Could Nan Madol be Atlantis?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Could the island city of Nan Madol be Atlantis? - Unexplained Mysteries

Built on an island in the middle of the Pacific, this mysterious ancient city remains a modern-day enigma.
Famously documented by the Greek philosopher Plato, Atlantis was said to be a continent situated in the middle of the Atlantic that was inhabited by a highly advanced and prosperous civilization.

According to legend, the Atlanteans ultimately fell out of favor with the gods and the entire island was submerged beneath the waves. Real-world theories suggest that if Atlantis did exist, it may have been sunk by a tsunami, a sustained period of volcanism or some other ancient disaster.

More recently however, the peculiar island city of Nan Madol, which is situated thousands of miles from anywhere in the middle of the Pacific, has been attracting the attention of Atlantis hunters.

Dating back as far as 2,000 years, this mysterious city consists of several sections separated by tidal canals and is sheltered from the ocean by a series of 12 sea walls. The level of expertise exhibited in its construction, as well as its peculiar location, have been puzzling scientists for years.

"It now looks like Nan Madol represents a first in Pacific Island history," said Mark McCoy from Texas Southern Methodist University. "To me, in its prime Nan Madol was a capital."

"It was the seat of political power, the center of the most important religious rituals, and the place where the former chiefs of the island were laid to rest."

What do you think Atlantis really was? Was it extremely advanced like you see in futuristic descriptions or was it simply a slightly more advanced city of the times?

I think Atlantis existed. Being described as quite advanced for its time, it makes you wonder if it was the remnant of a much older civilization that inhabited Earth at one time. Or perhaps they were not from here? People who had the ability to travel to Earth would certainly be much more advanced than anything here at the time of Atlantis.

Reactions: Debi and Paulm
This place is so mysterious and interesting. I hope it gets fully explored.

Reactions: Paulm
Could the island city of Nan Madol be Atlantis? - Unexplained Mysteries

Built on an island in the middle of the Pacific, this mysterious ancient city remains a modern-day enigma.
Famously documented by the Greek philosopher Plato, Atlantis was said to be a continent situated in the middle of the Atlantic that was inhabited by a highly advanced and prosperous civilization.

According to legend, the Atlanteans ultimately fell out of favor with the gods and the entire island was submerged beneath the waves. Real-world theories suggest that if Atlantis did exist, it may have been sunk by a tsunami, a sustained period of volcanism or some other ancient disaster.

More recently however, the peculiar island city of Nan Madol, which is situated thousands of miles from anywhere in the middle of the Pacific, has been attracting the attention of Atlantis hunters.

Dating back as far as 2,000 years, this mysterious city consists of several sections separated by tidal canals and is sheltered from the ocean by a series of 12 sea walls. The level of expertise exhibited in its construction, as well as its peculiar location, have been puzzling scientists for years.

"It now looks like Nan Madol represents a first in Pacific Island history," said Mark McCoy from Texas Southern Methodist University. "To me, in its prime Nan Madol was a capital."

"It was the seat of political power, the center of the most important religious rituals, and the place where the former chiefs of the island were laid to rest."

I've always felt Atlantis was in the Atlantic area-i believe strongly that the Bimini Road is part of Atlantis but I'm sure the remains cover a large area.Perhaps Nan Madol is more connected to Lemuria? Who knows.

Reactions: Lynne and Benway
I've always felt Atlantis was in the Atlantic area-i believe strongly that the Bimini Road is part of Atlantis but I'm sure the remains cover a large area.Perhaps Nan Madol is more connected to Lemuria? Who knows.
Not without reason! It is after all Atlantis, not Pacificis and as you say, that would be Lemuria. All we have to go on with Atlantis is Plato and assuming there was some factual basis to his fable then it's a great big land mass beyond the Straits of Gibraltar (the 'Pillars of Heracles'), so across the Atlantic. My current thinking is that you guys should all stop looking for Atlantis because you live on it!

It casts things in a different light if prehistoric Europe fought prehistoric America thousands of years ago.. There are native American flood legends...

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi