Buttons that don't work

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/placebo-buttons-design/index.html

Have you ever pressed the pedestrian button at a crosswalk and wondered if it really worked? Or bashed the "close door" button in an elevator, while suspecting that it may, in fact, have no effect whatsoever?
You're not alone, and you may be right. The world is full of buttons that don't actually do anything.
They're sometimes called "placebo buttons" -- buttons that are mechanically sound and can be pushed, but provide no functionality. Like placebo pills, however, these buttons may still serve a purpose, according to Ellen Langer, a Harvard psychologist who pioneered a concept known as the "illusion of control."
"They do have a psychological effect," she said in a phone interview. "Taking some action leads people to feel a sense of control over a situation, and that feels good, rather than just being a passive bystander.
"Doing something typically feels better than doing nothing."

Full (amusing) story at site!

Reactions: TonyM
I can't say I've ever knowingly experienced that it does sound likely

Makes sense for bigger cities. If every single push at an intersection worked, all it takes is bad timing of buttons being pushed at different intersections to cause an accident or a traffic jam.

Makes sense for bigger cities. If every single push at an intersection worked, all it takes is bad timing of buttons being pushed at different intersections to cause an accident or a traffic jam.
And now I know why doors don't close on elevators with the button. lol

Reactions: Charleh
And now I know why doors don't close on elevators with the button. lol
Hold down the close button. Some elevators are designed to reach a floor with no stops if you hold the floor button you want and the close button.