COVID-19 Information updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Covid is hitting the African American, Hispanic, Native American and all communities very hard. But why? What factor in our blood allows this virus to take effect? I have read that Type A blood is one of the leading groups for covid deaths. While all of us are vulnerable some are more so than others. This article is heart breaking and disturbing too. A vaccine cant come soon enough

Covid is hitting the African American, Hispanic, Native American and all communities very hard. But why? What factor in our blood allows this virus to take effect? I have read that Type A blood is one of the leading groups for covid deaths. While all of us are vulnerable some are more so than others. This article is heart breaking and disturbing too. A vaccine cant come soon enough

We have known for awhile now about Type A blood being most vulnerable and Type O least to this awful virus. We simply haven't figured out why yet. Could be anything from coagulation factors to antigens...blood is a complex thing. It could be a full out genetic issue that the virus targets. I have type A neg so I've been keeping up on this a bit as pretty much my entire family is this blood type.

Just as it is known that it kills more elderly, those of the communities you name have a higher rate of bad outcome. And because this virus is so new to us, we don't really understand yet why. There are several theories floating around but none proven just yet.

I've lost people in my circle of friends to this killer and I've seen the impact on their children. Heartbreaking story about that little boy.

Be very careful shopping right now!

Excerpt:

“We did a deep dive in our contact tracing for the week of November the 10th through the 16th and found that 55% of the positives were coming from shopping at large retailers, what we’d term as the big box stores,” Margo said. “And those are considered essential under CISA guidelines under homeland security. And we don’t really have- I don’t have any control over any limitations there.”

He said the city asked retailers like Walmart for “voluntary limitations” regarding occupancy.

The following is from Dr. Samuel Laucks of the WellSpan medical system in Pennsylvania.
I have spent the past 39 years working in the field of surgery. For a significant part of that time, I have worn a mask. I have worked with hundreds (probably thousands) of colleagues during those years, who have also worn masks. Not a single one us of became ill, passed out or died from lack of oxygen. Not a single one of us became ill, passed out or died from breathing too much carbon dioxide. Not a single one us of became ill, passed out or died from rebreathing a little of our own exhaled air. Let’s begin here by putting those scare tactics to rest!
(It is true that some people, with advanced lung diseases, may be so fragile that a mask could make their already-tenuous breathing more difficult. If your lungs are that bad, you probably shouldn’t be going out in public at the present time anyway; the consequences if you are exposed to Covid-19 would likely be devastating.)
“But”, you ask, “can’t viruses go right through the mask, because they are so small?” (“Masks keep viruses out just as well as a chain link fence keeps mosquitoes out,” some tell us.)
It is true that individual virus particles can pass through the pores of a mask; however, viruses don’t move on their own. They do not fly across the room like a mosquito, wiggle through your mask like a worm, or fly up your nose like a gnat. The virus is essentially nothing more than a tiny blob of genetic material. Covid-19 travels in a CARRIER – the carrier is a fluid droplet- fluid droplets that you expel when you cough, sneeze, sing, laugh, talk or simply exhale. Most of your fluid droplets will be stopped from entering the air in the room if you are wearing a mask. Wearing a mask is a very efficient way to protect others if you are carrying the virus (even if you don’t know that you are infected). In addition, if someone else’s fluid droplets happen to land on your mask, many of them will not pass through. This gives the wearer some additional protection, too. But, the main reason to wear a mask is to PROTECT OTHERS. Even if you don’t care about yourself, wear your mask to protect your neighbors, co-workers and friends!
A mask is certainly not 100% protective. However, it appears that the severity of Covid-19 infection is at least partially “dose-dependent.” In other words, the more virus particles that enter your body, the sicker you are likely to become. Why not decrease that volume if you can? “What have you got to lose?!”
“But doesn’t a requirement or a request to wear a mask violate my constitutional rights?” You’re also not allowed to go into the grocery store if you are not wearing pants. You can’t yell “fire” in the Produce Department. You’re not allowed to urinate on the floor in the Frozen Food Section. Do you object to those restrictions? Rules, established for the common good, are component of a civilized society.
“But aren’t masks uncomfortable?” Some would say that underwear or shoes can be uncomfortable, but we still wear them. (Actually, being on a ventilator is pretty darned uncomfortable, too!) Are masks really so bad that you can’t tolerate them, even if they will help keep others healthy?
“But won’t people think I’m a snowflake or a wimp if I wear a mask?” I hope you have enough self-confidence to overcome that.
“But won’t I look stupid if I wear a mask?” I’ve decided not to dignify that question with an answer!!
“But I never get sick; I’m not worried.” Well, then, wear a mask for the sake of the rest of us who are not so perfect!
There is good evidence that masks make a real difference in diminishing the transmission of Covid-19. Please, for the sake of others (and for the sake of yourself), wear your mask when in public. It won’t kill you!
P.S. – And, by the way, please be sure that BOTH your nose and mouth are covered! Recommendations around mask usage are confusing. The science isn’t. Evidence shows that masks are extremely effective to slow the coronavirus and may be the best tool available right now to fight it.
(This originally appeared on the website of WellSpan Health.)

My local hospital is now on diversion.

Two more hospitals here are now on diversion. It's getting bad fast.

From my local news:

Several hospitals in Central Indiana are reaching capacity and at times, having to divert emergency patients.

It has happened at Community Health Network hospitals and Franciscan Health hospitals in Marion County as well as at Johnson Memorial Health in Johnson County.

Status
Not open for further replies.