Boyfriend Saw Something In A Graveyard

Nat

Reaction score
This experience is one my boyfriend had but I was there to witness.

We visited an abandoned church near my home town. It had nothing around for miles aside from cows and crops. Only one way in, a ditch all the way around and a long walk from the road. Anyway, when we entered, he got uneasy because there was evil graffiti on the floor and walls of the church. I have been before so was more bothered by a nesting bird above our heads and picking up some feathers (my younger brother collects them).

My boyfriend got arrogant to hide his fear, mocking names on graves and kicking them. We were walking towards some war graves and he was walking beside me. All of a sudden he just turns around and walks away. I assumed he went to look at other graves and left him so I could pay my respects to the war graves.

When I got back to the car, he begged me to put the feathers I had collected down. So I did and he was silent for the whole journey back home. Once home he went upstairs and just started weeping in bed. He then told me that behind a tree by the war graves he saw a man looking back at him. He said he couldn't remember his face but it had a long coat that was fastened up. It looked like it was looking out from behind the tree at him. Like it was trying to hide. He looked to me to see if I saw (I was looking in the same direction but saw nothing) and when he looked back he was gone. It spooked him enough he went back to the car and sat there until I joined him.

Odd thing was he hardly spoke that night aside from shivering and not wanting to be left alone. However, he'd also ask odd questions like "do you have any family heirlooms?" And "do you have the medals of any family members I can see?" He knew the answers to them questions and it was an odd question to ask between him crying. He was cold to me aswell, snappy if I bugged him but then a second later would be like a frightened pup. I was really worried but the next morning, he was back to his old self. Honestly, he made me uneasy, the questions he asked I thought he was going to rob me or something else that was scary. Even though I know he never do such a thing.

He doesn't remember anything but the fear. Not even how he acted or the man he saw. (He remembers he saw it but now how it looked) I remember it all, even wondering if it was safe to sleep next to him that night. (He did wake me up in the night to smile at me, say I was pretty then whispered for me to go back to sleep, that was odd but he does talk in his sleep so).

In all honesty, its frightened me for awhile. How come only he saw thing thing, I know well it wasnt a person as I was stood next to the tree looking at the graves. Why did he act that way? What did he see?

He is fine now, he believes in the paranormal more. Less arrogant in a graveyard or when he is frightened. This was over a year ago.

Any thoughts are much appreciated, thank you.

Why are you so sure the man your bf claimed to have seen "wasn't a person"? Seems odd you are sure about something you didn't see.

Graveyards have long been used by hobos, tramps, homeless people, etc., as places of refuge because they are relatively safe. Sounds like a possibility your boyfriend's disrespect and desecration of the graves caught the attention of and frightened one such individual and he hide and/or ran away.

Last edited:
Hi Nat,
Let me just get this out of the way. I'm one of the mods here, and I read a lot of spooky accounts. That was beautifully written and straight from the heart.:) Well done.
Just my two cents about your boyfriend's account. The deeper I get into these experiences, and my own, and family lore, Heck if I know and I'm throwing my hands up in the air.
The thing that I find comforting is when I read these reports, I'm not all alone. And you and your boyfriend or not all alone. Lots of people have these experiences. It really doesn't answer the question but I don't think that question has an answer.
Your boyfriend saw a ghost.
What very positive thing are you going to do with that knowledge?
I'm very into the psychology of 'use'.;)

I enjoyed your story.
I lived in a house backing into a graveyard like twelve foot away from buried people just a small fence between my garden and graves. I used to jump over the fence to jog around the graveyard at night but I stopped because I saw things and heard things that frightened me big time. From my back window smoking at night I would see orbs falling from the sky into graves.
I had seen shadows standing over graves.
The scariest thing I went for a walk with my dog in the graveyard in the middle of the night and when in the graveyard in complete silence I would hear a word said then see candles alight right in front of my eyes. I could feel and hear a almost silent feel of we are here. Just a really low level feeling of noise just below what you can normally hear.
I have no doubt graveyards are spooky. But it wasnt sinister it was uplifting. It was love and peace and I truly believe that the afterlife is peace and great love becusse I truly feel I have witnissed it I have accessed the spirit world. A fortune teller told me as a child I would be the one to prove existince because I can feel the great love that others do not know.
Your story is possible to me he saw a ghost for sure.

Last edited:
I've seen very bad endings happen to people messing with graves.I think its the lack of respect,whether it's spirits or the living relatives angry energy causing the revenge,best to leave these places alone.

Reactions: Lynne and Paintman
Welcome to the forum. Duke may be onto something, it’s very possible it was a real person. At night someone dressed in dark clothing may have been sleeping there. It’s also possible he saw a ghost. I hope the good that comes from this is a lesson in how to behave amongst the dead. A word of caution is that someone who does not respect the dead will have little regard for the living.

Thanks for sharing your experience.