Bird watchers

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Got any bird watchers out there? I do more than watch....I have a little bird sanctuary in my back yard! The hummingbirds are in now but this is what just set up shop in my back woods and swoop in daily to feed:

pileated-woodpecker-male_1421_web1.jpg

These are pileated woodpeckers and they are huge!

images

Seen anything neat at the birdfeeder this spring?

There have been a few hummingbirds, but it's still a little early for them. I get the woodpeckers, too, although the folks around here call then Indian Hens. There are a couple of Doves that I see in the driveway every morning, but I've never seen them at the feeder. The ones I do see at the feeder are pretty common, though: Blue Jays, Baltimore Orioles, Cardinals, Wrens, Sparrows, Nuthatches,, Scarlet Tanagers, Chickadees... and, of course, the Grackles, who come in and bully everyone else away from the food. I'm not very fond of Grackles.

Reactions: Debi
we have bird wars in our yard. The Blue jays and Crackles fight each other everyday. God forbid the cardinal shows up,then it is crazy. I do love the hummingbirds

Reactions: Debi
We have 2 nesting hummingbirds in the trees outback. It's quite impressive. We let the back lawn grow into meadow and now we have lots of birds & butterflies. What's in your sanctuary Debi? We let the lawn in back grow out and put up a fence, it's an isolated part of the yard as the dogs can't get back there & aside from planting some birch trees and hanging a few feeders we haven't done anything else yet. my next project is to build some Purple Martin and Swallow houses as we have quite a few of those. We have a solitary Great Horned owl in the Norwegian spruce & an eagle down the road in the swamp. Love birds.

Reactions: Naked Apple
There have been a few hummingbirds, but it's still a little early for them. I get the woodpeckers, too, although the folks around here call then Indian Hens. There are a couple of Doves that I see in the driveway every morning, but I've never seen them at the feeder. The ones I do see at the feeder are pretty common, though: Blue Jays, Baltimore Orioles, Cardinals, Wrens, Sparrows, Nuthatches,, Scarlet Tanagers, Chickadees... and, of course, the Grackles, who come in and bully everyone else away from the food. I'm not very fond of Grackles.
Scarlet Tanangers!!! I envy that, so lucky!

I don't have much of a yard, but the hummingbirds that feed at the neighbors are always fighting over the feeders. They actually will sit in the trees too, but not very long. Lately I have heard some doves, but I don't know where they are yet.

Reactions: Indigo
We have 2 nesting hummingbirds in the trees outback. It's quite impressive. We let the back lawn grow into meadow and now we have lots of birds & butterflies. What's in your sanctuary Debi? We let the lawn in back grow out and put up a fence, it's an isolated part of the yard as the dogs can't get back there & aside from planting some birch trees and hanging a few feeders we haven't done anything else yet. my next project is to build some Purple Martin and Swallow houses as we have quite a few of those. We have a solitary Great Horned owl in the Norwegian spruce & an eagle down the road in the swamp. Love birds.
I live on wooded land, so I have bird feeders all over the place of all kinds, birdhouses, and a bird bath. I have over 30 species of birds out there on a regular basis. Since we're wooded, we have a large population of woodpeckers, which can often sound like a construction site when they all get going at once out there! We also have squirrels all over, and my biggest issue is keeping the raccoons out of the feeders at night. Pretty much a hopeless endeavor, but I do give it a shot over their heads at times just as a deterrent. Seed is pricey! I use black oil sunflower, suet, finch seed in nets, and mixed seed in a few other cedar feeders. Also keep out oranges for the ones who prefer it, and make my own hummingbird "juice". Takes about 20 minutes a day to get everything restocked out there.

I live on wooded land, so I have bird feeders all over the place of all kinds, birdhouses, and a bird bath. I have over 30 species of birds out there on a regular basis. Since we're wooded, we have a large population of woodpeckers, which can often sound like a construction site when they all get going at once out there! We also have squirrels all over, and my biggest issue is keeping the raccoons out of the feeders at night. Pretty much a hopeless endeavor, but I do give it a shot over their heads at times just as a deterrent. Seed is pricey! I use black oil sunflower, suet, finch seed in nets, and mixed seed in a few other cedar feeders. Also keep out oranges for the ones who prefer it, and make my own hummingbird "juice". Takes about 20 minutes a day to get everything restocked out there.
Wow that sounds awesome! Reminds me of the set up my grandma has. When I was little my step dad would sit me out by the dead tree she had a lot of feeders on & scatter seed on me and had me hold my hands out with seed in the palms. Birds did come, it's awesome to have a chickadee eat right out of your palm. As a kid I thought that was so magical! Birds have always been a great passion of mine. The Red Tail Hawk is one of my totems. You ever have deer eating out of all those feeders?!

Reactions: Seahunter and Debi
I love the deer! But I try to keep the feeders within the fenced in area. The bird houses are all over, but the seed and feed I try to protect a bit! Like I said, PRICEY!

IMG_0628.JPG

Took a quick (and poor quality) shot of one of my feeder stations thro the window earlier. If you look very closely, there is a hummingbird feeding on the right side of that feeder. It was also drizzling outside, so sorry for the poor quality of it, but it gives you an idea.

Reactions: Indigo