Bob Bain's UFO Question: NPR EXTRA

U

Uncle Creepy

Mysterious Matters returns later this year. But first Bob wanted input from professional journalists on how to handle fact-checking questionable accounts (if it's required at all).

NPR EXTRA reached out to Bob to let him know that his submitted question would be asked live on Tuesday, January 23rd. This question had to do with fact-checking the claims of guests prior to the interview. Is it something that should happen or just enjoy the conversation?

I would think that the more the host knows about the guest, the better the interview will go. If that means fact checking, then yes, do it.

Reactions: Debi
The above video and audio edition will be seen or listened to by nearly a million individuals.
This is the first time Mysterious Matters has appeared in any form on NPR programming.

The above video and audio edition will be seen or listened to by nearly a million individuals.
This is the first time Mysterious Matters has appeared in any form on NPR programming.
This is so cool, Bob! Great way to get the new Mysterious Matters rolling this year!

It should be done anyway...
That is easier said than done.
What most people don't understand is the work required just to produce one show. And then if you add onto being a producer and host of a show, the additional responsibility of being an in-depth researcher for an interview that is happening days after another interview... well you have a multiple jobs being handled by one person.

Considering that I am one of the best in the field in terms of interview skills and popularity; I've done a good enough job. Debi knows all too well how many hours can go into scheduling shows and booking guests because at one time she was my producer. It isn't as easy as most may think. If I had a staff of two extra individuals (co-producer and a researcher) then Mysterious Matters would be live four days a week.

But without those, Mysterious Matters has nearly 100,000 listeners when we last produced a show in 2017. That is very close to Beyond The Darkness numbers.

You may not know me but you probably have heard of two of my interview skill mentors.
Art Bell and Ian Punnett.

Debi knows all too well how many hours can go into scheduling shows and booking guests because at one time she was my producer. It isn't as easy as most may think.
It's not easy at all. Finding guests is one thing. Small pool and fishing outside of the main pool takes a lot of time right there. Booking them and meeting their time needs is another whole storyboard! Things pop up and you have to shift dates and times all the time. Add in the research time and it's pretty much a full time thing if you want to do it right. You get the picture...time, time, time!

Reactions: Hiya
It's not easy at all. Finding guests is one thing. Small pool and fishing outside of the main pool takes a lot of time right there. Booking them and meeting their time needs is another whole storyboard! Things pop up and you have to shift dates and times all the time. Add in the research time and it's pretty much a full time thing if you want to do it right. You get the picture...time, time, time!
...and that is the main reason I am cutting back to two episodes a month except for the no brainpower required all ghost stories month of October. Then I may go all out and invite 30 guests for the month.

Then if you have a guest with claims of a UFO sighting, abduction, you have to either go with their word or do a thorough investigation into their claims prior to them appearing on the show. That is nearly impossible unless you have the funds and resources. You did a great job as our producer though! Helped a lot and it was and still is appreciated.

Then if you have a guest with claims of a UFO sighting, abduction, you have to either go with their word or do a thorough investigation into their claims prior to them appearing on the show. That is nearly impossible unless you have the funds and resources. You did a great job as our producer though! Helped a lot and it was and still is appreciated.
Thanks, Bob. It was both fun and terrifying! lol

Reactions: Lynne and Hiya