Childhood Stories and Good Memories

Debi, was the dime store Kresge's in The Village on Grant ?
Mom used to take my brother and I to The Dime Store after she finished her clothes shopping. We would sit at the soda counter and have grape pop out of those paper cone cups held in the stainless steel holders. And spaghetti. Then it was off to pick out a toy and look at the turtles, birds & rabbits in the pet aisle.
YES! And oh my, the pet part of it was another plus for me! Oh, and the grape? Better than wine outta those cups. :p

Reactions: Paintman
When we drank like royalty :)
b406e630643bc00c95e78baf1f05544c.jpg

I got really good at running, to school and back 4 times a day as I came home at lunchtime the school only being a couple of miles away for 12 years.

I wasn't fast but I could run forever, where I grew up you could run or fight. It was a shit place to grow up if you couldn't do either

Reactions: Debi and Lynne
While I'm on funny things in childhood and picking on my stepdad.He had been complaining for days about a blister on his arm,it was a dark red large pimple type thing with hair on it.He was saying the pain from it was shooting up his arm and into his brain.Mum sent him to the doctors mainly to shut up his whinging.After poking at the sore for a while the doc came back with a scalpel,he cut in level with his skin,the lump popped off and fell on the floor.It was a Tarzan jube,a kind of cough lolly that had stuck to dads arm and collected hair and fluff on it.The poor bloke never lived that down.
Wow!!! That’s funny.

Back in the day nobody walked a dog the door was opened and off they'd go coming and going whenever they felt like it. My golden lab Rupert used to buy his own dog food, mother would wrap the exact money in paper and off he'd go to the store bringing back a tin of dog food in his jaws.

This worked well until he came home one day with a pack of sausages he hadn't paid for, no idea where he got them.

The sausages were great though we were poor.
I hope Rupert hot at least one !

Reactions: garnetsilver
Don't you folks have some sort of meat pie that's an acquired taste? I can't remember the name and maybe it's only from one region.
A pasty

Growing up in rural MI was simple. We had what we needed and a little of what we wanted lol. Mom didn’t work so we had home cooked meals and a lot of freedom. We would play outside till dark. In the winter it was sledding and ice skating. The summers were spent on our bikes going no where lol. There was a museum and candy store within biking range and when we had money that was the destination. We were able to get a small bag of candy for a quarter. Simple times but I wouldn’t trade them for today.

I got really good at running, to school and back 4 times a day as I came home at lunchtime the school only being a couple of miles away for 12 years.

I wasn't fast but I could run forever, where I grew up you could run or fight. It was a shit place to grow up if you couldn't do either
I've heard Glasgow is one of the meanest cities to grow up in.