Can we handle "otherness"?

I think the premis is incorrect. We do not handle "otherness" well because of how we are taught. Very young children have no problem with it until their parents or some authority tells them there is a problem. I have watched my kids and other kids in all kinds of situations with all kinds of people and if they don't get any cues that there is a problem they don't have a problem no matter how different someone else is. And letting them ask questions about differences is gives them confidence, but getting upset that they ask "because it is rude" causes them to think there is something wrong, either with the other or with themselves. Psychology is a psuedo science at best.

Reactions: Debi
The opening statement about neurodiversity resonates with me, being on the autistic spectrum. I have always struggled with being perceived as "other," so I agree that it would probably not be easy incorporating acceptance of otherness into our daily lives. Neurotypical people are wired the same way that ancestors were, to gather together against perceived enemies and possibly seek to destroy them if they appear to present enough of a threat. I hope that as a race of beings that we can overcome that instant suspicion and hostility against anything different.

The opening statement about neurodiversity resonates with me, being on the autistic spectrum. I have always struggled with being perceived as "other," so I agree that it would probably not be easy incorporating acceptance of otherness into our daily lives. Neurotypical people are wired the same way that ancestors were, to gather together against perceived enemies and possibly seek to destroy them if they appear to present enough of a threat. I hope that as a race of beings that we can overcome that instant suspicion and hostility against anything different.
I suspect there are not really very many people left with what you call neurotypical wiring. There are more diagnosis of neuro differences now because it is being scrutinized. I know that if I were a child today 2 of my siblings and I would be diagnosed as "on the spectrum" of autism. My grandson is diagnosed as that and he had a lot of trouble when he started school, but it was the teachers, not the children who caused the rukus. And I call that school the Stepford Wives school where no one is allowed to be different (including hair color). He was moved in the middle of second grade to a new school where the focus was language intensive, and everything was taught in Spanish. He knew very little spanish but he learned and he was accepted easily at that school, even being behind in language. He got a spanish tutor and caught up to the other kids for the most part. We need to quit making kids fit into boxes and start treating them like individuals.

garnetsilver I forgot to mention something that might help you. When I was in 6th grade I figured out that being called weird was a compliment. I never wanted to fit in any cookie cutter that was presented as "how we should..." And it still makes no sense. Weird is good and I am sorry that you had to be made to feel "other", most of us have in one way or another.

garnetsilver I forgot to mention something that might help you. When I was in 6th grade I figured out that being called weird was a compliment. I never wanted to fit in any cookie cutter that was presented as "how we should..." And it still makes no sense. Weird is good and I am sorry that you had to be made to feel "other", most of us have in one way or another.
I came to realize that eventually! You are right; as the kids today would say, "let your freak flag fly!"

I guess how you are wired matters...i guess lol. I always just did my thing. Never relied on someone else or followed someone else, unless i had to. With dealing with paranormal stuff through life, it tends to put you in a mind set that would accept the inevitable contact from other worlds. Now, other worlds can be multiple scenarios. I accept people for who they are until they prove me different. If they are hostile, then action can and will be taken. If peaceful and willing to just get along, sit down my friend and have a drink lol. Let's get to know each other.

I guess how you are wired matters...i guess lol. I always just did my thing. Never relied on someone else or followed someone else, unless i had to. With dealing with paranormal stuff through life, it tends to put you in a mind set that would accept the inevitable contact from other worlds. Now, other worlds can be multiple scenarios. I accept people for who they are until they prove me different. If they are hostile, then action can and will be taken. If peaceful and willing to just get along, sit down my friend and have a drink lol. Let's get to know each other.
My grandson used to tell us about converstations he had with our dead relatives that he had known before he was 3. He doesn't talk about it much any more but he was almost 8 when he quit.

My grandson used to tell us about converstations he had with our dead relatives that he had known before he was 3. He doesn't talk about it much any more but he was almost 8 when he quit.
Young children were always more prone to 'see' or experience paranormal stuff. It's a shame as a lot of it is shrugged off as imagination. Some of it may be as depending on age, parts of their brain are still developing. Not everything should be tossed aside. It's detrimental to tell a child 'everything' they experience is 'in their head'. Believe me in know, been there. It took some time before i was old enough, without opinion interference, i was able to piece it all together. Hell, even now i am still putting the puzzle pieces together and realizing what was and was not.

Considering it is the type of “Otherness” that does not control or rule us , like anything else it takes time. Time to be educated and become desensitized. Look at all the stuff that have become accepted that 50 years ago would not have been. I think we will evolve naturally and that is probably why disclosure has to be slow.