Britain's Pompeii

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Bronze Age find dubbed 'Britain's Pompeii' - Unexplained Mysteries

news-bronze-age-hut.jpg

Archaeologists have discovered a well-preserved Bronze Age settlement at a quarry in Cambridgeshire.
The find, which dates back over 3,000 years, consists of several houses built on stilts that were damaged by a fire before falling in to a river where the silt helped to preserve their contents.

Artifacts unearthed at the site, including pots with food still inside them, have helped researchers to better understand what life would have been like for families living in the region at that time.

The level of preservation has also prompted comparisons with the Roman city of Pompeii which saw its buildings and inhabitants buried in volcanic ash following the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 AD.

Human remains uncovered at the site suggest that some of the people who lived there, like many of the citizens of Pompeii, ultimately failed to make it out in time.

Archaeologists are now trying to work out if the fire was an accident or if it was started deliberately.

Reactions: Mokey and 7Critter
What a great find. I am surprised that this survived three centuries. It must be very exciting for those who are uncovering its mysteries.

After you let the original video play, there is a second video about this site. For me, I hovered in the upper left hand corner to locate and play.

Reactions: Mokey and Debi
That is very cool. Would be fun to be there and go through those things.