Bodybuilder Franco Columbu Passed Away

Paintman

Go Go White Sox
Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
20190901_082219.jpg
Franco Columbo just passed away. 2 time Mr Olympia and legendary strongman. He had a heart attack while swimming off the coast of Sardinia.
He proved that short men could compete against tall guys. Arnold wrote a very glowing tribute to his best friend and I can't get it to post here. Big influence on me.
He became a chiropractor and a nutritionist. Arnold always put him in his movies.

Schwarzenegger shared a long tribute to Columbu, who played an important part in the actor's early career in Europe.

"You’ve heard me say that I don’t like when people call me a self-made man. You’ve even heard me say that you’re part of the reason I could never accept that label. But I wanted you to know why," Schwarzenegger wrote in an open letter to Columbu. "From the minute we met in Munich, you were my partner in crime. We pushed each other, we competed with each other, and we laughed at every moment along the way."

Schwarzenegger later wrote, "I am devastated today. But I am also so, so grateful for the 54 years of friendship and joy we shared. The pumps, the chess games, the construction work, the meals, the pranks, the life lessons — we did it all together. We grew and we learned and we loved. My life was more fun, more colorful, and more complete because of you."

Schwarzenegger vowed to "be there" for Columbu's family.