COVID-19 Information updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
126844897_10164839739085284_5373399182124919138_o.jpg

Reactions: Benway and Paintman
Some really good news!

The Oxford vaccine works, only costs £3 ($4) per dose and is fridge stable, so no super cold storage units required.
'The Covid vaccine developed in the UK by Oxford University and AstraZeneca can protect 70.4% of people from becoming ill and – in a surprise result – up to 90% if a lower first dose is used, results from the final trial show.'
'While the Oxford results may not immediately look so good, the scientists say they are not comparable, because they have included people who become mildly ill as well as seriously ill, unlike the other two.'

Reactions: Paintman
Some really good news!

The Oxford vaccine works, only costs £3 ($4) per dose and is fridge stable, so no super cold storage units required.
'The Covid vaccine developed in the UK by Oxford University and AstraZeneca can protect 70.4% of people from becoming ill and – in a surprise result – up to 90% if a lower first dose is used, results from the final trial show.'
'While the Oxford results may not immediately look so good, the scientists say they are not comparable, because they have included people who become mildly ill as well as seriously ill, unlike the other two.'
So who pays the 3£? Is that paid for by the government or out of your pocket?

So who pays the 3£? Is that paid for by the government or out of your pocket?
The way drugs usually work in the UK are that the government pays for them, then the public pay a flat fee of £9.15 for each prescription, though anybody on benefit payments gets them for free.
Since they would actually make a profit on this drug, and getting rid of Covid-19 is so important the vaccine will be universally free as far as I can tell. A leaked document estimates that if all went well, the entire UK population could be inoculated by the end of April.

Reactions: Paintman and Duke
Another article about the same vaccine with additional information:

Reactions: Debi
I've been saying this for a while, just look at Indiana's geography overlaid with goods shippped by truck.
America's biggest distribution system by rail is in and around Chicago. From there goods are put on trucks.
If those trucks are going to the northeast or Mid-Atlantic they are passing through Indiana.
A lot of people get fuel in Indiana because of lower taxes. So there is an Allure to stop here. I suspect those truck stops can be the Super spreader. keep in mind that there is a lot of little towns a long busy highways where those truck stops are the biggest thing in town. The locals go there to buy gas and eat at the diner and buy cigarettes.

Another function of geography is the states bordering Indiana had severe lockdowns. Indiana was a bit less, but businesses were open.
Right now Chicago is essentially hopeless. Illinois and Chicago lockdowns are some of the most stringent in the nation - not helping - but that's another story .
And thousands of people cross the border into my County every day to shop and work & for recreation. Also to avoid the Chicago Citywide 11% sales tax, so this always happens- just more now. Lots more.

My 2 cents. Geography explains lots of things. Indiana's state motto is the Crossroads of America.

Reactions: Debi
Here is a quick case in point to illustrate when I'm saying. The county to the south of me is very sparsely populated but it is off of a major interstate. The Indiana covid-19 has that county in red - bad.

It's all isolated and farmland. Tiny towns. but I think those truck stops are bringing it in.

I've been saying this for a while, just look at Indiana's geography overlaid with goods shippped by truck.
America's biggest distribution system by rail is in and around Chicago. From there goods are put on trucks.
If those trucks are going to the northeast or Mid-Atlantic they are passing through Indiana.
A lot of people get fuel in Indiana because of lower taxes. So there is an Allure to stop here. I suspect those truck stops can be the Super spreader. keep in mind that there is a lot of little towns a long busy highways where those truck stops are the biggest thing in town. The locals go there to buy gas and eat at the diner and buy cigarettes.

Another function of geography is the states bordering Indiana had severe lockdowns. Indiana was a bit less, but businesses were open.
Right now Chicago is essentially hopeless. Illinois and Chicago lockdowns are some of the most stringent in the nation - not helping - but that's another story .
And thousands of people cross the border into my County every day to shop and work & for recreation. Also to avoid the Chicago Citywide 11% sales tax, so this always happens- just more now. Lots more.

My 2 cents. Geography explains lots of things. Indiana's state motto is the Crossroads of America.
also colder weather at the moment, a lot of ppl are now doing more inside, like shopping and inside entertainment... just like flu season. the flu is always here its just spread more during the winter months due to ppl gathering indoors. if places that have had mask mandates and or have had a 75% higher rate of ppl wearing mask start to have drastic increases it will show whether masks are actually effective. ppl will get lazy and not wash their masks or wear gloves all day instead of disposing of them. this is actually worse than not wearing them at all due to cross contamination from place to place.... these are all short term solutions due to human nature. a vaccine is is the most promising outlook, my question though is can a vaccine be developed that is effective if this virus is still mutating?

Reactions: Paintman and Duke
Status
Not open for further replies.