Charities You Support

This is also my choice as I have a grandson with the disease. For those of you not familiar, it is the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund. T1D, Type 1 Diabetes, is very different from Type 2 that most people associate as Diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is thought to be caused by an autoimmune reaction (the body attacks itself by mistake). This reaction destroys the cells in the pancreas that make insulin, called beta cells.

One of the wonderful things this charity does, besides some outstanding research, is offer summer camp weeks free of charge to these kids. My grandson is attending his last summer camp this year, as he will age out next year, but plans on volunteering for them in the future. The camps have doctors and nurses staffing them so that parents get one week of not worrying about leveling their child's blood sugar and it also allows the kids some breathing room from mom and dad. This is literally a life or death situation for these kids if their insulin is off too much and it's a life of constant Dexcom alarms and carb counting any time of day or night.

T1D is not curable and is a life long disease. If you've read this far, thank you for allowing me to educate everyone a bit about my cause.

This is also my choice as I have a grandson with the disease. For those of you not familiar, it is the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund. T1D, Type 1 Diabetes, is very different from Type 2 that most people associate as Diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is thought to be caused by an autoimmune reaction (the body attacks itself by mistake). This reaction destroys the cells in the pancreas that make insulin, called beta cells.

One of the wonderful things this charity does, besides some outstanding research, is offer summer camp weeks free of charge to these kids. My grandson is attending his last summer camp this year, as he will age out next year, but plans on volunteering for them in the future. The camps have doctors and nurses staffing them so that parents get one week of not worrying about leveling their child's blood sugar and it also allows the kids some breathing room from mom and dad. This is literally a life or death situation for these kids if their insulin is off too much and it's a life of constant Dexcom alarms and carb counting any time of day or night.

T1D is not curable and is a life long disease. If you've read this far, thank you for allowing me to educate everyone a bit about my cause.
My niece ended up with this type of diabetes after a case of food poisoning. She has to wear an insulin pump and has had many scary close calls before she got the pump. Sometimes she would lose consciousness while sleeping!

My niece ended up with this type of diabetes after a case of food poisoning. She has to wear an insulin pump and has had many scary close calls before she got the pump. Sometimes she would lose consciousness while sleeping!
Which is pretty much why my son never sleeps all night...he is in charge of reacting to the alarms as my grandson sleeps like a rock. (New alert puppy being trained so dad will someday get a break!) Trey wears a pump as well, but cannula's can get crimped or blocked, hormones may make sugar jump or drop, heat and environmental factors plus illnesses all play a part of this as you probably know. As you may also know, the alarms come through the phones, and both parents get the alerts, but his mom sleeps without hearing aids in so she hears nothing.

Trey was diagnosed right before his 10th birthday and the suspicion is a virus of some type set his off. I'm glad to hear your niece has a pump! They were hard to get insurance to cover there for a bit. Trey's works on pods.

It wasn't easy for her to get the pump, she had to go through a lot of hassles. She is my favorite niece, and we are very close, so I was overjoyed when she got set up with what she needed. Her parents are very vigilant and if she is out and about, she has to check in or they will call her to make sure she's okay.

I support the local food bank and ArborDay Foundation.

When I'm good I give when I'm down I take (food bank) - I also give what I would spend at Thanksgiving when I hosted to Angel Ministries (local Methodist church) who opens their door to the homeless and hungry every holiday and Wednesday. I haven't done Thanksgiving for many years as it seems pretty glutenous to me - and I lost a dear friend on that day. We eat chili and sometimes someone hunts or something. Christmas I still give or help PBL with the Angel Tree in Walmart's. Oh, and Commercial Fishermen of Alaska (don't ask) lol