Day Trips

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
A day trip is a visit to a tourist destination or attraction from a person's home/hotel in the morning, returning to the same lodging in the evening. Do you have a favorite day trip destination? Tell us about a day trip you've taken that you really enjoyed or has special meaning to you.

On Friday we took a day trip to the shore. At first we thought of staying overnight, but we hadn't left food out for the fur babies so we came back that evening. My favorite destination is anyplace near water, ocean or lake if I can.

The Sandy Hook beach we visited was right near the army base where I used to report when I was in the US army reserves and I also lived near the Jersey shore in my teens. So that is a fave place to be.

Mrs Duke enjoys trips to Ohio's "Amish Country," it's a three hour drive. She loves their crafts and baked good.

Within 3-4 hours of me, there are at least a dozen Division 1A college football teams representing all but two of the ten 1A conferences. If I include small college football schools, the number is close to thirty. I've been to most of them at least once.

Mrs Duke enjoys trips to Ohio's "Amish Country," it's a three hour drive. She loves their crafts and baked good.

Within 3-4 hours of me, there are at least a dozen Division 1A college football teams representing all but two of the ten 1A conferences. If I include small college football schools, the number is close to thirty. I've been to most of them at least once.
I'm with Mrs. Duke...we have two Amish country areas...one north and one south. Used to love to go to those. You need to try Shipshewana sometime! Take lots of money and be prepared to spend an entire day looking and shopping.

We used to go down to Nashville, IN, in Brown County every year. Beautiful scenery in the fall and a whole village of little specialty shops. It has a "train" that will cart you around the little town, and is complete with a Haunted Hotel if you want more adventure.

A good day trip for me would be getting out on a lake fishing. Pull up just before dawn, by the time sun is rising, you are traveling to farthest reaches of the lake. I took a real nice day trip up around Pocono Mountains on a spur of the moment thing and totally solo.

we do day trips quite often in the spring and fall, many rural small towns and areas to explore. we usually get back to savannah a few times a year to the coast also.

I haven't done it in a year or more but I like to take a day trip to Truth or Consequences to soak in the hot springs. I have a friend who lives in a small town in the southern part of the state and she likes to arrange to meet there for a weekend, but she is retired and I don't have time any more to do that. It would probably do me some good so maybe I can arrange to meet my sister (who lives about the same distance to the south as I do to the north). I think I will contact her today and see if we can arrange it. Both of us need a day off.

I also take day trips to Las Cruces to visit my sister and to Aztec to visit some of my relatives, both about a 3 hour drive from where I live.