Companies Founded in the Last Ten Years You Cannot Live Without

Me too. I have a pocket planner that fits in my shirt pocket.

20200110_164457.jpg

I've used these watch band calendars since the mid 80s. I'd be lost without them.

Thumbs up to calendars. One for work, 1 for bills...
If something's really important I put a note on the refrigerator door.:)
U.Thule, what are slack like tools?

Reactions: garnetsilver
One app I'm surprised no one has developed, at least to my knowledge, is an internet version of the "ride board" that appeared in every college dorm and student union back in the day. Call it something like "Going My Way," it would allow people driving to some location to share a ride with someone needing to go to the same location, or at least same direction.

Yes, there would be a potential danger of pairing up with some wackjob, but that's happening with Lyft/Uber and supposedly their drivers are vetted. I still have a friend who I met back in 1978 when he rode with me after I saw his 3x5 "need a ride" card on a school bulletin board.

Doable, but lots of details to work out.

Modern conveniences are nice. Old ways are comforting. I still remember my Mom hanging clothes outside, even in the winter. We had a clothes dryer, and she did use it, but for sheets and towels and big stuff, nothing smells better than clothes dried outside.

Slack combines messaging, file sharing, conference calling, and collaboration. I use an integrated combination of different tools at work to achieve the same result.

Sounds similar to WebEx. We used that back ten or so years ago with participants across the US and UK. The damn thing reminded me of the "Cone of Silence" from "Get Smart," it never seemed to work. I got so fed up I banned it from our team conference calls.

Reactions: garnetsilver
Sounds similar to WebEx.
Yes, it's a bit clunky and was often a hassle to get setup. Skype is now popular as it's integrated with the ubiquitous Microsoft Office suites and servers. There are many others now too.

One app I'm surprised no one has developed, at least to my knowledge, is an internet version of the "ride board" that appeared in every college dorm and student union back in the day. Call it something like "Going My Way," it would allow people driving to some location to share a ride with someone needing to go to the same location, or at least same direction.

Yes, there would be a potential danger of pairing up with some wackjob, but that's happening with Lyft/Uber and supposedly their drivers are vetted. I still have a friend who I met back in 1978 when he rode with me after I saw his 3x5 "need a ride" card on a school bulletin board.

Doable, but lots of details to work out.
I used to use uber all the time now I only use it when I need it. Last 5 times they've been a little.... too quiet. Like some uber driver left me a nasty review or something.