Building collapses, burns in New York's East Village

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naked Apple

Anam Cara
Reaction score
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bu...n-new-yorks-east-village/ar-AAa3loG?ocid=iehp

BREAKING:
Twelve people injured, including four critically, in New York City building collapse and blaze, fire department says.
This is a developing story, check back soon for the latest information.
EARLIER:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - A residential apartment building collapsed and was engulfed in flames on Thursday in New York City's East Village neighborhood, critically injuring at least one person, authorities said.
Witnesses reported hearing an explosion, and local television footage showed flames leaping high into the sky and thick plumes of dark smoke.
New York building collapse People could be seen being carried on stretchers from the brick structure that was ablaze.
A spokeswoman for the Con Edison utility company said crews were on the scene but had not determined whether there had been a gas explosion. She said gas supplies were being cut to buildings in the immediate area as a precaution.
One person was injured critically and other injuries were possible, said the Fire Department of New York (FDNY).
At least six people were being treated at the scene and two firefighters were reported injured as well, according to the Daily News newspaper.
Local television reported an adjacent building was also on fire.
The FDNY said the building was located at Second Avenue and East 7th Street in Manhattan's East village, a neighborhood of small businesses, restaurants and apartments.
"We heard a big sound, then three or four people fell on the street," said Shameem Noor, a cashier at Veselka, a restaurant about a block away.
AAa3olL.img
© Reuters Video still of NYC Firefighters battling a blaze in a building, which later collapsed, in New York City's East Village, March 26, 2015. "People were running and screaming," he said. "There's a big fire on the roof and black smoke."
Reports of the collapse came in shortly after 3 p.m., the FDNY said. The FDNY declared it a seven-alarm fire.
Witnesses said it was a five-story apartment building.

I saw the live reports today. How awful! Nekki, are you familiar with that area? I heard that it was rather well known to those in the NY area. Of course, that was Shep Smith who lives nearby who said that. Prayers to all those killed and injured, and for the safety of those fighting that fire!

I saw the live reports today. How awful! Nekki, are you familiar with that area? I heard that it was rather well known to those in the NY area. Of course, that was Shep Smith who lives nearby who said that. Prayers to all those killed and injured, and for the safety of those fighting that fire!
Oh yeah, I used to hang out there all the time when I went to NYU. I also dated someone and had a friend who both lived in the East Village. It is an artsy, trendy area of Manhattan. Very popular with the tourists and also locals. I also used to go to the village in general all the time when I lived on Long Island. Very sad. Too many buildings and infrastructure crumbling for no good reason lately.

I haven't seen the news yet tonight, Nekki. Did they get that fire under control?

Reactions: surge
Status
Not open for further replies.