Demons and Djinns

3. Major Demons/Archdemons (part 1)

Archdemons are considered to be leaders of demonic hosts, and are believed to be of the same level as Archangels but evil in nature. The structure of demons follow a very strict hierarchy with Satan at the top and the archdemons beneath him.

In my previous post, I spoke about the 72 spirits of Solomon. These 72 demons are considered to be very powerful as they hold high titles, therefore they are high up on the hierarchy, but the archdemons outrank them and are significantly more powerful. However one or two demons from the 72 spirits tend to be regarded as archdemons, depending on the classification.

There are a wide range of classifications of demons, each of them differing from one another, however Beelzebub makes a consistent appearance in several of these classifications. An interesting note is that Beelzebub was controlled by King Solomon, however he was never contained in the brass vessel therefore he does not fall under the 72 spirits. Three significant classifications of demons are as follows:

3.1 The Lanterne of Lights (1409 – 1410) and Binsfeld’s (1589) Classification of Demons

This classification associates the demons with the Seven Deadly Sins, and therefore these demons are believed to cause people to commit these sins.

· Gluttony (Gula) – Beelzebub
· Lust (Luxuria) – Asmodeus
· Greed (Avaritia) – Mammon
· Envy (Invidia) – Leviathan
· Pride (Superbia) – Lucifer
· Sloth (Acedia) – Belphegor
· Wrath (Ira) – Satan

3.2 Michaelis’ (1613) Classification of Demons

This classification was created by Sebastien Michaelis who was informed about three hierarchies by the demon Berith, while trying to exorcize a nun. The first hierarchy is argued to be the only one containing archdemons, the other two hierarchies contain less significant demons. It is also argued that this hierarchy may have been false information as Lucifer does not appear in the list, yet he is one of the supreme demons (along with Beelzebub and Astaroth) and was one of the first fallen angels. But it is was noted that Berith placed Beelzebub underneath Lucifer which may suggest that Lucifer is superior to all three hierarchies. Regardless, the first hierarchy is as follows:

· Beelzebub (opposed by St. Francis of Assisi)
· Leviathan (opposed by St. Peter)
· Asmodeus (opposed by St. John the Baptist)
· Berith (opposed by St Barnadas)
· Astaroth (opposed by St. Bartholomew)
· Verrine (opposed by St. Dominic)
· Sonneillon (opposed by St Stephen)

3.3 The Three Supreme Evil Demons

These demons are considered to be of the highest order of demons, with only Satan as their superior, and also the most powerful and dangerous demons.

· Lucifer
· Beelzebub
· Astaroth

Many people use the names Satan, Lucifer, and Beelzebub interchangeably for the devil. This, however, is considered a big misconception as each of them are believed to be separate individuals, with Satan being the accepted name for the devil. But the power and malevolence of Lucifer and Beelzebub are equated to that of Satan. Lucifer is more closely synonymous with the devil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Charleh
3. Major Demons/Archdemons (part 2)

3.4 Details on the Above Mentioned Demons in Part 1

There are many other demons considered to be archdemons all based on different faiths and classifications. The main ones that are famously classified as archdemons/major demons are Beelzebub, Lucifer, Satan, Astaroth, Mammon, Asmodeus, Leviathan, and Belphegor. Berith, Verrine and Sonneillon are often referred to as normal demons, but we’ll take a look at each of the above mentioned demons regardless.

3.4.1 Asmodeus

Asmodeus is the demon of lust, the 32nd spirit of Solomon and one of the kings of Hell. His main objectives is to ruin marriages and lead couples into adultery. Often in possession cases, Asmodeus is one of the chief demons responsible. He is also considered to be one of the most evil and dangerous demons in the hierarchy, and one of the few archdemons to be contained in Solomon’s brass vessel.

3.4.2 Astaroth

Astaroth is one of the supreme evil demons, the 29th spirit of Solomon and a duke of Hell. It’s believed he was once a high ranking angel of either the seraphim or a prince of thrones. He is now believed to be the treasurer of Hell. Astaroth is noted for having a horrific odor and breath, and although he is not a demon of the seven deadly sins, he still encourages slothfulness. Astaroth is also believed to be one of the demons most likely to be responsible for instigating possessions of individuals. He also believes he was unjustly punished by God and feels that one day he will be restored to his original place in Heaven.

3.4.3 Beelzebub

Beelzebub is considered to be the prince of demons in Hell, is one of the three supreme evil demons and is the demon of gluttony. The meaning of his name translates to Lord of the Flies. He is believed to have two forms of physical manifestation. The first is that of a gigantic fly, and the other form as a huge, monstrous being with a swollen face and chest, horns, bat wings and covered in thick black hair. Since the earliest accounts of Beelzebub, he has been one of the most feared demons in human history. He was the Prince of Demons in Hebrew belief at the time of Jesus. The Pharisees accused Jesus of exorcizing demons in Beelzebub’s name, for according to belief, the power to expel unclean spirits was gained through pacts with demons. The incident is recounted in Matthew (12:24–29), Mark (3:22–27), and Luke (11:14–22).

When confronted by Solomon, Beelzebub identifies himself as the ruler of all demons because he was the highest ranking angel in Heaven. It is also believed Beelzebub played a significant role in bringing a large number of the 72 demons to Solomon.

Beelzebub claims he causes men to worship demons, arouses sexual desires in holy men, causes wars, instigates murders and causes jealousy. It is believed that he is so powerful that only God and Jesus are able to truly thwart him, and he will disappear if anyone uses the oath, Elo-i which is what Jesus cried on the cross and means “my God”.

Conjuring Beelzebub is considered to be extremely dangerous (more than many other demons) and the conjurer risks death by epilepsy, apoplexy (result of a stroke or cerebral haemorrhage), or strangulation, and once conjured he is very difficult to expel.

3.4.4 Belphegor

Belphegor is a major demon and also the demon of one of the seven deadly sins (sloth). Before his fall, he was once an angel in the Order of Principalities. Belphegor is part of the demonic counterparts to the angels who rule the sephirot of the Tree of Life (representation of the process on how the universe came into being), and rules over the sixth sephirah.

3.4.5 Berith

Berith is the 28th spirit of Solomon and a duke in Hell. Before his fall, Berith was an angel in the Order of Cherubim, but is now believed to serve as a master of ceremonies and grand pontiff in Hell. He is also responsible for notarizing pacts with the devil. He is also a classic example of the dishonesty that demons exhibit, as once conjured will make promises that he will later come to break. After the conjuror has reaped no benefits from Berith’s broken promises and lies, their soul will be claimed by him for eternity.

3.4.6 Leviathan

Leviathan is the demon of envy and is described in the book of Job as a huge whale-like creature who is virtually invincible. Many texts describe Leviathan as a female demon and sometimes as a serpent-like creature that lurks in the oceans. There are many different variations regarding Leviathan but discuss Leviathan’s attributes as a demon. Leviathan has also been used as a depiction for Satan who uses wrath to destroy God’s creatures and creations.

3.4.7 Lucifer

Lucifer is a fallen angel often synonymous for being the devil, however he is also seen as an individual equated with Satan. He is the demon of pride and it is believed that his prideful nature was one of the reasons for him getting cast out of heaven. Interestingly, Lucifer is sometimes noted to outrank Satan in the demon hierarchy and he is also referred to as the emperor of Hell while Satan is his lieutenant.

3.4.8 Mammon

Mammon is the demon of greed and the prince of tempters. His significance is equated to that of Lucifer, Beelzebub and Satan, but his name is not synonymous with the devil like theirs are.

3.4.9 Satan

Satan is the personification of evil, the demon of wrath and overall accepted name for the devil. He is seen as the ultimate ruler of demons and Hell. It’s believed that Satan was once an angel of God, and the archangel Michael ordered Satan to bow down before Adam as he was made in the image of God. Satan refused as he felt Adam was inferior and instead should worship him. Many angels under Satan agreed and God cast them all out of Heaven for this rebellious act. But this theory is not very prominent in the Christian faith.

3.4.10 Sonneillon

Sonneillon is the demon responsible for causing hatred and tempts individuals to hate. He imposes hatred in order to cause havoc in society and destroy positivism.

3.4.11 Verrine

Verrine is the demon of impatience and causes individuals to take actions impulsively, often resulting in negative repercussions.

Last edited:
I'm not religious at all, in fact, I consider myself to be Agnostic. And insofar as, say, a biblical sort of Yahweh God is concerned, an atheist.

So I don't but into all the religious slash Mythology background stuff for Demons.

But I do believe they exist.

I've seen them on two occasions.

Once when I was in Iraq, as a Army tank driver during OIF. And once back home in the states, in a crack house in the hood of a large city. And no, I was not there partaking in crack use!

I believe Demons to be concentrated manifestation of negative energy. Actually more science than mythos.

Just as I believe Angels or, what we refer to as Angels, to be concentrated forms of positive energy.

I call these entities Energy Smears.

I believe they are not all that uncommon, but are still very misinterpreted, as well as fraudulently reported quite often.

And I didn't believe in them til! I saw them. Even after the first sighting and it's attendant physical experience, I was unsure.

But when the exact same physical effects were felt....nausea...rapid HR, terrible burning smell, loud buzzing in ears, during my second encounter I became a believer. And the appearance of the manner in which the energy presented itself to my vision...iow, the say the damn thing looked...was the exact same on both occasions.

I hope done fo!just weigh in here with personal, real demon experience, ad I am quite anxious to see if they match my experiences.

Cheers.

Reactions: Charleh and Grace