Welcome to the Official Paranormal Forum
Join today to discuss Paranormal experiences or participate in conversations covering True Ghost Stories, Cryptozoology, UFOs & Aliens, and much more.

Composting people

Rowan2222

Reaction score
A company called "Recompose" is trialling a method to turn dead people into fresh compost instead of sticking them in a hole in the ground or burning to ash. They said it produces a tonne less CO2 per person and is more enviromentally friendly.

The process involves placing the body in a container along with woodchips and alfalfa meal, and in about 30 days (of slow rotation) it produces a material similar to compost.
So far the trials using 6 people have been successful (they gave consent while alive), apart from their bones which remained whole. The company said they were working on that which I presume means putting them through a wood chipper at some point or a meat grinder - either prospect I think is horrific, but maybe not as horrific as stuffing aunt Mable into the wood chipper to start with.

During trials with the 6 humans, CEO of Recompose Katrina Spade...... (you couldn't make it up could you) told the BBC 'We all kept checking in on each other. My physiology felt different, I wasn't sleeping well for a few nights, I wasn't hungry - it was a distress response,' - I think she meant she felt sick at the prospect of opening that thing.

Still, being turned into compost with a few handfuls of bonemeal could be a better solution - as long as you don't mind finding a few teeth in your potting mix.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman

Lynne

Art Bell fan
Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
This just shows how society is devaluing life. Showing respect for the body reflects how we feel about the living. That is a disgusting idea. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Paintman
OP
Rowan2222

Rowan2222

Reaction score
This just shows how society is devaluing life. Showing respect for the body reflects how we feel about the living. That is a disgusting idea. Just my opinion.
Well I certainly wouldn't want to be running the thing. Even after it's finished you will still have 4 or so large bags of 'compost' to dispose of and then what - grow your tomatoes in it?

I suppose if you were a keen gardener you could be put back in your own greenhouse and legally interred there. I wouldn't mind haunting a greenhouse.

Reactions: Lynne