got one myself. A carbine.
Back in the late 70s, I was working in TX as a coop student. Long story short, my boss invited me to go boar hunting with him and his buddy in east TX. A week or so before we were to have gone, he asked me what gun I was going to take. I told him the only gun I had with me was a .30 cal M-1 carbine. Just like that I was disinvited. He said, "These are tough, mean b@$+ards. No way you're going with us with a gun that will only make them mad if you hit them." Thus, ended my boar hunting career before it started.

I have only a 120 year-old model 7mm Mauser. Still in excellent condition and certified to fire modern rounds. The exact same rifle carried by German infantry in WW1. The heaviest rifle I have ever used! Lugging one of these plus combat packs in the mud must have been a hell unto itself.

I have a period bayonet for it, it could be a "pig sticker" lol.

The Zombie Apocalypse folks could run with this, that's the crowd to pitch to. Everyone except PETA will be happy.

Reactions: Lynne and Selectric
Back in the late 70s, I was working in TX as a coop student. Long story short, my boss invited me to go boar hunting with him and his buddy in east TX. A week or so before we were to have gone, he asked me what gun I was going to take. I told him the only gun I had with me was a .30 cal M-1 carbine. Just like that I was disinvited. He said, "These are tough, mean b@$+ards. No way you're going with us with a gun that will only make them mad if you hit them." Thus, ended my boar hunting career before it started.
A 30-30 is one of the preferred weapons for Elk at closer ranges believe It or not. Must I say it? I will. It’s all…about… shot placement….
Hit hit between the eyes, or in his ear, and it’s Good Night Sam!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynne and Stevedog
A 30-30 is one of the preferred weapons for Elk at closer ranges believe It or not. Must I say it? I will. It’s all…about… shot placement….
Sure, but with 110 grain bullets, the 30-30 has about twice the energy of a .30 cal carbine round. I don't remember, if I ever even knew, what caliber rifle my boss/his friend used. And no argument about shot placement, although I wouldn't have wanted to count on my accuracy as a 19-20 year old occasional plinker. As a hunter, my experience to that point was mostly pheasant and quail in Ohio.
In hindsight, he made the right decision.

Just like with Real Estate, it's all about Location, Location, Location.

The first time I took my daughter to the range I let her pick out her own target. She went with that same "bad guy with a revolver" target that anyone who has been to a gun range in the past 50 years has seen. I then handed her my .22 rifle, sent the target down range and let her shoot. When we pulled the target back in there were a few holes scattered in the head but the bulk of the shots were within a 4 inch grouping right on the bad guys crotch. I told her "I think your aim is a little low" to which she smiled and said "No Dad. That's exactly where I was aiming!"

Wow, I just looked that gun up and it shoots accurate at 300 yards, you could hit it twice before it got to you. How big of a gun do you need? That one looked pretty impressive on line.

Just like with Real Estate, it's all about Location, Location, Location.

The first time I took my daughter to the range I let her pick out her own target. She went with that same "bad guy with a revolver" target that anyone who has been to a gun range in the past 50 years has seen. I then handed her my .22 rifle, sent the target down range and let her shoot. When we pulled the target back in there were a few holes scattered in the head but the bulk of the shots were within a 4 inch grouping right on the bad guys crotch. I told her "I think your aim is a little low" to which she smiled and said "No Dad. That's exactly where I was aiming!"
great story!

Sure, but with 110 grain bullets, the 30-30 has about twice the energy of a .30 cal carbine round. I don't remember, if I ever even knew, what caliber rifle my boss/his friend used. And no argument about shot placement, although I wouldn't have wanted to count on my accuracy as a 19-20 year old occasional plinker. As a hunter, my experience to that point was mostly pheasant and quail in Ohio.
In hindsight, he made the right decision.
Yeah Duke I also failed to mention that a 3030 is a bit more potent around the M1 carbine. My dad shot those in the Korean War.

I have only a 120 year-old model 7mm Mauser. Still in excellent condition and certified to fire modern rounds. The exact same rifle carried by German infantry in WW1. The heaviest rifle I have ever used! Lugging one of these plus combat packs in the mud must have been a hell unto itself.

I have a period bayonet for it, it could be a "pig sticker" lol.

The Zombie Apocalypse folks could run with this, that's the crowd to pitch to. Everyone except PETA will be happy.
I had the same thoughts about my Russian Mosin-Nagant 7.62×54mm rifle from the same era. It weighted about the same as an M-1 Garand, but was longer and to me wasn't as well balanced as a Garand. It was also a shoulder thumper and incredibly loud. I didn't enjoy shooting it, so I sold to a friend and actually made $100 in the process.