COVID-19 Information updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that in the end, we will nearly all catch this sooner or later. The thing is that recognizing it earlier and advancing understanding of the best treatment will be important. it will be a long time before they have a working vaccine and enough made to cover us all. It may be that eventually most of the world will be at least partially immune to it. This is part of what they think happened to the plagues. It killed so many that the survivors were no longer so easily infected.

We need to go back to work. Texas is opening back up on May the First. We are not as urbanized as the New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Detroit areas even in our big cities. More and more this is seeming to be an extreme urban epidemic than a general pandemic. China is going back to work now and if the numbers are not lies they are over the hump and beginning to beat it.

Reactions: Lynne
I just did a bit of a number crunch and was starting to look depressing but I was surprised at the result.
60,000 dead in the US but an estimate of only 3% infected so far. If everyone gets it eventually you could be looking at losing 5.8 Million people this year. If this death rate continues then everyone could be dead in....... 57 years! - Providing nobody has any children or gains immunity.

In the year 1800, there were less than 5.8 million people in the US- IN TOTAL.

Maybe this is Earth just adjusting the balance a bit. Time to take stock of who we are and what we want to achieve on this planet.

Here's How Scientists and Public-Health Experts Recommend the U.S. Gets Back to 'Normal'

There will be lots of opinions by lots of "experts," but what's presented here seems to be practical and based in common sense. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Good article and an approach I think makes the best medical sense.
The problem I see is people thinking they can just flip the switch and resume where we left off when the stay at home orders are lifted. I hope people actually get their minds wrapped around the fact things have changed and we need to do this with a cautious approach.

‘False Dawn’ Recovery Haunts Virus Survivors Who Fall Sick Again

I hear a lot of talk about "herd immunity." Little problem....we don't know if that immunity lasts more than a few weeks.

From the article:

Herd Immunity
There’s consensus that so-called herd immunity is key to ending the pandemic, but with a vaccine unlikely to be widely available this year, it will depend on factors such as how long people who’ve recovered have immunity and what percentage of people must be immune to protect the “herd.”

Catching Covid-19 May Not Protect You Against New Infection

There’s “a lot of unknowns and uncertainty in the development of individual immunity,” said Kentaro Iwata, a professor of infectious diseases at Japan’s Kobe University. “Development of antibody inside the body is not necessarily development of immunity against this disease.”

The unknowns concerning infectiousness, immunity and lingering symptoms create frustrating dilemmas.

Reactions: Benway
‘False Dawn’ Recovery Haunts Virus Survivors Who Fall Sick Again

I hear a lot of talk about "herd immunity." Little problem....we don't know if that immunity lasts more than a few weeks.

From the article:

Herd Immunity
There’s consensus that so-called herd immunity is key to ending the pandemic, but with a vaccine unlikely to be widely available this year, it will depend on factors such as how long people who’ve recovered have immunity and what percentage of people must be immune to protect the “herd.”

Catching Covid-19 May Not Protect You Against New Infection

There’s “a lot of unknowns and uncertainty in the development of individual immunity,” said Kentaro Iwata, a professor of infectious diseases at Japan’s Kobe University. “Development of antibody inside the body is not necessarily development of immunity against this disease.”

The unknowns concerning infectiousness, immunity and lingering symptoms create frustrating dilemmas.
Unfortunately I think we have to face the fact that , that is all we can do right now, we can't keep the country shut down. Sadly ppl are facing eviction and repossessions if they can't get back to work, and banks and landlords aren't going to work with them long term....this is a really hard situation right now and this reopening this early actually shows just how clueless we currently are....this virus has also mutated into quite a few different strains so getting a vaccine is gonna be similar to the flu, is it the right one, and even then may not be 100% effective....i dunno, we are in uncharted territory here and its shows just how much with the actions being taken.

Unfortunately I think we have to face the fact that , that is all we can do right now, we can't keep the country shut down. Sadly ppl are facing eviction and repossessions if they can't get back to work, and banks and landlords aren't going to work with them long term....this is a really hard situation right now and this reopening this early actually shows just how clueless we currently are....this virus has also mutated into quite a few different strains so getting a vaccine is gonna be similar to the flu, is it the right one, and even then may not be 100% effective....i dunno, we are in uncharted territory here and its shows just how much with the actions being taken.
I totally get that part, Paul. What I'm trying to point out here is how much we don't know yet because many people have the mindset that they can just flip a switch when lock down is lifted and go back to a totally "normal" world as it was.

For some in very rural areas, this may be true. But in the larger metro areas, social distancing is still gonna be in play.

Reactions: Benway and Paulm
Status
Not open for further replies.