Churches Changing Name to Draw in New Members

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score

The article discusses a Baptist church, but other denominations are doing the same thing. I'm not picking on or criticizing any faith, but I am curious as to how others feel about this.

I have two friends, one of them a youth pastor, whose churches have changed their names to conceal their denominational affiliations. The youth pastor was very upfront about concealing their denomination, it was to get people in the door (and consequently raise more money through donations) by passing themselves off as more of a nondenominational church. They believed many of those would stay after being made to feel welcome despite eventually revealing the denomination. So far this has worked for both churches.

What I find particularly amusing about this is the names these churches are taking. Many sound like the 1980s gimmick of FM radio stations naming themselves....the Light, the Hope, the Heart, the Message, etc.

Ok, it's none of our businesses what churches other than our own do, but what's your take on this practice? Would you object if your church wanted to do this?

The article discusses a Baptist church, but other denominations are doing the same thing. I'm not picking on or criticizing any faith, but I am curious as to how others feel about this.

I have two friends, one of them a youth pastor, whose churches have changed their names to conceal their denominational affiliations. The youth pastor was very upfront about concealing their denomination, it was to get people in the door (and consequently raise more money through donations) by passing themselves off as a more of a nondenominational church. They believed many of those would stay after being made to feel welcome despite eventually revealing the denomination. So far this has worked for both churches.

What I find particularly amusing about this is the names these churches are taking. Many sound like the 1980s gimmick of FM radio stations naming themselves....the Light, the Hope, the Heart, the Message, etc.

Ok, it's none of our businesses what churches other than our own do, but what's your take on this practice? Would you object if your church wanted to do this?
Actually, I would object. I think most churches have their doctrines written out pretty clearly and people should know what those are walking in the front door. I also find this deceptive and a church should be transparent. I know it's happening out there and I've seen it discussed on a group of clergy that I follow online. Just my personal opinion, btw.

Actually, I would object. I think most churches have their doctrines written out pretty clearly and people should know what those are walking in the front door. I also find this deceptive and a church should be transparent. I know it's happening out there and I've seen it discussed on a group of clergy that I follow online. Just my personal opinion, btw.
I feel the same way. People should know up front, what the church they are considering joining, stands for.

I think it's always sad to see divisions in churches. And I read recently that there was trouble at the Southern Baptist convention. But I agree with Debbie but they should be up front with name changes.

On a lighter note I go to St. Edwards. What is odd is no one seems to know which of the two St Edwards it's named after !

I would object. isn't that being, kinda, sorta, deceitful. or sneaky at the least... telling a half truth is just one step away from a lie. or something like that...lol... trying to justify something by twisting the narrative to fit your needs is not the proper way of going about it. and church is where you expect honesty from the leaders.
when leaders of an organization are not up front with a trusting following who are seeking learning and help, it becomes the setting of a cult and opens the door for said leaders to take advantage of their followers. power corrupts, one lie becomes many etc....
i will stop here. lol.

Woo Hoo! You can either survive or thrive. Churches are a business and they require a steady flow of clients.