Brown Dwarf in our solar system?

tribute22

Reaction score
So, we now have a brown dwarf star in our solar system. It's further than Pluto but seems to be closer than the Oort cloud. So, does that mean that our solar system is a binary star system?

Reactions: Ragnar0711
So, we now have a brown dwarf star in our solar system. It's further than Pluto but seems to be closer than the Oort cloud. So, does that mean that our solar system is a binary star system?
If it orbits with our known system, or our system orbits it then I think yes.
If no to the above. Then it would be a lone star, just really close to us lol :)

I imagine I'm doing this the wrong way but anyhoo, the article I'm referring to is

Our star’s companion is approaching the inner planets of the Solar System which is at Our star’s companion is approaching the inner planets of the Solar System.​

I saw a diagram of it's orbit and it seems to be elliptical with the perigee being somewhat close to Pluto and the apogee being a good bit further away but still with the Oort cloud.

From the diagram shown, the dwarf star has an orbit independant of our solar system, so I would say not binary system, just a really close neighbor :D

Reactions: Lynne