COVID-19 Information updates

OP
Debi

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
And I'm in the middle of some of the hotspots. And and an essential worker. I just try to keep a safe distance from people and even that's hard to do given what I do for a living.
I hear you, Outlaw. That's all we can do at this point. My husband and I are in the highest risk category.

Reactions: Donna K.

The Outlaw

Reaction score
I hear you, Outlaw. That's all we can do at this point. My husband and I are in the highest risk category.
It was more than a given a second wave was going to occur. And it has more to do with than just state re openings and the Memorial Day Holiday on top of the protests. I'll admit I don't wear a mask that often, but I social distance myself as much as possible. And wash my hands like crazy. But there are just peeps out there that just don't observe any of it because they're still not buying it. Even now.

I had a guy get too close to me yesterday that I wanted to tell to back off. I saw a guy about a month and a half ago coughing his head off in a crowder grocery store in close quarters with a lot of other people that just didn't cover his mouth. I wish I could self quarantine until this thing blows over but I don't have a choice. It wasn't the most pleasant feeling to me at first but I've just gotten used to it.

OP
Debi

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
It was more than a given a second wave was going to occur. And it has more to do with than just state re openings and the Memorial Day Holiday on top of the protests. I'll admit I don't wear a mask that often, but I social distance myself as much as possible. And wash my hands like crazy. But there are just peeps out there that just don't observe any of it because they're still not buying it. Even now.

I had a guy get too close to me yesterday that I wanted to tell to back off. I saw a guy about a month and a half ago coughing his head off in a crowder grocery store in close quarters with a lot of other people that just didn't cover his mouth. I wish I could self quarantine until this thing blows over but I don't have a choice. It wasn't the most pleasant feeling to me at first but I've just gotten used to it.
We are doing our best to isolate. Hubs and I both have lung issues, over 65, and on oxygen. But we have our great nephew who lives with us and our adult son. Adult son goes out to do grocery pick ups, etc. and is OCD about germs to begin with so he's very careful and HAS told people to back off. Our nephew is 20 and has been isolating until this week. We have to let him back out into the world at this point, so we are trying to do this with two ends of the house...one for us and one for them. They have their own entrance and bathroom, and we will try to not be in the kitchen at the same time. Lots of Lysol like products shall be used. It's a difficult thing for all, but we're a bit short on choices.

The Outlaw

Reaction score
And these projected numbers will only further increase via the protests. No way everyone is taking precautions. Not trying to hijack but all emphasis has been put on them and they almost treat COVID-19 as if it's done.

OP
Debi

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
And these projected numbers will only further increase via the protests. No way everyone is taking precautions. Not trying to hijack but all emphasis has been put on them and they almost treat COVID-19 as if it's done.
Many people, besides the protesters, are treating it as such. BTW, you are new to us, so as a reminder to everyone, we don't do politics or social issues here on the forum, so let's just say any large group/gathering runs a very high risk of furthering the infection spread. (Consider us the Star Trek Neutral Zone...:))

OP
Debi

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Thanks goes to jadamz for sharing this.

RETIRED SURGEON Sam Laucks, has this to say about wearing masks:
“OK, here’s my rant about masks:
I have spent the past 39 years working in the field of surgery. For a significant part of that time, I have worn a mask. I have worked with hundreds (probably thousands) of colleagues during those years, who have also worn masks. Not a single one us of became ill, passed out or died from lack of oxygen. Not a single one of us became ill, passed out or died from breathing too much carbon dioxide. Not a single one us of became ill, passed out or died from rebreathing a little of our own exhaled air. Let’s begin here by putting those scare tactics to rest!
(It is true that some people, with advanced lung diseases, may be so fragile that a mask could make their already-tenuous breathing more difficult. If your lungs are that bad, you probably shouldn’t be going out in public at the present time anyway; the consequences if you are exposed to Covid-19 would likely be devastating.)
“But”, you ask, “can’t viruses go right through the mask, because they are so small?” (“Masks keep viruses out just as well as a chain link fence keeps mosquitoes out,” some tell us.) It is true that individual virus particles can pass through the pores of a mask; however, viruses don’t move on their own. They do not fly across the room like a mosquito, wiggle through your mask like a worm, or fly up your nose like a gnat. The virus is essentially nothing more than a tiny blob of genetic material. Covid-19 travels in a CARRIER – the carrier is a fluid droplet- fluid droplets that you expel when you cough, sneeze, sing, laugh, talk or simply exhale. Most of your fluid droplets will be stopped from entering the air in the room if you are wearing a mask. Wearing a mask is a very efficient way to protect others if you are carrying the virus (even if you don’t know that you are infected). In addition, if someone else’s fluid droplets happen to land on your mask, many of them will not pass through. This gives the wearer some additional protection, too. But, the main reason to wear a mask is to PROTECT OTHERS. Even if you don’t care about yourself, wear your mask to protect your neighbors, co-workers and friends!
A mask is certainly not 100% protective. However, it appears that the severity of Covid-19 infection is at least partially “dose-dependent.” In other words, the more virus particles that enter your body, the sicker you are likely to become. Why not decrease that volume if you can? “What have you got to lose?!”
“But doesn’t a requirement or a request to wear a mask violate my constitutional rights?” You’re also not allowed to go into the grocery store if you are not wearing pants. You can’t yell “fire” in the Produce Department. You’re not allowed to urinate on the floor in the Frozen Food Section. Do you object to those restrictions? Rules, established for the common good, are component of a civilized society.
“But aren’t masks uncomfortable?” Some would say that underwear or shoes can be uncomfortable, but we still wear them. (Actually, being on a ventilator is pretty darned uncomfortable, too!) Are masks really so bad that you can’t tolerate them, even if they will help keep others healthy?
“But won’t people think I’m a snowflake or a wimp if I wear a mask?” I hope you have enough self-confidence to overcome that.
“But won’t I look stupid if I wear a mask?” I’ve decided not to dignify that question with an answer!!
:)
“But I never get sick; I’m not worried.” Well, then, wear a mask for the sake of the rest of us who are not so perfect!
There is good evidence that masks make a real difference in diminishing the transmission of Covid-19. Please, for the sake of others (and for the sake of yourself), wear your mask when in public. It won’t kill you!
P.S. - And, by the way, please be sure that BOTH your nose and mouth are covered!
Recommendations around mask usage are confusing. The science isn't. Evidence shows that masks are extremely effective to slow the coronavirus and may be the best tool available right now to fight it.”
Thank you, Sam Laucks!!
I'd like to add those working in retail and other public facing jobs could really use our help in keeping them protected by wearing masks. Turn about is fair play!!