Childhood Stories and Good Memories

Discussion in 'Owl's Nest' started by TonyM, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Truth seeker
    Tier-1 Mod

Oz what town did you grow up in ? Mine was New Baltimore, MI. It’s not as rural any more. More like the suburbs.

2. ozentity

ozentity
    Expand Collapse
    Truth Seeker

I grew up and lived in Sydney until about 23,but used to spend most of my time as a kid in the little bush and wasteland that was left then,Is all highrise now.I always had at least 5 dogs (terriers)and used to hunt rats and rabbits there.I really didn't belong in a city.My real dad was a farmer from up the coast.

garnetsilver and Lynne like this.
  3. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Truth seeker
    Tier-1 Mod

I love hearing about your country. Thanks for sharing. It’s fun to get to know each other.

garnetsilver and ozentity like this.
  4. ozentity

ozentity
    Expand Collapse
    Truth Seeker

Same here Lynne, we are all very different but in so many ways the same.

Lynne and garnetsilver like this.
  5. garnetsilver

garnetsilver
    Expand Collapse

One of my fondest childhood memories involved a trip with my father. I come from a large family, so when my dad was in the market for a new car, he decided to take a train ride to a a city where they had a huge lot of cars that were reasonably priced. This was back in the sixties. He decided to take one of his kids along, and I was chosen, to my everlasting joy! I got a new dress for the trip, and new shoes. We started out having breakfast in a diner, which was a new experience for me, and then we went to the train station where I was gifted with two new Golden Books (anyone familiar with those?) and my choice of three kinds of candy. Then there was the train ride, which was also a first for me, and helping my Dad pick out a new, white station wagon. and last, the fun ride all the way back to our city, in our new car.

ozentity, Paintman and Debi like this.
  6. Debi

Debi
    Expand Collapse
    Owner/Admin
    Staff

I am pretty sure my sister and I owned the whole library of them! Remember them well and loved them. My parents were BIG on reading and music. We always had new books and a huge kid bookshelf in our bedroom.

Loved your adventure, Garnet!

Lynne, Paintman and garnetsilver like this.
  7. Armand

Armand
    Expand Collapse
    Tier-1 Mod

i rememeber that store we had one in town and they had the soda jerk man i was like 3 or 4 then they all poofed

Paintman and garnetsilver like this.
  8. Paintman

Paintman
    Expand Collapse
    Go Go White Sox !
    Tier-1 Mod

Clapping
    I guess my thing was the Drive-In. Mom and Dad used to take us to the drive-in in Dad's Oldsmobile 98. Before the movie started we would play at Kidding land . Swings and that Merry-Go-Round thing .My brother and I were outfitted with footie pajamas after a quick change.
    I have come to really love the drive-in. In high schoo,l I went darn near every day one summer. 72 Impala. Bought beer in Gary IN, at the Nickel Tap Tavern.
    Later in life I was the guy that would paint the drive-in movie theater screens.

9. Debi

Debi
    Expand Collapse
    Owner/Admin
    Staff

And I know exactly what Drive-in that is with the Kiddy Land!

Lynne, Paintman and garnetsilver like this.
  10. ozentity

ozentity
    Expand Collapse
    Truth Seeker

I had these when young,were handed down to my kids,now the grandkids have them.I think its the end of the road for the books,the grandkids are not as disciplined as my kids and I were.

Paintman and garnetsilver like this.