Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

WE TALK A LOT ABOUT FOOD AROUND HERE!
NOW, THE QUESTIONS ARE:
DO YOU LIKE TO COOK?
WOULD YOU PREFER SOMEONE COOKS FOR YOU?
DO YOU FOLLOW A RECIPE OR JUST GO WITH YOUR INSTINCTS?
DO YOU WATCH COOKING SHOWS?
HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU SEEN A RECIPE AND ACTUALLY TRIED MAKING IT?
GOT A FAVORITE CHEF?

240760171_2912770822317040_4070728954984267133_n.jpg

I enjoy cooking.

I was raised with the knowledge of how to cook and prepare meals from the age of 11 - all of us were - by our step mum. My brother actually went on to become a Head Chef, and I spent a bit of time with him during the early years of his career, in his kitchen.

I do not generally use recipes, but will do if I come across something that I want to try out - especially if it is a dessert.

I actually like watching Gordon Ramsey - even if he is a bit 'pig-headed' and rude to people at times - especially in the 'Kitchen Nightmares' series :)

I learned to cook around age twelve, and do love it. Now Mr. Garnet does most of it, but I like digging up recipes for us to try. I do recipes, but often find a way of improving on the original one. Whenever we get into a rut, I hunt for new things to try!

I learned to cook on the fly when I moved into an apartment after I graduated. I also took a cooking course at a local community college, it was more like home economics for bachelors and divorcees.

The only cooking show I've ever watched was called "Ready, Steady, Cook." I got hooked on it in the UK in the 90s. The concept was two chefs were given a bag of groceries picked randomly (up to some monetary value) by audience members. The chefs had no idea what was in those bags until time to prepare a meal. With the assistance of the audience member who bought the groceries, each chef (who had access to a "fully stocked pantry") then had twenty minutes to prepare a meal. There were some very creative combinations.

The show was very entertaining, especially up front watching the chefs' expressions when they saw that they had to work with. The host of the show was also comical, and apparently had a healthy appetite.

I learned to cook on the fly when I moved into an apartment after I graduated. I also took a cooking course at a local community college, it was more like home economics for bachelors and divorcees.

The only cooking show I've ever watched was called "Ready, Steady, Cook." I got hooked on it in the UK in the 90s. The concept was two chefs were given a bag of groceries picked randomly (up to some monetary value) by audience members. The chefs had no idea what was in those bags until time to prepare a meal. With the assistance of the audience member who bought the groceries, each chef (who had access to a "fully stocked pantry") then had twenty minutes to prepare a meal. There were some very creative combinations.

The show was very entertaining, especially up front watching the chefs' expressions when they saw that they had to work with. The host of the show was also comical, and apparently had a healthy appetite.

That same premise is now used by "Chopped". A basket of strange food and they have to make a meal.

I enjoy cooking. I learned at the knee of my great aunt, who was an amazing cook, and my dad, who was an Air Force cook when he was young. Dad could cook anything- as long as it was for a hundred people, lol.
I am a much better cook than my first wife (couldn't cook at all) as well as the current Mrs. GWU (tries hard, she has a few nice dishes).

What made it click for me was the realization that the kitchen was just another workshop. Learn your tools, learn your materials, the rest falls into place.

I enjoyed some cooking shows though I don't watch them much anymore due to other priorities, Cutthroat Kitchen was a favorite, Chopped as well. I had a nightmare once that I was on Chopped, and my basket contained broken glass, roofing nails, gravel, and porcini mushrooms. Can't recall what I made from that, lol.
I also enjoy Hell's Kitchen (never missed a season) but that isn't really a cooking show, it's a reality show/contest with lots of drama. I really enjoyed Master Chef Canada, much more than the American version.

I can cook from scratch, make it up on the fly and know it will be tasty, I don't think I've followed a recipe to the letter in decades. My biggest gripe with other cooks is the tendency to overcook & over-season.

I....don't like cooking. I also dislike food shopping intensely. I dread the weekly food shop and feel like a rabbit in the headlights in a supermarket, just overwhelmed by all the choice.

However, I do love food and eating it! So I kind of manage. I've learned how to cook a couple of things really well. I do a good chilli from scratch, a nice pasta sauce and one or two other things, similarly from scratch, so I can get by.

However, if I'm feeling lazy or genuinely baffled by the whole what-to-have-for-dinner thing, then I admit that I resort to the odd ready-meal, take-away or dinner out with friends at a nice restaurant.