Building a Time Tunnel?

A time tunnel offers up a world of questions and possibilities. I suspect that if they built one with the expectation of changing history that they would be very disappointed. Anyone that went back and changed the past would cease to exist in the originating timeline. It would be like jumping in a Blackhole. IF they changed the past then they would never go back to change the past in the new timeline so it didn't happen. I suspect that if anything they would cause a divergent timeline and on the originating line they went in a hole and never came back and there was no change. I suspect that time travel may be possible but it will be a failure for anything more than a careful study of REAL history.

I suspect there would be an almost instant war over it. Nations without it would fear it and then you would have the social impact. Can you IMAGINE the reaction that the fundamentalist Christians would have if someone tried to go back and study the real and original Jesus or Mohamed???!!!

I think that history is in the past and is best to be left there. Most of what we have and call history is legend and fictional at best. Even in my lifetime some of the things that I lived through are being morphed and changed. People don't like reality. It is harsh and doesn't make allowances for beliefs and feelings. People like to think well of their predecessors and over time will paint over their rough spots. History is written by the winners at the expense of the losers.

Given a chance, a lot of nations would love to change their past but in the process, they would destroy their present existence. Paradox and ambiguity are not tolerated in nature. Up is up and down is down. Any change would not be a change because in that timeline that would be the way it had always been.

There is the possibility that any trip to the past might be a one-way trip. When you went into the past it caused a new line to come into existence and when you tried to return to the future nothing would happen because there is not yet any future to go to in that new timeline.

Soooo many possibilities. I do believe that time travel is possible and happens but it is noncorporeal. Your mind is not tied in a linear timeline. Sometimes you can get a glimpse in either direction.

A time tunnel offers up a world of questions and possibilities. I suspect that if they built one with the expectation of changing history that they would be very disappointed. Anyone that went back and changed the past would cease to exist in the originating timeline. It would be like jumping in a Blackhole. IF they changed the past then they would never go back to change the past in the new timeline so it didn't happen. I suspect that if anything they would cause a divergent timeline and on the originating line they went in a hole and never came back and there was no change. I suspect that time travel may be possible but it will be a failure for anything more than a careful study of REAL history.

I suspect there would be an almost instant war over it. Nations without it would fear it and then you would have the social impact. Can you IMAGINE the reaction that the fundamentalist Christians would have if someone tried to go back and study the real and original Jesus or Mohamed???!!!

I think that history is in the past and is best to be left there. Most of what we have and call history is legend and fictional at best. Even in my lifetime some of the things that I lived through are being morphed and changed. People don't like reality. It is harsh and doesn't make allowances for beliefs and feelings. People like to think well of their predecessors and over time will paint over their rough spots. History is written by the winners at the expense of the losers.

Given a chance, a lot of nations would love to change their past but in the process, they would destroy their present existence. Paradox and ambiguity are not tolerated in nature. Up is up and down is down. Any change would not be a change because in that timeline that would be the way it had always been.

There is the possibility that any trip to the past might be a one-way trip. When you went into the past it caused a new line to come into existence and when you tried to return to the future nothing would happen because there is not yet any future to go to in that new timeline.

Soooo many possibilities. I do believe that time travel is possible and happens but it is noncorporeal. Your mind is not tied in a linear timeline. Sometimes you can get a glimpse in either direction.
I hope you’re right on this. It is a scary thing to think any government could do this let alone one like China.

If they could they already DID because it would have happened in the past. From our point of view, it wouldn't matter if they did it in a year or in a hundred years because for us it already happened.

I hope you’re right on this. It is a scary thing to think any government could do this let alone one like China.
well its all pretty much just theory and sci-fi ideas at this point, but i will say that the problem with this theory is saying that nothing would change in this timeline because you would cease to exist.... if that were the case then this timeline would be changed simply because that person was no longer in existance.........Example : if someone was to go back in time, its probably safe to assume they would be a physicist or scientist of some type. who had probably worked on projects before this one, so by losing that individual all that knowlege would be lost, instant timeline change... especially if it were something like the cure for some great disease or energy.... make sense? ..... or if that person was involved in creating the path for time travel then that in itself would mean time travel can never be a success....hmmmm which leads to the age old problem of time travel...lol

well its all pretty much just theory and sci-fi ideas at this point

Sorry, but I have to disagree here. The scientific community already know that it could be done. The issue at present is that generating the energy to accomplish it is way beyond our technological means at present. However, our current research into cold-fusion could change this in the future........

When we think of "time travel", we are usually thinking of travelling faster than 1 second per second. Albert Einstein came up with an idea about how time works, which was his theory on relativity. His theory said that time and space are linked together. Einstein also said our universe has a speed limit and that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

Side-stepping slightly for a moment, his theory of 'nothing capable of travelling faster than the speed of light' has already been proven scientifically incorrect. There are things in our Universe that can travel faster than light, two examples of which are quantum entanglement (proven under the ERP experiment) and negative matter (proven under CERN experiments). In 2017, Washington State University physicists created a fluid with negative mass (negative matter), which is exactly what it sounds like. When it was pushed, unlike every physical object in the world we know, it didn't accelerate (by the force applied) in the direction it was pushed - it accelerated backwards, against the applied force.

Anyhow, back to where we dropped off.........

So, what does this mean for time travel? According to his theory, the faster you travel, the slower you experience time. Scientists have done some experiments to show that this is actually true and that 'relativity' is actually a scientific thing beyond Einstein's theory.

For example, the Hafele–Keating experiment used a number of atomic clocks set to the exact same time. Some clocks stayed on Earth, while others flew in an aeroplane. After the aeroplane flew around the world under test conditions, scientists compared the two clocks. The clock on the fast-moving aeroplane was slightly behind the clock on the ground. So, the clocks on the aircraft were travelling slightly slower in time than 1 second per second and thus proved the case of special and general relativity.

His theory also stated that gravity can 'curve' space and time, causing the passage of time to slow down. Again, science has proved this to be correct. Gravity, time and space are interlinked. As an example, high up where satellites orbit, Earth's gravity is much weaker and this causes the internal clocks on GPS satellites to run faster than clocks here on the ground. The combined result is that the clocks on GPS satellites experience time at a rate slightly faster than 1 second per second.

Astronauts on the ISS also experience effects through the gravity, space and time relationship. They actually age slower, meaning that they are younger upon their return home in comparison to if they had remained on Earth. The official term used by science is time dilation. The effect is very minor and in reality, you would have to stay in space for over 100 years to warp by 1 second - but it is still there: they have, in effect, time travelled.

Gravity used to curve space and time, incidentally, is the basis on which the current research on warp drives, specifically the Alcubierre Drive, is based upon. Two decades ago, was the notion of a warp drive not just the stuff of science-fiction? Today, it is serious scientific research and they are gaining more ground and understanding on the subject every day.

I do not know how a time travel wormhole would work, the effects of time speeding up and slowing down within the vortex created, or the energy that would be required to generate one, but we do have the scientific knowledge and understanding to back-up a potential device.

The thing I am far more concerned about is the fact that anyone would potentially even want to try and build this upon our planet. To alter the fabric of space and time you have to, in effect, build yourself the equivalent of a black hole to generate the gravitational displacement effect, which has to be equivalent to that of a very large planet, for any useful effect against time and space.........

Last edited:
Sorry, but I have to disagree here. The scientific community already know that it could be done.
this is what makes it a theory, saying that it "COULD " be done doesn't make it real. its not "fact" or real until it is accomplished. a mathematical or scientific equation can be made to fit many ideas or theories, even to prove some things may be possible, but what they fail to do is take into consideration all the variables that may be faced with accomplishing the goal set forth. the variables, wrenches in the machine, murphy, etc is only able to be overcome by trial and error, and until success is acheived, its all just theory.
an example would be, your first paragraph states its not theory because science says it COULD be done, but the last paragraph states it would take a planet sized anomaly to work..... which cannot be done. or a power source that as of yet dousnt exist...that is what makes it just an idea or theory

Last edited:
Reactions: ozentity