Death???

TexDanm

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
Death

Have you ever thought that maybe you were about to die? I have wondered several times in the last 6 or 7 months if I was either not going to wake up in the morning or if I was about to die right that moment. Today there were a few moments that I wondered. I was a little like Red Fox on the old “Sanford and Son” show and wasn’t sure that I was about to check out. I am having a problem with my blood pressure and during dialysis today it bottomed out. At around 75/30 my mind started to shut down and I got weak as hell. Everyone was trying to talk to me, asking if I was alright, but I just couldn’t put words together.

Not to worry I already had an IV in me and they started pumping fluids back into me and in a little while I perked up but it took almost an hour before I was steady enough to walk and go home. I feel great right now but that isn’t really what this post is about.

As my thoughts started to slow down I had a rather interesting feeling about it all. I was not at all afraid and felt strangely at peace. My vision began to fade but somehow I could seem to see so clearly. It was a little like looking at things through either a telescope or maybe a microscope. Details became so sharp. Everyone else was sort of freaking out but I was at peace and not at all worried. I sort of felt like I didn’t care one way or another and that it would be OK either way it went.

For about 5 minutes I came face to face with my mortality and you know what? Even as my mind slowed I was very aware and my most powerful emotion was a vast curiosity about what is next. I am aware that this was mostly the wandering of a mind that was starved for oxygen but nonetheless it was sort of nice to know that when my time comes I will be at peace with it.

Nobody could understand why as I came out of it why I was so danm chipper. I felt really good and happy. I was just a little shaky but honestly, I was in better shape than my wife and nurse were. They are having a hard time with the fact that though I am in a state of almost total renal failure, I am not holding any fluids and when they do the dialysis they can’t take much fluid out of me. That is NOT typical. I was one liter down today and my BP just fell off a cliff and bounced back when they gave me about a liter back.

I am now back to normal and feel great but it was an interesting experience.

PS: Danm is my first name and last initial. I know how to spell damn but prefer my own twisted way and do it on purpose.

Had to move this off of live thread, Dan, but I put you here in spirituality area.

OK, I actually know what you're talking about. I've had a time or two of those moments of clarity and peace while deciding if I was coming or going. I have a heart issue that is life long and one day it just tripped out. As I was on the floor with my kid and paramedics looking on I experienced that same sense of calm and clearness. My only concern was they wanted to use the paddles on me to convert me to the right rythm and I preferred they wouldn't...lol But I hear you on this.

They say dying is the easiest thing you will ever do, nice to have some confirmation with this story. I got stung a couple of days ago three times by the same type of wasp that almost killed me with one sting a couple of years ago. I instantly thought this is it but the fear only lasted a few seconds then I felt a great calmness. I didn't use my epipen and obviously pulled through with only a few lumps but I think facing death isn't that bad. I still have a healthy respect for wasps though, lol.

I think that as we get older, death is not so scary, especially when we are struggling with severe health problems. I'm glad you are still with us, Dan!

Reactions: Paulm and ozentity
Death

Have you ever thought that maybe you were about to die? I have wondered several times in the last 6 or 7 months if I was either not going to wake up in the morning or if I was about to die right that moment. Today there were a few moments that I wondered. I was a little like Red Fox on the old “Sanford and Son” show and wasn’t sure that I was about to check out. I am having a problem with my blood pressure and during dialysis today it bottomed out. At around 75/30 my mind started to shut down and I got weak as hell. Everyone was trying to talk to me, asking if I was alright, but I just couldn’t put words together.

Not to worry I already had an IV in me and they started pumping fluids back into me and in a little while I perked up but it took almost an hour before I was steady enough to walk and go home. I feel great right now but that isn’t really what this post is about.

As my thoughts started to slow down I had a rather interesting feeling about it all. I was not at all afraid and felt strangely at peace. My vision began to fade but somehow I could seem to see so clearly. It was a little like looking at things through either a telescope or maybe a microscope. Details became so sharp. Everyone else was sort of freaking out but I was at peace and not at all worried. I sort of felt like I didn’t care one way or another and that it would be OK either way it went.

For about 5 minutes I came face to face with my mortality and you know what? Even as my mind slowed I was very aware and my most powerful emotion was a vast curiosity about what is next. I am aware that this was mostly the wandering of a mind that was starved for oxygen but nonetheless it was sort of nice to know that when my time comes I will be at peace with it.

Nobody could understand why as I came out of it why I was so danm chipper. I felt really good and happy. I was just a little shaky but honestly, I was in better shape than my wife and nurse were. They are having a hard time with the fact that though I am in a state of almost total renal failure, I am not holding any fluids and when they do the dialysis they can’t take much fluid out of me. That is NOT typical. I was one liter down today and my BP just fell off a cliff and bounced back when they gave me about a liter back.

I am now back to normal and feel great but it was an interesting experience.

PS: Danm is my first name and last initial. I know how to spell damn but prefer my own twisted way and do it on purpose.
When I was about 14 I was sucked in to a rip current. It was pretty violent with the big waves and force of the current. Keep in mind, in my mind one of the worst ways to die (for me, is anything water/drowning related). I tried my hardest and I watched all my cousins swim to shore with out noticing that I was not with them. I yelled for help but I wasn't heard over the waves. I kept going out further and further. I panicked a little once I couldn't touch the bottom. I tried fighting the current but once I ran out of energy for like the 5th time. I just got this overwhelming sense of calm. I became Ok with the fact that this was it. It almost felt like I was some type of "high", I just felt good mentally and had a nice warm feeling come over my body. I wont go all the way in to it but I eventually made it back in. But that same day another kid got dragged out and never came back in, I woke up to the coast guard skimming the water for his body. I also got electrocuted once. I noticed the sparks coming out of the extension cord then thought I should let go but I couldn't lol! My vision started getting dark around the edges then turned white where it was dark. I don't think it was "THE" White light but I was definitely going out lol! No sense of calm or anything. In fact there was nothin, no fear, no pain, no anxiety, no thought. Just watched it happen.

Honestly, I hope it doesn't come to pass for myself or anyone else here for a very long time but it's always been a concern. But I do think that when it's time most everyone will be ready. And not going into detail, but I thought about it a lot after I lost someone close to me a few years ago and things just started going downhill, but I also think that was probably normal.

Honestly, I hope it doesn't come to pass for myself or anyone else here for a very long time but it's always been a concern. But I do think that when it's time most everyone will be ready. And not going into detail, but I thought about it a lot after I lost someone close to me a few years ago and things just started going downhill, but I also think that was probably normal.
I think it's our ultimate fear at the same time our glorious destination. Maybe we fear it most because of the pain we feel as you say when our loved ones pass but in a strange way I'm glad for them that they are already there and will welcome us. We will meet again but quoting a movie line, not today, :) .

Maybe we fear it most because of the pain we feel as you say when our loved ones pass
There was a little more involved than just that. After she died, I was looking for any type of support I could get because while I'm an adult, I didn't really feel I could stand on my own two feet at the time and when I thought I'd had it - she herself was gone. Vanished without a trace nor explanation and thus, abandonment came into play and I didn't care at the time whether I lived or died.

• Sad
Reactions: ozentity
Dan thanks for sharing your experience, it is comforting to add this experience to our knowledge about death. I havent had any experience that can relate but by faith I believe there is life after death.

Reactions: Debi