Brain needs 1.5 MB to learn a language

jadamz

the Countess
Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
Your Brain Needs 1.5 MB of Storage to Master Your Native Language

Now, a new study suggests that learning a language between birth and age 18 is not as effortless as it may seem. An average English-speaking adult will likely have learned about 12.5 million bits of information related to language, a group of researchers reported March 27 in the journal Royal Society Open Science.

Much of this 12.5 million bits of language information stored in the brain is not related to grammar and syntax, but rather is about word meaning, according to the study.

"A lot of research on language learning focuses on syntax, like word order," co-author Steven Piantadosi, an assistant professor of psychology at UC Berkeley, said in a statement. "But our study shows that syntax represents just a tiny piece of language learning, and that the main difficulty has got to be in learning what so many words mean."

This is also what differentiates human learners from robot learners, he added. "Machines know what words go together and where they go in sentences, but know very little about the meaning of words."

As a French language learner, this article is of interest

Reactions: Mokey
Well that explains alot for me I ain't got enough storage in my brain I only learned some Spanish but not enough to have a convo with.:(:tearsofjoy:

Well that explains alot for me I ain't got enough storage in my brain I only learned some Spanish but not enough to have a convo with.:(:tearsofjoy:
Hi Paranormal Mom, hey just out of curiosity. Did you find learning a foreign language extremely difficult, or to the point of being impossible?
If so, what about higher math, learning a musical instrument or paint a picture?

Reactions: ParanormalMom
Hi Paranormal Mom, hey just out of curiosity. Did you find learning a foreign language extremely difficult, or to the point of being impossible?
If so, what about higher math, learning a musical instrument or paint a picture?

Learning the little bit I know of Spanish mainly counting to 6, thank you , no, friends, and of course swear words. It was really not living in Arizona alot of Spanish speaking people. As for music instruments nope never got a grasp on it. And for art only in school in the 8th grade at Wilkins jr high school in justice IL I was in a blue print drafting class got the highest score on one of my drawings but that's about it.
I noticed when I was in school I got bored fast with alot of subject's. But one thing I always been interested in been the paranormal evem back when I was 12. Been so drawn to it I don't want to say I am obsessed with it, one person told me the reason why I am so drawn to it , it is my calling to help.

Reactions: Paintman
Thanks.
The reason I asked is that it was discovered in college that I had a learning disability. I barely passed the minimum math requirements and could not pass minimum language requirements. Took a popular IQ test and the psychologist said that I have an inability to code.
This has nothing to do with writing computer language and everything with making cognitive relationships.
High math, music, foreign language, and sometimes art, require similar mental functions.
3 up shots.
Got a waiver for learning foriegn languages.
All of the hellish frustration I went through with high school tutors was not my fault.:)
Spread awareness that this is a thing.

Thanks.
The reason I asked is that it was discovered in college that I had a learning disability. I barely passed the minimum math requirements and could not pass minimum language requirements. Took a popular IQ test and the psychologist said that I have an inability to code.
This has nothing to do with writing computer language and everything with making cognitive relationships.
High math, music, foreign language, and sometimes art, require similar mental functions.
3 up shots.
Got a waiver for learning foriegn languages.
All of the hellish frustration I went through with high school tutors was not my fault.:)
Spread awareness that this is a thing.

I was in special education for 3 yrs I am glad you know it is not your fault.
To be honest math, spelling was my down fall. Spelling reading to understand it I ridiculously taught myself u am better at spelling most words, long scientific words heck no,
Math still have a problem with the harder ones. Unfortunately when we are growing inside our mothers nature is not perfect. ;)

Reactions: Paintman and Debi