News Dali Paternity Test - Exhumed

Paintman

Go Go White Sox
Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
Salvador Dali's body to be exhumed to resolve paternity case
ASpanish judge has ordered the exhumation of Salvador Dalí's body for DNA testing to settle a claim by a TV fortune-teller that she is the secret daughter of the Surrealist painter.

Pilar Abel Martínez, 61, from Dalí's home town of Figueres in Catalonia, has for years insisted that she is the product of a "clandestine love affair" between her mother and the then married artist. She is now suing the Gala-Salvador Dalí Foundation and the Spanish state, which inherited his works, to be recognised as his biological daughter. The verdict is due later this year.

Ms Abel, who describes herself as "Dalí without the moustache" for her supposed physical resemblance to the painter, previously arranged to carry out a test using material from his death mask. However insufficient DNA was found, and the Madrid judge overseeing the case has now ruled there is no other way to obtain samples other than to disinter Dalí’s remains. ...........
The Gala-Salvador Dali Foundation said it would challenge the exhumation order and was working on an appeal in coordination with government lawyers to be presented in the coming days.

If Ms Abel is confirmed to be the daughter of Dalí, it would provide fresh insight into the painter’s marriage to Gala, one of the art world’s most famous love stories. They originally married in 1934 in a civil ceremony but were joined in the eyes of the Church in 1958 after Gala, a divorcee, was granted special dispensation by the Vatican. Dalí was said to devoted to his wife, also his artistic muse, but due to his purported phobia of female genitalia, allowed her to maintain extramarital affairs. In 1968, the couple purchased a castle in the region of Girona, to which Gala moved and which her husband was only allowed to visit on invitation.

Me again. This last paragraph is very telling. Think about the sexualized nature of his paintings.

Never knew the back story on Dali.
Welp, giraffes on fire in an alien landscape w/ big human boobs ?
I like Dali. Have a picture book. I think he appealed to me the way Karl Jung does. Saying elemental truths about the human condition in an offbeat way.:)

Reactions: Debi
I never considered the aligorical meaning of his paintings. I just always just thought they were cool. He sounds like a strange guy. Hope they get the DNA to get to the truth for that poor woman. Either way it turns out she will know the truth.