Could you....

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
89114043_2942958089075480_3435163363586342912_n.png

Reactions: garnetsilver
I think I could do that without too much of a fuss....there are a lot of conveniences at our disposal now, but it seems to have made an " I want it now" mentality in most ppl…..seems few ppl anymore know what its like to actually put in the time for something.

I think I could do that without too much of a fuss....there are a lot of conveniences at our disposal now, but it seems to have made an " I want it now" mentality in most ppl…..seems few ppl anymore know what its like to actually put in the time for something.
Come to think of it, those things that I mentioned could fall into that " want it now" category. It was nice to anticipate a package or phone call, or to walk into an old fashioned bank and be greeted by the tellers.

Reactions: Paulm
I don't have a smart phone so I wouldn't care about that and a lot of other things too. I do need the internet to make a living though.

If you need to it wouldn't be as hard as you think. I have actually done something like that several times. In 1980 I returned to the fifties as far as lifestyle. Also, we used to turn off and unplug the TV for a month every year and visit the old days when people played games and did things like picnic. We had campfires and would stargaze in the night instead of sitting in front of the box.

My daughter was born in 1980. I believe that the first four years of a child's life are critical in the development of the brain, many of their attitudes and the development of the personality. In daycare children, especially babies and toddlers, are just sort of stored. My wife and I wanted my daughter to have human contact and personal attention that was the way it used to be. When we told everybody that she was going to stop working when the baby came everybody told us that we just couldn't do it. They felt like there was no way to support a family in a 1980s lifestyle with one income.

I had a good job but nonetheless losing her income would require so "adjustments". Basically we looked at the lifestyle that our parents had when we were born and used that as a model. We parked one of the cars most of the time. We canceled the cable TV. She cooked every night and our primary entertainments were things like playing cards, reading, and such. things that didn't cost much money. I fished a lot and that provided a lot of meals. We ate good but fairly simple meals and only ate out once a month. We were active in church and we spent a lot of time with our parents. It worked amazingly well and we were very happy. My daughter, because she received a lot of personal attention, was never a clingy kid. On her first day of school, she was ready to go and if she had her way I would have just tossed her out at the front door. I am very proud of the lady that she grew into and she is a very successful person.

The greatest honor of my life was when she married and they wanted to move to be next door to us so that their children could have the sort of old-time life she had had where parents and grandparents were active in their life. We get along great and when my Granddaughter was born they took my middle name and my wife's middle name and named her Danni Leigh. She and I are Danny and Danni. As I type this she is in the chair beside me. It is Springbreak so she is here. She went to a movie with my wife today. life is good...

In the early 80s the oil industry shit down and everyplace that I had ever worked for went out of business. The unemployment rate skyrocketed into the area of 35%. There were no jobs and tens of thousands of people in our area lost their homes. I was unemployed for a little over a year. We lived on a very low unemployment income and whatever sort of day-work that I could find. We turned off the AC, turned off the hot water heater, Bought all of my daughter's clothes at a flea market. We lived outside through most of that summer because the house was so hot. We kept our driving to a minimum and rode the storm for a year. We didn't lose our home. Surprisingly despite our near poverty level lifestyle that was a good year. I got to spend a lot of time with my little girl.

The adjustment when you first scale back is a little shocking but if you are willing to adapt you quickly find new ways and new pleasures and life can be good or even great. Those hard times pushed my family into a much tighter bond than we would have had otherwise. We each learned that we could depend on and lean on each other. I have no regrets.

LOL and again I wandered down memory lane with a long winded dissertation.

If you need to it wouldn't be as hard as you think. I have actually done something like that several times. In 1980 I returned to the fifties as far as lifestyle. Also, we used to turn off and unplug the TV for a month every year and visit the old days when people played games and did things like picnic. We had campfires and would stargaze in the night instead of sitting in front of the box.

My daughter was born in 1980. I believe that the first four years of a child's life are critical in the development of the brain, many of their attitudes and the development of the personality. In daycare children, especially babies and toddlers, are just sort of stored. My wife and I wanted my daughter to have human contact and personal attention that was the way it used to be. When we told everybody that she was going to stop working when the baby came everybody told us that we just couldn't do it. They felt like there was no way to support a family in a 1980s lifestyle with one income.

I had a good job but nonetheless losing her income would require so "adjustments". Basically we looked at the lifestyle that our parents had when we were born and used that as a model. We parked one of the cars most of the time. We canceled the cable TV. She cooked every night and our primary entertainments were things like playing cards, reading, and such. things that didn't cost much money. I fished a lot and that provided a lot of meals. We ate good but fairly simple meals and only ate out once a month. We were active in church and we spent a lot of time with our parents. It worked amazingly well and we were very happy. My daughter, because she received a lot of personal attention, was never a clingy kid. On her first day of school, she was ready to go and if she had her way I would have just tossed her out at the front door. I am very proud of the lady that she grew into and she is a very successful person.

The greatest honor of my life was when she married and they wanted to move to be next door to us so that their children could have the sort of old-time life she had had where parents and grandparents were active in their life. We get along great and when my Granddaughter was born they took my middle name and my wife's middle name and named her Danni Leigh. She and I are Danny and Danni. As I type this she is in the chair beside me. It is Springbreak so she is here. She went to a movie with my wife today. life is good...

In the early 80s the oil industry shit down and everyplace that I had ever worked for went out of business. The unemployment rate skyrocketed into the area of 35%. There were no jobs and tens of thousands of people in our area lost their homes. I was unemployed for a little over a year. We lived on a very low unemployment income and whatever sort of day-work that I could find. We turned off the AC, turned off the hot water heater, Bought all of my daughter's clothes at a flea market. We lived outside through most of that summer because the house was so hot. We kept our driving to a minimum and rode the storm for a year. We didn't lose our home. Surprisingly despite our near poverty level lifestyle that was a good year. I got to spend a lot of time with my little girl.

The adjustment when you first scale back is a little shocking but if you are willing to adapt you quickly find new ways and new pleasures and life can be good or even great. Those hard times pushed my family into a much tighter bond than we would have had otherwise. We each learned that we could depend on and lean on each other. I have no regrets.

I enjoyed that ramble down the lane. :)

Reactions: Lynne

Thank you for this. What a wonderful example of how to handle life. Well done Dan.

I love the convince of the Internet and smart phones. However I know I could adjust to a simpler life. I am happy with a book, knitting and my horse. I probably could go back far in time and be happy if it weren’t for the lack of indoor plumbing and medicine.