COVID-19 Information updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember this? Wellllll.....oopsie. As I said following that headline, you really had to read the wording carefully. Seems the CDC decided they needed to clear that wording up.

CDC warns it 'may be possible' for coronavirus to spread on surfaces, in new shift

In fairness to the CDC, I think a lot of the confusion was the fault of the various news services who wrote poorly worded byline story titles. I read the entire press release last week and understood the virus "does not spread easily” by “touching surfaces or objects" did not mean it couldn't happen. If people read just the byline titles of the various news reports, including the one I unfortunately cut and pasted here, they came away with a totally different understanding.

In fairness to the CDC, I think a lot of the confusion was the fault of the various news services who wrote poorly worded byline story titles. I read the entire press release last week and understood the virus "does not spread easily” by “touching surfaces or objects" did not mean it couldn't happen. If people read just the byline titles of the various news reports, including the one I unfortunately cut and pasted here, they came away with a totally different understanding.
I agree with you, which was why at the time I made note of what it really said. Unfortunately, people often just read the headlines, which are often misleading! It also makes you wonder just how much reading the press actually does of the statements issued.

Reactions: Donna K. and Benway
I agree with you, which was why at the time I made note of what it really said. Unfortunately, people often just read the headlines, which are often misleading! It also makes you wonder just how much reading the press actually does of the statements issued.

The corollary to this is people will read/hear what they want to read/hear from news stories. The local newspaper and TV stations all did stories where they interviewed patrons returning to various bars and restaurants reopened last week. I couldn't decide if I felt sorry for or was angry at those who voiced the "it's all over, back to normal" opinions. As you would expect, none of them wore masks or seemed worried about keeping their distance from others.

The corollary to this is people will read/hear what they want to read/hear from news stories. The local newspaper and TV stations all did stories where they interviewed patrons returning to various bars and restaurants reopened last week. I couldn't decide if I felt sorry for or was angry at those who voiced the "it's all over, back to normal" opinions. As you would expect, none of them wore masks or seemed worried about keeping their distance from others.
Well, just was watching the news here, and as we have been "opening up" for two weeks and much of what you describe is happening, Dr. Dunkle of the Covid 19 hospital here in the county reports a decided "uptick" in cases already. As he put it, "We still have room in our Covid ICU for you if you prefer to take those risks and not follow the guidelines."

Well, just was watching the news here, and as we have been "opening up" for two weeks and much of what you describe is happening, Dr. Dunkle of the Covid 19 hospital here in the county reports a decided "uptick" in cases already. As he put it, "We still have room in our Covid ICU for you if you prefer to take those risks and not follow the guidelines."

Years ago I listened to a curmudgeon radio talk show host on KMOX out of St Louis by the name of Jim White. His favorite expression was, "You can't fix stupid."

Status
Not open for further replies.