COVID-19 Information updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
And these projected numbers will only further increase via the protests. No way everyone is taking precautions. Not trying to hijack but all emphasis has been put on them and they almost treat COVID-19 as if it's done.
Many people, besides the protesters, are treating it as such. BTW, you are new to us, so as a reminder to everyone, we don't do politics or social issues here on the forum, so let's just say any large group/gathering runs a very high risk of furthering the infection spread. (Consider us the Star Trek Neutral Zone...:))

Reactions: Donna K.
Thanks goes to jadamz for sharing this.

RETIRED SURGEON Sam Laucks, has this to say about wearing masks:
“OK, here’s my rant about masks:
I have spent the past 39 years working in the field of surgery. For a significant part of that time, I have worn a mask. I have worked with hundreds (probably thousands) of colleagues during those years, who have also worn masks. Not a single one us of became ill, passed out or died from lack of oxygen. Not a single one of us became ill, passed out or died from breathing too much carbon dioxide. Not a single one us of became ill, passed out or died from rebreathing a little of our own exhaled air. Let’s begin here by putting those scare tactics to rest!
(It is true that some people, with advanced lung diseases, may be so fragile that a mask could make their already-tenuous breathing more difficult. If your lungs are that bad, you probably shouldn’t be going out in public at the present time anyway; the consequences if you are exposed to Covid-19 would likely be devastating.)
“But”, you ask, “can’t viruses go right through the mask, because they are so small?” (“Masks keep viruses out just as well as a chain link fence keeps mosquitoes out,” some tell us.) It is true that individual virus particles can pass through the pores of a mask; however, viruses don’t move on their own. They do not fly across the room like a mosquito, wiggle through your mask like a worm, or fly up your nose like a gnat. The virus is essentially nothing more than a tiny blob of genetic material. Covid-19 travels in a CARRIER – the carrier is a fluid droplet- fluid droplets that you expel when you cough, sneeze, sing, laugh, talk or simply exhale. Most of your fluid droplets will be stopped from entering the air in the room if you are wearing a mask. Wearing a mask is a very efficient way to protect others if you are carrying the virus (even if you don’t know that you are infected). In addition, if someone else’s fluid droplets happen to land on your mask, many of them will not pass through. This gives the wearer some additional protection, too. But, the main reason to wear a mask is to PROTECT OTHERS. Even if you don’t care about yourself, wear your mask to protect your neighbors, co-workers and friends!
A mask is certainly not 100% protective. However, it appears that the severity of Covid-19 infection is at least partially “dose-dependent.” In other words, the more virus particles that enter your body, the sicker you are likely to become. Why not decrease that volume if you can? “What have you got to lose?!”
“But doesn’t a requirement or a request to wear a mask violate my constitutional rights?” You’re also not allowed to go into the grocery store if you are not wearing pants. You can’t yell “fire” in the Produce Department. You’re not allowed to urinate on the floor in the Frozen Food Section. Do you object to those restrictions? Rules, established for the common good, are component of a civilized society.
“But aren’t masks uncomfortable?” Some would say that underwear or shoes can be uncomfortable, but we still wear them. (Actually, being on a ventilator is pretty darned uncomfortable, too!) Are masks really so bad that you can’t tolerate them, even if they will help keep others healthy?
“But won’t people think I’m a snowflake or a wimp if I wear a mask?” I hope you have enough self-confidence to overcome that.
“But won’t I look stupid if I wear a mask?” I’ve decided not to dignify that question with an answer!!
1f642.png
:)
“But I never get sick; I’m not worried.” Well, then, wear a mask for the sake of the rest of us who are not so perfect!
There is good evidence that masks make a real difference in diminishing the transmission of Covid-19. Please, for the sake of others (and for the sake of yourself), wear your mask when in public. It won’t kill you!
P.S. - And, by the way, please be sure that BOTH your nose and mouth are covered!
Recommendations around mask usage are confusing. The science isn't. Evidence shows that masks are extremely effective to slow the coronavirus and may be the best tool available right now to fight it.”
Thank you, Sam Laucks!!
I'd like to add those working in retail and other public facing jobs could really use our help in keeping them protected by wearing masks. Turn about is fair play!!

I have noticed lately that people wearing masks are not covering their noses. Is there something new that has come out to say this is not necessary? Employees in restraints and businesses here in my area of Michigan are not covering their noses. It seems accepted. I don’t watch much news so, did I miss something?

I have noticed lately that people wearing masks are not covering their noses. Is there something new that has come out to say this is not necessary? Employees in restraints and businesses here in my area of Michigan are not covering their noses. It seems accepted. I don’t watch much news so, did I miss something?
Lynne, noses should be covered or it defeats the whole purpose of the mask. Sigh....this is not that difficult but people are making it so.

Reactions: Paintman
I sure hope governments don't come off as the little boy that cried wolf. Some did. Some didn't. I'm not entirely sure that we have a handle on this yet. If this thing gets worse those government bodies are going to need some credibility to get the American people to go along.
And barring that, that's when this whole sweater can really unravel.
My 2 cents.

Reactions: Paulm
I sure hope governments don't come off as the little boy that cried wolf. Some did. Some didn't. I'm not entirely sure that we have a handle on this yet. If this thing gets worse those government bodies are going to need some credibility to get the American people to go along.
And barring that, that's when this whole sweater can really unravel.
My 2 cents.
at this point I think theres no stopping this, its becoming more of a controlled exposure exercise. ...with the goal being to just try to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed but in the end everyone will be exposed in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.