Creativity Via Dreams

7Critter

Paranormal Trooper
Staff
Reaction score
Why do we dream ? There are many theories; it is the subject of much study; perhaps we dream for differing reasons. What is well documented is that dreams have inspired the creation of things. In this thread we shall explore some of the thoughts, ideas and creations attributed to dreams. Perhaps you have been inspired. Tell us about it.

Last edited:
Many songs have been inspired by a dream including

The Beatles - "Yesterday" (1965) *

The Rolling Stones - "(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction" (1965)

Jimi Hendrix - "Purple Haze" (1967)

The Beatles - "Let It Be" (1970)

Michael Martin Murphey - Wildfire (1975)

When you read about how musicians were inspired by a dream, the songs ( sometimes with strange lyrics) have more meaning and make more sense. Some authors say that their Mom or a deceased loved one gave them lyrics in a dream message or gave them the melody in a dream. They woke up and immediately went to the piano. Because dream messages are usually short term memory, you have to immediately record the message in a logbook or a song.

* I will jot down a few stories as this thread progresses

Last edited:
Inventions and works inspired by dreams:

The sewing machine *
Plots to books such as Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Robert Louis Stevenson's Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
The structure of chemical compounds like Benzene
The chemistry Periodic Table structure
The structure of the double helix DNA

* again, I will jot down some stories in this thread

Tell us inspirition that you have received from a dream

Last edited:
* Robert Louis Stevenson is an author who is known for his adventure novels like Treasure Island. However, one of his works took a sharp left turn into horror when he wrote The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. The novella addresses the concept of duality within human identity through the character’s of respectable Dr. Jekyll and his terrifying alter ego Mr. Hyde. The story came to Stevenson in a nightmare that was so bad he began yelling in the middle of the night. His wife woke him up which peeved him off because the story in his dream was a great one. The novella went on to become a classic.

326921795_582063340455163_6365109534112608782_n.jpg

Back when I was under the impression that I could become a writer, I had a notebook by my bed where I would write down things from my dreams. Then I would go back sometime later to re-read them and create short stories based on those dreams.

I've also had dreams where I fixed things that were broken in real life. So for example I might be having car trouble but unable to find the problem. Then I'd have a dream where I was working on the car and for some reason the bottom of the gas tank has a lint trap like on a clothes dryer. In dream I clean the trap and the car works again. Upon waking up NY first thought is "that's a whacky dream" followed by "however, a bad fuel pump would explain the issues".

Going with Critters theme of famous works inspired by dreams.

There was an inexperienced film maker named Jim who was given project to direct a sequel to a cheesy monster movie called "Piranha 2:The Spawning. While filming on location in Mexico young Jim became very ill, nausea, cold chills and a fever. In this state he had a horrific nightmare about being chased by an inhuman menace with glowing red eyes. After finishing his work on the B-Budget film he had been hired to make, Jim set out writing a script based on his quite literal fever dream. The script ended up peaking the interest of some producers who gave this relative newcomer the opportunity to film his vision. A few month later, when this dream inspired story was played in theaters it was an instant hit. Studios and audiences alike had taken notice of this new, talented director named Jim, though he preferred to be called James. And people wondered what was next for director James Cameron who had just created a cultural icon in The Terminator.

(insert Paul Harvey impression)
And now you know, the rest of the story. Good day!

Going with Critters theme of famous works inspired by dreams.

There was an inexperienced film maker named Jim who was given project to direct a sequel to a cheesy monster movie called "Piranha 2:The Spawning. While filming on location in Mexico young Jim became very ill, nausea, cold chills and a fever. In this state he had a horrific nightmare about being chased by an inhuman menace with glowing red eyes. After finishing his work on the B-Budget film he had been hired to make, Jim set out writing a script based on his quite literal fever dream. The script ended up peaking the interest of some producers who gave this relative newcomer the opportunity to film his vision. A few month later, when this dream inspired story was played in theaters it was an instant hit. Studios and audiences alike had taken notice of this new, talented director named Jim, though he preferred to be called James. And people wondered what was next for director James Cameron who had just created a cultural icon in The Terminator.

(insert Paul Harvey impression)
And now you know, the rest of the story. Good day!
I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing the info.

The Moody Blues have also claimed dream-inspired music. You can tell it in some of their songs...it's a bit otherworldly at times. And many of their songs, and albums, mention dreams.

Last edited: