Cooking Disasters

Ask me for the number one reason not to store a fully cooked beef roast in the microwave overnight.

Reactions: Paintman
Bacon.

That was a high end recipe my friends turned their noses up to until those little brown mushy nuggets came out of the oven. Actually AWESOME. That is the only gem in this entire list Duke. Bacon wrapped bananas with dash of Tabasco.

Reactions: Benway
Bacon.

That was a high end recipe my friends turned their noses up to until those little brown mushy nuggets came out of the oven. Actually AWESOME. That is the only gem in this entire list Duke. Bacon wrapped bananas with dash of Tabasco.

Reminds me of "the hook" in the Reese's Cup commercial from several years back, "Two great tastes that taste great together." Change it to "three" and you're in business.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
I don't have too many cooking disasters, mostly because I get a little paranoid when I cook and double check everything. I have a reoccurring vision of grabbing the wrong ingredient and serving a nice fresh batch of homemade cuminrolls.

However I do have one that happened a few months ago when I was visiting my Sister in California.

Back in December she was out with some friends at the club and somehow managed to trip standing up from a barstool, fall and break both her legs. So while visiting her I offered to do a lot of cooking and cleaning.

We had planned a small family dinner with my broken leg sister, her roommate, another sister along with my niece and two nephews. The meal prep started with firing up the grill for some tri-tip. I then dice some potatoes and tossed them with olive oil and herbs then put them in the oven to roast. The last dish to prepare was the fried brussel sprouts, I cut each one into four spears then toss them in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper the fry them in a pan until they're crispy.

Every one was talking and laughing and it was just a nice family get together. The only issue I ran into was that I ran out of olive oil making my roasted potatoes. Fortunately I found another open bottle of olive oil in the pantry for the brussel sprouts. I normally would have given my sister a hard time for having two open bottles of the same ingredient but I gave her a pass for the two broken legs.

As I was mixing the raw sprouts something seemed off, the sprouts had almost a sweet smell to them. But there was a lot of other people going in and out of the kitchen and I figured I was just smelling someone's drink or snack from across the room, I have a good sense of smell so I do sometimes get combined odors that way. As I started frying the sprouts the sweet smell got a bit stronger and there was another odor that I couldn't place, it was almost like basil but I knew that wasn't it. I also noticed that the pan getting black and sticky like something was burning, which was also unusual because I've been frying brussel sprouts for years and never burned the oil. I tried a few sprouts and they had that same sweet basil taste that I couldn't identify. It didn't taste right but it also didn't taste like something had gone bad or rancid so I continued frying the sprouts.

As I was finishing the last few brussel sprouts my sister's roommate came over with a look of concern and asked if I had used olive oil in anything. I said yes and his eyes went a bid wider and asked which olive oil I used. I showed him the bottle and he turns to my sister who also has that wide eyes look of concern. My sister asked how much I had used and that's when I figured out the smell and the reason she had two open bottles of olive oil. One was plain olive oil and the other was olive oil infused with marijuana oil.

What followed was a cacophony of conversation with everyone talking over each other. My one sister talking about having medicinal uses and her broken legs, my other sister talking about why things like that need labels because she has cooked in that same kitchen and used olive oil a dozen times, the roommate laughing hysterically and me telling the kids that they were not allowed to eat any vegetables.