Calls for "standards" on sexbots

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
The Campaign Against Sex Robots raises red flag for violence and victimization, calls for standards in sexbots - TechRepublic

sex-robot.jpg

Kathleen Richardson is worried about sex robots. Now a robot ethics researcher at De Montfort University, she's spent the last 15 years looking at robots "designed to take on intimate roles, that were once thought off-limits to machines—companions, friends, lovers."

While the concept of a robo-girlfriend may seem farfetched, there is the prediction that most of us—yes, you read that right—will be having sex with robots by the year 2050. And although sex robots are nowhere near mainstream, companies like True Companion and RealDoll have already developed strikingly realistic models (if you have any doubt about how realistic, look at the New York Times video). Some of these "companions" can engage in "conversation," and can even download different personalities.

This may seem like a fantasy for those who are less inclined (or able) to form real-life relationships. But it has raised serious concerns. Earlier this year, Richardson, along with Erik Billing of the University of Skövde in Sweden, formed the Campaign Against Sex Robots, whose mission is to raise awareness about how these robots "are potentially harmful and will contribute to inequalities in society."

How can the existence of a robot contribute to inequalities? Richardson believes that the asymmetrical balance of power between human/sexbot is a parallel to the real-world prostitute-john relationship. The robot, like a prostitute, becomes an object for purchase. Richardson said that in society today, "the objects are women and children, and the buyers are men. You don't have to be a feminist, you just have to look at empirical data to see there's a market in human bodies."

It's a reflection, she said, of what is already happening in society. "For that market to exist, those bodies must be presented in certain kinds of ways. And to present a body in a way that you can buy, you can penetrate, you can torture, is only possible if you don't see that other human as a full subject. If you truly value other human beings, it would be very difficult to buy sex off of them."
MORE AT SITE
________________________________________________________________________________

Is this what the human condition has come to? ***shaking head sadly***

Reactions: The Doctor
I don't get it. The best part of the male -female thing is the hunt. You have to find out what type of woman it is, what makes her laugh and tick. All in a small time frame. The ultimate challenge for 10 seconds of ......you can't just plug her in. It is a win for me because when I am older, there will be plenty of single women that want to talk :)

Reactions: Debi
I don't get it. The best part of the male -female thing is the hunt. You have to find out what type of woman it is, what makes her laugh and tick. All in a small time frame. The ultimate challenge for 10 seconds of ......you can't just plug her in. It is a win for me because when I am older, there will be plenty of single women that want to talk :)
Agreed! And I don't get this either. Where the heck is the fun in this kind of "relationship?" I read somewhere some guy in Japan actually formally "married" one of these "things."

Reactions: sal
Agreed! And I don't get this either. Where the heck is the fun in this kind of "relationship?" I read somewhere some guy in Japan actually formally "married" one of these "things."
I guess the divorce will be easy, just unplug and stick in the attic:)

Reactions: Debi