Cultural stereotypes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naked Apple

Anam Cara
Reaction score
The past few days I've come across some "humorous" stereotypes of various cultures. Stereotypes aren't created in a vacuum and the old adage is, "Where there's smoke, there's fire".

Of course, some stereotypes are exaggerated and there is a fine line between a cultural stereotype and racism. The following examples that I will post are meant as humor and in no way, shape or form are meant disparagingly.

I will start with my own ethnic background, which is mostly Colombian, Spanish and German. My mother had the famous bad German temper which I will occasionally see in myself (unless it's a NY thing, another stereotype). Sofia Bergarra does a good job of portraying the spitfire Colombian on Modern Family. I actually have worked with 2 other women who were born and raised in Colombia. They were the spitfire type. I must be missing the "spitfire" gene and am nothing like that. Must be the fluoride in our American water. (j/k) My sister went to a firing range once and the first time out had incredible aim. She joked "It must be the Colombian in me!".

What about you? What good or bad "stereotypes" do you portray, be they ethnic or geographical?

29yjwxe.jpg

6d441b68_zps14aabdcb.jpg

CANada_zpse902f8aa.jpg

I suppose my Irish ancestry can be blamed for my love of a good drink (though not to excess for a loooong time now!)!

02ab9581f4681642f73bf9526eb75f08.jpg

Reactions: Naked Apple
Love the smiley! Brings back good memories of the Irish bars in Sunnyside and Woodside in Queens. The Irish bars in Boston are kick ass also. I remember one that I used to like called the Roisin Dubh (Black Rose).

Reactions: surge
Status
Not open for further replies.