Childhood TV

We had some pretty good local kids shows on WGN in Chicago. Ray Rayner did a Morning Show and think of it as Good Morning America for Little Tikes. Sports and weather and school closings and pets segments. Cartoons and the guy from the Lincoln Park Zoo showing off exotic animals.
6ek627-ray-rayner.jpg

Patchy I was also born during the summer of love and I remember every single one of those shows.:p
Duke, The Niel Armstrong......?

Yes, he taught at the University of Cincinnati in the 70s. I had him in three or four classes, including Flight Testing and Flight Mechanics. Good teacher, tough tests.

Yes, he taught at the University of Cincinnati in the 70s. I had him in three or four classes, including Flight Testing and Flight Mechanics. Good teacher, tough tests.

You met Neil Armstrong? I'm so impressed...

Flight testing and flight mechanics, who are you?

Pratchy I was also born during the summer of love and I remember every single one of those shows.:p
Duke, The Niel Armstrong......?
I wonder if you ever came across Prince Planet. It was a black and white cartoon ,Japanese, & bundled with Clutch Cargo.
Paintman, Prince Planet is one I’ve never heard of. Looks entertaining though.

Reactions: Paintman
I was on kid's TV! :p Not as a presenter, but in a thing on Saturday morning British show Get Fresh in the 80s. I was eleven years old. It was visiting my town and there was a fancy dress segment, so I was wearing half a football with cardboard horns in a fenced off bit with other dressed up kids all morning. Next to a fake spaceship. It was great. I had a spear made out of a beanpole and managed to trip a cameraman over with it! (It was live too.) This was witnessed by Mick Jones (formerly of The Clash) who came over and said hi and borrowed the spear which he waved around while he was playing. The presenter decided that somebody else won the fancy dress contest, but Leee John* from Imagination argued with him and pulled a "who's the star?" gambit, so I won too.
Then in the end the crowd rushed the barriers and the presenter escaped in an ambulance.
Best Saturday morning TV ever.
Did anybody else ever get to appear on TV as a kid?

*not a typo; he actually spelled it like that

Last edited:
For shows I loved:
Doctor Who, Dangermouse, Sapphire and Steel, Battle of the Planets, Looney Tunes (of course), Knightmare, Moondial, Paddington, Henry's Cat, Mister Benn, The Ghostbusters cartoon, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Knight Rider- but only if it had K.A.R.R. or Michael's evil twin with a beard, The Banana Splits, Hong Kong Phooey, The Pink Panther, The Perils of Professor.. erm somebody. I've forgotten, but it was about a teacher and kid who shrink. I watched a lot of Laurel and Hardy, Harold Lloyd and the Lone Ranger too.
And The Sooty Show and Button Moon.
And The Magic Roundabout and Jamie and the Magic Torch.
There must be more. There was a lot of great TV then. That and slightly rubbish TV that I liked anyway.

Last edited: