Childhood Stories and Good Memories

One of my fondest childhood memories involved a trip with my father. I come from a large family, so when my dad was in the market for a new car, he decided to take a train ride to a a city where they had a huge lot of cars that were reasonably priced. This was back in the sixties. He decided to take one of his kids along, and I was chosen, to my everlasting joy! I got a new dress for the trip, and new shoes. We started out having breakfast in a diner, which was a new experience for me, and then we went to the train station where I was gifted with two new Golden Books (anyone familiar with those?) and my choice of three kinds of candy. Then there was the train ride, which was also a first for me, and helping my Dad pick out a new, white station wagon. and last, the fun ride all the way back to our city, in our new car.
What a great memory. I hope he realized how important it was.

Reactions: garnetsilver
All the way through primary and secondary school (age 4-16), if you stepped out of line you could get up to six of the belt on an open palm and boy did that hurt. Over the years I was belted a few times despite having done nothing wrong, no point in protesting though. Long since banned.
I do not agree with teachers hitting kids in school. I know about bad kids since I worked in a juvenile detention center for my carrier however I still don’t agree with it. I remember the fear it inspired in going to school. I was a quiet gentle kid and seeing that happen to others was disturbing to me. Once I was talking when I wasn’t suppose to and got a paddle for it. I was devistated. All not necessary. This was one of the reasons I did not like school. I did well even so but living with that stress is not necessary. I do believe in parents spanking to a degree. Not beating. The diff I think is the average parent knows their kids and can decide when it’s really necessary.

One of my fondest childhood memories involved a trip with my father. I come from a large family, so when my dad was in the market for a new car, he decided to take a train ride to a a city where they had a huge lot of cars that were reasonably priced. This was back in the sixties. He decided to take one of his kids along, and I was chosen, to my everlasting joy! I got a new dress for the trip, and new shoes. We started out having breakfast in a diner, which was a new experience for me, and then we went to the train station where I was gifted with two new Golden Books (anyone familiar with those?) and my choice of three kinds of candy. Then there was the train ride, which was also a first for me, and helping my Dad pick out a new, white station wagon. and last, the fun ride all the way back to our city, in our new car.
You must have felt very special. What a great memory. I have similar memories of fishing with my Dad. He and I on the river in my hometown, wading down stream until there is just enough daylight left to get back home.

You must have felt very special. What a great memory. I have similar memories of fishing with my Dad. He and I on the river in my hometown, wading down stream until there is just enough daylight left to get back home.
I can so picture you fishing with your dad!

I do not agree with teachers hitting kids in school. I know about bad kids since I worked in a juvenile detention center for my carrier however I still don’t agree with it. I remember the fear it inspired in going to school. I was a quiet gentle kid and seeing that happen to others was disturbing to me. Once I was talking when I wasn’t suppose to and got a paddle for it. I was devistated. All not necessary. This was one of the reasons I did not like school. I did well even so but living with that stress is not necessary. I do believe in parents spanking to a degree. Not beating. The diff I think is the average parent knows their kids and can decide when it’s really necessary.

Many years later I was in a pub and there was a teacher who was enthusiastic about dishing out the belt. I put him in A&E, I think you call it ER in the US.

My grandpa, Pop, lived on 5 Acres out in the country . My brother and I would drive the tractor, shoot, explore the woods, and do all sorts of chores.Pop made it fun. Going to the county fair was always a big deal. Those were the brightest summer days ever:)

When I was a teenager we would go play golf together. Now Pop hasn't played in 20 years. He doesn't warm up or practice. Plays with his Sam Snead clubs from the early 60s. And goes out and shoots a respectable 90 on a pretty tough course.:p