Can wasps make comparisons like humans?

Living in the land of 2 inch red wasps - I don't know about all that scientific stuff, but from observation I can tell you that they are thinker's alright. After not much time at all, and wayyy to many stings, I can also tell you this "just leave them alone and they won't hurt you" theory is worth about as much as handing a tree a pair of shoe's. You also come to recognize that they have Guard's - that is their specific job. Guarding. They guard the home, they stand guard when their brother's and sister's fly off in a group to wherever they go, and they are especially vigilant when the eggs are hatching -- which they then proceed to watch while the larvae is being transported by transporting wasps from point A to point wherever.

When you see those guards - don't go over there. Don't go around there. Don't even look their way. They are watching...Of course they are sentient beings.

I once hired this guy to till a small flower garden for me. He brought a mid-size tiller and an attitude. When I showed him where I wanted the bed, as all good Arkansas men do - he denied I knew what I was talking about and proceeded to tell me where it SHOULD be (up against the east foundation). That would be great, I said... but the red wasp are thick in that location. He gave me the 'how stupid can you get' look and proceeded to do it his way. He was wearing a baseball cap, which might seem like an arbitrary statement but it's not, you'll see.

He got busy with that tiller and started against the log's of the cabin (where of course it vibrated through the logs) intending to work outward several feet. Within a few SECONDS a red wasp started dive bombing his head. That's right -- he was a Guard. So, the guy takes off his hat and starts swatting at it. The wasp would retreat a few feet and then dive again (this was a warning you see - to back off) Now the guy is getting furious - cussing, randomly swatting, sweating, and very aware I was watching... So - he isn't going to lose this battle. After maybe 5-6 minutes of this the wasp flew to the east about maybe 50 yards or so, hovered a second or two, and started back in our direction. And right behind him, spread out but in alignment, and coming fast - were a WHOLE BUNCH more. I took to the door before they were even close. He just stood there with his mouth open. For a minute. Then he wasn't swatting anymore - he was running - for his truck... he didn't come back for that tiller for a week. brahahhahaa.

Maybe they should be doing experiments on the experimenters. Game, Set, Match.

I just love to watch nature triumph when the lesson won't be learned.

Living in the land of 2 inch red wasps - I don't know about all that scientific stuff, but from observation I can tell you that they are thinker's alright. After not much time at all, and wayyy to many stings, I can also tell you this "just leave them alone and they won't hurt you" theory is worth about as much as handing a tree a pair of shoe's. You also come to recognize that they have Guard's - that is their specific job. Guarding. They guard the home, they stand guard when their brother's and sister's fly off in a group to wherever they go, and they are especially vigilant when the eggs are hatching -- which they then proceed to watch while the larvae is being transported by transporting wasps from point A to point wherever.

When you see those guards - don't go over there. Don't go around there. Don't even look their way. They are watching...Of course they are sentient beings.

I once hired this guy to till a small flower garden for me. He brought a mid-size tiller and an attitude. When I showed him where I wanted the bed, as all good Arkansas men do - he denied I knew what I was talking about and proceeded to tell me where it SHOULD be (up against the east foundation). That would be great, I said... but the red wasp are thick in that location. He gave me the 'how stupid can you get' look and proceeded to do it his way. He was wearing a baseball cap. He got busy with that tiller and started against the log's of the cabin intending to work outward several feet. Within a few SECONDS a red wasp started dive bombing his head. That's right -- he was a Guard. So, the guy takes off his hat and starts swatting at it. The wasp would retreat a few feet and then dive again (this was a warning you see - to back off) Now the guy is getting furious - cussing, randomly swatting, sweating, and very aware I was watching... So - he isn't going to lose this battle. After maybe 5-6 minutes of this the wasp flew to the east about maybe 50 yards or so, hovered a second or two, and started back in our direction. And right behind him, spread out but in alignment, and coming fast - were a WHOLE BUNCH more. I took to the door before they were even close. He just stood there with his mouth open. For a minute. Then he wasn't swatting anymore - he was running - for his truck... he didn't come back for that tiller for a week. brahahhahaa.

Never got stung but been chased to many times! I disturb a nest thank God it only hit my ear but never stung

Reactions: Donna K.

I once hired this guy to till a small flower garden for me. He brought a mid-size tiller and an attitude. When I showed him where I wanted the bed, as all good Arkansas men do - he denied I knew what I was talking about and proceeded to tell me where it SHOULD be (up against the east foundation). That would be great, I said... but the red wasp are thick in that location. He gave me the 'how stupid can you get' look and proceeded to do it his way. He was wearing a baseball cap, which might seem like an arbitrary statement but it's not, you'll see.

He got busy with that tiller and started against the log's of the cabin (where of course it vibrated through the logs) intending to work outward several feet. Within a few SECONDS a red wasp started dive bombing his head. That's right -- he was a Guard. So, the guy takes off his hat and starts swatting at it. The wasp would retreat a few feet and then dive again (this was a warning you see - to back off) Now the guy is getting furious - cussing, randomly swatting, sweating, and very aware I was watching... So - he isn't going to lose this battle. After maybe 5-6 minutes of this the wasp flew to the east about maybe 50 yards or so, hovered a second or two, and started back in our direction. And right behind him, spread out but in alignment, and coming fast - were a WHOLE BUNCH more. I took to the door before they were even close. He just stood there with his mouth open. For a minute. Then he wasn't swatting anymore - he was running - for his truck... he didn't come back for that tiller for a week. brahahhahaa.

I loved this story because I've seen this very thing happen! I just stayed in the house and watched out the window. Oh, and provided medical care for the loser. lol