Can Ghosts speak to Alexa?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Can Ghosts Speak To Alexa? | Stranger Dimensions

Wow...inter-veil activity?

Throughout the history of spirit communication, people have used a variety of unique tools and methods to contact the deceased.

From automatic writing using planchettes, to mediums channeling the other side during late night seances, we’ve managed to develop quite the number of alleged ways to speak to the dead. The Ouija board, too, is an immensely popular form of attempted communication. In modern times, paranormal investigators have turned to radios and recording devices, like so-called Ghost Boxes, to capture electronic voice phenomena.

Perhaps there’s something else we can add to that list of tools in our supernatural toolbox: Alexa.

Amazon’s plucky virtual assistant inhabits nearly everything they make. Their Echo smart speakers, their TV sticks, their Fire tablets. Personally, I’ve never used Alexa, but apparently Amazon has sold over 100 million of these devices as of January 2019. That means Alexa can be found in many, many households, fielding many, many spoken commands.

But here’s a question: Can ghosts also speak to Alexa?

If we are to believe that they can speak through recording devices and radios, as they allegedly did with Konstantīns Raudive in the 1960s, there’s no particular reason ghosts can’t also speak through modern smart speakers. I’d imagine any spectral transmitting stations are already well-equipped to handle such technologies, wouldn’t you?

After all, Alexa’s no stranger to strange things. For example, in 2018, there were several reports of Alexa spontaneously laughing, which Amazon dubbed a simple “malfunction,” though a creepy one.

That said, can everything be explained away as simply a glitch or a misheard command?

One Echo user experienced a number of odd activities surrounding their device. On one day in particular, after the passing of their grandmother, they truly began to wonder if spirits beyond were conversing with Alexa:

“My grandma passed away around that time. A couple of days after her passing, the Echo turned on (when I was alone) and started playing ‘Mandy,’ by Boston. I had never heard that song before and had never played it on the Echo. My grandma was the only one who called me Mandy.”

Is it possible that ghosts might be giving Alexa commands? In another case, a user’s recently deceased grandfather may have asked Alexa to play a song:

“My grandpa passed away a few months back, leaving my grandma to live by herself. She has an Amazon echo. One night when she was alone getting ready for bed, she heard a song start playing in the living room, in a house that was completely silent. Alexa was playing the song Lucille by Kenny Rogers (a song she shares a name with). The song was my grandparents’ favorite song to dance to together.”

Perhaps it’s an odd coincidence, but I stumbled across multiple instances, including the above, of Echo users hearing very specific songs playing after the passing of a loved one, almost as if their ghosts were trying to send messages through these devices.

One Redditor shared an account of an Amazon Dot randomly playing a song that had helped them deal with the loss of their father. Another report of paranormal activity after a recent death also involved Alexa playing a specific song over and over again.

Is there anything to the idea that ghosts are reaching out to certain individuals through Alexa and other smart devices? In one final example, an Alexa command seemed a bit more specific:

“Today my mom was on her house phone with my grandmother (my mom left her cellphone at work, an hour away) . While she was talking, her Alexa came on, lit up green, and said “Dad wants to talk. Dad wants to talk” and she repeated it again two more times. My grandfather/moms father, passed away last Christmas.”

Of course, none of this proves anything supernatural. These are, after all, just anecdotes, and sometimes weird things just happen.

But consider this: Amazon reportedly employs thousands of people who sift through thousands of Alexa conversations every day to improve its voice recognition. That’s a lot of data. Now, if otherworldly entities can communicate through recording devices, including Alexa, just how many of those conversations may have been with ghosts? Is it possible that some Amazon employees have actually listened to EVPs captured by these devices?

They’d probably never even notice.

How about you? Has your smart device, if you have one, ever done anything you’d consider unnatural?

Reactions: Fizz
My iPhone, which was on a counter in another room, once announced, “I’ve learned something new!” I heard it and immediately ran into the other room to see that my iPhone was still awake hence it seemed reasonable to me that I had correctly heard that come from my phone and not some other source.

My iPhone has said several times “sorry, I didn’t get that.” That usually occurs when you say, “hey Siri” to wake it up, and if it doesn’t understand you, it will say that. I’ve also had it pushed off my nightstand many times when I’m about to go to sleep.

My iPhone, which was on a counter in another room, once announced, “I’ve learned something new!” I heard it and immediately ran into the other room to see that my iPhone was still awake hence it seemed reasonable to me that I had correctly heard that come from my phone and not some other source.
Oh that’s creepy.

My daughter had her Alexa turn it’s self on and play music not on her play list. Right then I decided I didn’t want one. I do have a smart phone though.

Not strictly a smartphone assistant issue but at least a smartphone app. As a frequent traveler, I have all of the typical airline, hotel, and rental car apps on all of my smart devices.

On Sept 29, 2014, my iPhone was sitting on the counter, I was in the next room, and I heard my phone ring out with an uncommon but not totally foreign loud tone. So I ran to the other room and looked down at my phone to see that my Delta Airlines app just announced the gate number where my flight was now boarding.

Panic - double take! I’m at home and someone seems to think I should be boarding a plane! I was panicked thinking that I had screwed up big time and booked a meeting with a client or a partner in some other state and forgot all about it.

I opened the folder where I keep all of my travel documents - nothing there. Either that’s good news or secondary evidence that I’d screwed up. Then logged into my corporate travel app to confirm that I did or did not have any travel plans there - none again. I still wasn’t satisfied so I called Delta to speak with an agent directly and confirmed they too had no record of my flight. The agent also told me they have never heard of a like symptom occurring with their app.

I have no idea what happened to cause this but the Delta app rang out one more time just minutes later to let me know the plane was closing it’s doors. I know the exact date because I still have a screenshot of that app-capade in my phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7Critter and Debi
I don't know about Alexa or smart phones, I don't own such things. But I did live in a house in the 60's where I heard one voice speaking through a baby monitor. By the things that were said it wasn't a neighbor being picked up and I was home alone. It wasn't threatening, just weird.

I don't know about Alexa or smart phones, I don't own such things. But I did live in a house in the 60's where I heard one voice speaking through a baby monitor. By the things that were said it wasn't a neighbor being picked up and I was home alone. It wasn't threatening, just weird.
I recently was picking up a distant neighbor on my laptop. Ham operator! He finally fixed his signal so I no longer got the bleed over, but that was a bit shocking when it first happened! I've also picked up police chatter on a monitor before.