Dead Zone

When I was in the Army we had access to all kinds of fun electronic signal toys. We had a full range spectrum analyzer that we used to identify all kinds of frequencies, from the drive through intercom for the on base Burger King to the alarm on the commanders car. Upon identifying the signal we could tune into those frequencies and listen to chatter or setup the frequency jammer to interrupt the signal. Some of those guy thought it was hilarious to find active frequencies, jam them and then see who was complaining about signal loss or other problems as a way of identifying who was using that frequency.

Eventually a notice was put out by the base commander that more care needed to had when going through signals training so as not to inadvertently jam civilian frequencies in use. So if there is a signal issue near a military base it might be more mischievous than sinister.

"Most garage door openers function on frequencies between 300 MHz and 390 MHz, with the most common frequencies being 300 MHz, 310 MHz, 315 MHz, and 390 MHz."

source:
Garage Opener Remote Range & Interference

Understood, and not disputed. I believe you missed my intention.

The 1.6 gHz signal is associated with regional UFO appearances. The neighborhood where this happened is close to a recent video capture of a "Skinwalker-type" UFO. I'm looking for that connection. Following a hunch.

I don't think the 1.6 gHz signal has anything to do, directly, with the door openers malfunctioning. What they describe happening seems more like a brute-power jamming of the transmitter signals, whatever the frequency. But as you can see, I'm actually trying to find a UFO connection there, more than figure out the exact physical process of what's screwing with the door openers.

I would look at rapid transmitter battery drains, if one wanted to go down the ghost road. They say they replace batteries but I have seen full batteries drain in seconds in haunted locations. Maybe the town is built on native American burial ground?

When I was in the Army we had access to all kinds of fun electronic signal toys. We had a full range spectrum analyzer that we used to identify all kinds of frequencies, from the drive through intercom for the on base Burger King to the alarm on the commanders car. Upon identifying the signal we could tune into those frequencies and listen to chatter or setup the frequency jammer to interrupt the signal. Some of those guy thought it was hilarious to find active frequencies, jam them and then see who was complaining about signal loss or other problems as a way of identifying who was using that frequency.

Eventually a notice was put out by the base commander that more care needed to had when going through signals training so as not to inadvertently jam civilian frequencies in use. So if there is a signal issue near a military base it might be more mischievous than sinister.
A boss I had early in my career was a retired USAF O-5 and former B-52 radar navigator. He claimed a B-52 coming in to land engaged its electronic warfare gear and destroyed the speed radar unit of a local police department.

The story was there was a lengthy stretch of road from the base to town. Local police had a habit of ambushing base personnel on Friday nights either leaving the Club (officers) or coming back from downtown (enlisted). Apparently the base commander complained to the town's mayor about this practice, but it did no good.

When a B-52 crewman got a DUI leaving the base after drinking at the Club one Friday night, his squadron mates got even by taking out the radar of a police car parked along the road to town that happened to be just on the other side of the fence from the runway. Or so the story goes....

When I was in the army in the olden days the only people who had access to that kind of equipment were they crypto repair guys. The rest of us were still using WW2 equipment. (I was in the Signal corps)

When I was in the army in the olden days the only people who had access to that kind of equipment were they crypto repair guys. The rest of us were still using WW2 equipment. (I was in the Signal corps)
Yeah, that's sort of what I was. My MOS was 33R - Electronic Warfare/ Intercept Aviation Systems Repairer. My job was to fix the systems on spy planes.

Back in the early 1990s there was a spot on a local highway where, whenever I passed through it, I would get a strange crackling sound in my ears. It felt electrical and had an audible crackling sound. It would last for about a mile or so and then stop. I asked others that lived in the area if they experienced anything like that in that location and nobody knew what I was talking about.

I began dating a woman at that time and told her about it. She suggested that we both ride in my car and drive through it to see if she picked up anything. So we did. We went through "the zone" and, as usual, I heard/felt the strange crackling and she said she felt something too. I turned the car around to go back through it again. It only happened when I drove through the area in one direction and not in the other direction. So, I drove back past it and turned around to take another run through it. Immediately as I reentered the highway to take another pass a small black car pulled up alongside me on my side and continued to keep pace with me. I slowed and the black car slowed. I sped up and so did that other car. The side window of the black car on my side was oddly fogged over but I could make out that there was a person behind the window staring at me as we drove along. Very creepy! I had the distinct impression that whoever was in that black car was aware of what we were doing and wanted to take a closer look at us.

Anyway, we drove through "the zone" and the usual effect happened and my date said she felt it again too. When we reached the end and the effect stopped, the black car suddenly sped up, took an exit to another freeway, and sped away.

After a few weeks or months, the phenomenon stopped and I've never noticed it again though I've driven that stretch of highway many times and still live near there.

Also, during that time I had a radio scanner that I used to listen to police, hams and others using the airwaves and I picked up some guy talking about some "crazy transmission" he kept picking up that seemed to be coming from the mountain that overlooked the area where I was getting that effect. He said he tried to pinpoint it but couldn't.

This area does have a history of strangeness -- UFO sightings, strange lights, mysterious booms, etc. Some of which I have witnessed. A book was even written about UFO doings there called "The Tujunga Canyon Contacts."

Last edited:
Back in the early 1990s there was a spot on a local highway where, whenever I passed through it, I would get a strange crackling sound in my ears. It felt electrical and had an audible crackling sound. It would last for about a mile or so and then stop. I asked others that lived in the area if they experienced anything like that in that location and nobody knew what I was talking about.

I began dating a woman at that time and told her about it. She suggested that we both ride in my car and drive through it to see if she picked up anything. So we did. We went through "the zone" and, as usual, I heard/felt the strange crackling and she said she felt something too. I turned the car around to go back through it again. It only happened when I drove through the area in one direction and not in the other direction. So, I drove back past it and turned around to take another run through it. Immediately as I reentered the highway to take another pass a small black car pulled up alongside me on my side and continued to keep pace with me. I slowed and the black car slowed. I sped up and so did that other car. The side window of the black car on my side was oddly fogged over but I could make out that there was a person behind the window staring at me as we drove along. Very creepy! I had the distinct impression that whoever was in that black car was aware of what we were doing and wanted to take a closer look at us.

Anyway, we drove through "the zone" and the usual effect happened and my date said she felt it again too. When we reached the end and the effect stopped, the black car suddenly sped up, took an exit to another freeway, and sped away.

After a few weeks or months, the phenomenon stopped and I've never noticed it again though I've driven that stretch of highway many times and still live near there.

Also, during that time I had a radio scanner that I used to listen to police, hams and others using the airwaves and I picked up some guy talking about some "crazy transmission" he kept picking up that seemed to be coming from the mountain that overlooked the area where I was getting that effect. He said he tried to pinpoint it but couldn't.

This area does have a history of strangeness -- UFO sightings, strange lights, mysterious booms, etc. Some of which I have witnessed. A book was even written about UFO doings there called "The Tujunga Canyon Contacts."
Now, that just gave me chills. And one of the reasons GWU is checking for a specific transmission signal.

Reactions: Selectric and Duke

Sounds like a "Twilight Zone" episode.

Reactions: Paulm and Selectric