Dead Zone

GoneWestUtah

Currently Active on planet Earth
Reaction score
This is happening only a few miles south of where a UFO identical to the ones I filmed at Skinwalker was seen and videod.
I am curious to see if there is a 1.6 gHz signal. I may head over there on the weekend with my RF spectrum analyzer.

This is happening only a few miles south of where a UFO identical to the ones I filmed at Skinwalker was seen and videod.
I am curious to see if there is a 1.6 gHz signal. I may head over there on the weekend with my RF spectrum analyzer.

I wonder if the interference is affecting both older and current state of the art openers equally. Back maybe fifteen years ago when our remote died, the door company told us openers had been redesigned in the early 90s and no longer operated on the same frequency as our by then 25 year old opener. Had to get a new, modern opener/remotes.

In the late 60s, there was a string of stories in the Dayton area about automatic garage doors opening on their own. Eventually it was claimed aircraft from WPAFB were transmitting on a frequency that triggered the openers. That problem eventually found its way into the plots of TV programs of the period.

Older remotes were prone to "phantom" operation. I have a story, was an industry insider for years.

Newer digital openers don't have that problem.

Something is overpowering the remote carrier wave.

Reactions: Selectric
Older remotes were prone to "phantom" operation. I have a story, was an industry insider for years.

Newer digital openers don't have that problem.

Something is overpowering the remote carrier wave.
Let us know if you figure it out!

Yeah, i'd be interested in what you find out. Keep us posted GWU.

Garage door openers can be hacked and ample instructions for doing so are easy to find online.

My guess is there's an electronics nerd prankster in that neighborhood having a bit of fun.

Funny story to go with this. In my last year at work, I needed to ride a mobility scooter. I had a small one at first, then decided to upgrade to a full on pretty red scooter. Now, I was based in a hospital. The Sheriff's dept was across the street. One day that scooter started acting possessed. It would move with me not on it. It would dead stop and lock up out of the blue, and considering the speed I was often going on that thing that was dangerous. Called the company rep out to see what was up. It would work fine and then bang! It was possessed again. The rep finally called over to the Sheriff's dept and asked if they had changed frequency lately. Yup! Once we figured that out and switched frequency on that thing I was back to work without fear of becoming a patient!

Garage door openers can be hacked and ample instructions for doing so are easy to find online.

My guess is there's an electronics nerd prankster in that neighborhood having a bit of fun.

Read the article carefully. Doors are not opening by themselves, the remotes themselves are not working. Range is decreasing until they no longer work.

This is not a case of someone with a hacked transmitter. The receivers cannot be hacked without access to them. A code must be set using switches on the opener, in the garage. I doubt a prankster has access to everyone's homes.

What seems to be happening is that the receivers inside the garages are not receiving the transmitter signal at all.
For this to happen, the proper transmitter carrier wave must be getting swamped under a more powerful signal. The inexpensive receivers in the door openers cannot pull the signal out of the noise.

Garage door frequencies are not set-aside by the FCC, also stated in the article, so I am leaning toward government or commercial use of the frequency range that these door openers operate on. The source hasn't been determined yet.

But to satisfy a personal curiosity I am going to look for a 1.6 gHz signal when I go there. I can scan pretty much the entire "radio" spectrum but there is no point in that, it's also too massive a project without the proper analysis software and a beefy computer.

If enough people in the area contacted their Congressional rep, he/she could light a fire under the FCC's ass to send out the right people with the right equipment to figure this out. Congressmen live for these type opportunities, lots of facetime with concerned constituents and local media coverage.

Reactions: Paulm and Selectric